PDA

View Full Version : Dr Pepper coming to McDonalds

CitrusCola
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
This is a big win for the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

McDonald’s Boots Coca-Cola’s Pibb for Rival Dr Pepper (Update1) - Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aisa97meM21o&refer=muse)

Tannerman
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
So the question is... what drink is getting bumped to fit Dr Pepper in?

popologist
04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
So the question is... what drink is getting bumped to fit Dr Pepper in?

Pibb is being bumped for Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper was already at more than half of the stores (like, here, in NYC).

There are three other spots on a McDonald's fountain though... and franchise coops will vote on what should go there. Diet Dr Pepper will be a possible option.

The article also says that Coke Zero will be "tested" at some stores. :)

Either way, this is definitely good news for Dr Pepper, Diet Dr Pepper and Coke Zero. Not so good for Pibb, though.

Pixel
04-27-2009, 02:30 PM
YES!!!!! Coke Zero at McD's, my prayers have finally been answered!

Mr Zabe
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
YES!!!!! Coke Zero at McD's, my prayers have finally been answered! Power Aid appeartley is getting cut for Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper
is a great addition. Below link is a good read.

Dr Pepper in McDonalds: McDonald's restaurants making Dr Pepper more widely available -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-dr-pepper-mcdonalds-apr27,0,935085.story)

popologist
04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
YES!!!!! Coke Zero at McD's, my prayers have finally been answered!

well, Coke Zero is only being "tested" at a few stores. it's not part of the official offerings. here's a list of the brands coke offers to franchisers (who then vote on what they want):

Powerade, Sprite Zero, Fanta Grape, Fanta Strawberry, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Barq's Root Beer, Minute Maid Lemonade and Minute Maid Lemonade Light

Coke Zero is just being tested... probably to see how it performs and/or how adversely it affects the sales of Diet Coke.

here's another article on the story:
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D97QTFMG0.htm

popologist
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Power Aid appeartley is getting cut for Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper
is a great addition. Below link is a good read.

Dr Pepper in McDonalds: McDonald's restaurants making Dr Pepper more widely available -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-dr-pepper-mcdonalds-apr27,0,935085.story)

i read that "pibb xtra" was being cut, not powerade. powerade is still a regional option.

apparently, McD's has 8 slots per fountain. 5 are static: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Hi-C and now Dr Pepper.

the remaining 3 are determined by the preference of regional franchiser coops. those brands are:
Powerade, Sprite Zero, Fanta Grape, Fanta Strawberry, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Barq's Root Beer, Minute Maid Lemonade and Minute Maid Lemonade Light

so your local McD's may still offer powerade. it also seems that powerade will be offered in bottled form, along with Dasani water.

Tannerman
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
The fact that Hi-C is a "standard" offering just cracks me up.

popologist
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
The fact that Hi-C is a "standard" offering just cracks me up.
now that you mention it... that IS odd. lol i think it's the mysterious "orange drink", right? i think it's popular with little kids.

Tannerman
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
now that you mention it... that IS odd. lol i think it's the mysterious "orange drink", right? i think it's popular with little kids.

Well, it's not the same as McD's official "orange drink" that they use for fundraisers, events, etc (I've got a friend who owns several franchises who confirmed that). I just wonder why the Hi-C orange vs. the more well-known Fanta option.

Pixel
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
The way I drink CZ and the sheer number of McDonald's that I visit, I'm sure I'll single-handedly push CZ into all the restaurants permanently!

Mr Zabe
04-27-2009, 05:35 PM
The way I drink CZ and the sheer number of McDonald's that I visit, I'm sure I'll single-handedly push CZ into all the restaurants permanently! LOL You might want to find a way to buy some Attends wholesale. LOL Coke Zero will be a big seller for MC D's. I have been a big fan of Coke Zero since it's roll out.

popologist
04-27-2009, 05:46 PM
LOL You might want to find a way to buy some Attends wholesale. LOL Coke Zero will be a big seller for MC D's. I have been a big fan of Coke Zero since it's roll out.

McD's will definitely give CZ a sales boost. fountains account for 23% of the market and coke controls 70%... and McD's is probably the single, largest % of that 70%.

well, eventually. like the article points out. it's only going to be test-marketed in a few franchises first... to make sure there's a demand for it.

CitrusCola
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
It will be interesting to see how Coke Zero sales compare with Diet Coke sales in the McDonald's locations that have both.

My wife says that several of her friends who used to drink Diet Coke have switched to Coke Zero after trying it. (Isn't Diet Coke supposed to be geared toward women and Coke Zero toward men?)

popologist
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM
It will be interesting to see how Coke Zero sales compare with Diet Coke sales in the McDonald's locations that have both.

My wife says that several of her friends who used to drink Diet Coke have switched to Coke Zero after trying it. (Isn't Diet Coke supposed to be geared toward women and Coke Zero toward men?)

that's how coke is marketing it... because they discovered that many young males associate the word "diet" as "feminine" and, so, felt uncomfortable drinking diet drinks.

but, clearly, it really comes down to taste. i'm a guy and i drink coke zero because i think it tastes a helluva lot better than diet coke. my brother prefers diet coke, though.

the difference in formulas is this:
--diet coke uses the "new" coke formula & is sweetened with aspartame
--coke zero uses the classic coke formula & is sweetened w/ aspartame & ace-k

(note: technically, since diet coke came before "new" coke... new coke used the diet coke formula) ;)

drpep
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Never seen Pibb at McDonalds.

popologist
04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Never seen Pibb at McDonalds.

i think it's more popular in the midwest and south.

well, until now. McD's dumping Pibb is gonna really hurt its market share (whatever it is).

SamC
04-28-2009, 07:49 AM
The interesting thing to me is the insight into the inner workings of McDonald's. Apparently the USA is divided into some 100-odd "cooperatives" and these will vote on the "wild card" spots. Seems an odd way of doing things to me. I would have thought that they could get far more local than that. One side of town might have different tastes than another.

To a complete outsider trying to dope out this "election" I would say that:

Dirt Dr Pepper would appear in places of high Dr Pepper popularity, which would be Texas and the southwest.

Multiple diet options would appear to be the choice in "healthy lifestyle" places like SoCal, NoCal and such. Although if you are really a healthy lifestyle person you have no business at McD's anyway.

Root beer likewise has some places where it is far more popular. New Orleans and the Gulf south coast; rural midwest; mountian west.

Caffiene free versions obviously likewise would carry the day in the mountain west homeland of the LDS Church.

The non-carbonated lemonade options would likewise appeal to the "health" consumers.

The Coke Zero issue seems to be McD and KO HQs simply limiting its availability. Testing means some areas will not get it. My guess is that the results will be the Coke Zero brings in new customers. I certainly would choose from among the various brands the one with Coke Zero.

Tannerman
04-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I recently met with some folks from McDs corporate during a Web networking event (yeah, my real job). Some web developer friends of mine recently launched AboutMcDonalds.com (http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/) for them.

Anyway, was talking to their head of internal communications, and he was talking about the Coke deal, noting that even though it's so huge, it's really still just a handshake agreement with them, having to do with the history that the two companies had together. Not sure how the breaks down in relevance to this Dr Pepper move, but I got the impression that the Coke wall of dominance wasn't something that was legally bound on every fountain dispenser.

popologist
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I recently met with some folks from McDs corporate during a Web networking event (yeah, my real job). Some web developer friends of mine recently launched AboutMcDonalds.com (http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/) for them.

Anyway, was talking to their head of internal communications, and he was talking about the Coke deal, noting that even though it's so huge, it's really still just a handshake agreement with them, having to do with the history that the two companies had together. Not sure how the breaks down in relevance to this Dr Pepper move, but I got the impression that the Coke wall of dominance wasn't something that was legally bound on every fountain dispenser.

McDonald's and Coca-Cola kind of "go together" though. They've been together so long and they're both such iconic "American" brands. I think it would actually hurt McDonald's image a little if they dumped Coke. McD's and Coke are sort of like a couple.

popologist
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
The interesting thing to me is the insight into the inner workings of McDonald's. Apparently the USA is divided into some 100-odd "cooperatives" and these will vote on the "wild card" spots. Seems an odd way of doing things to me. I would have thought that they could get far more local than that. One side of town might have different tastes than another.

To a complete outsider trying to dope out this "election" I would say that:

Dirt Dr Pepper would appear in places of high Dr Pepper popularity, which would be Texas and the southwest.

Multiple diet options would appear to be the choice in "healthy lifestyle" places like SoCal, NoCal and such. Although if you are really a healthy lifestyle person you have no business at McD's anyway.

Root beer likewise has some places where it is far more popular. New Orleans and the Gulf south coast; rural midwest; mountian west.

Caffiene free versions obviously likewise would carry the day in the mountain west homeland of the LDS Church.

The non-carbonated lemonade options would likewise appeal to the "health" consumers.

The Coke Zero issue seems to be McD and KO HQs simply limiting its availability. Testing means some areas will not get it. My guess is that the results will be the Coke Zero brings in new customers. I certainly would choose from among the various brands the one with Coke Zero.

i understand what you're saying, but... i think their reasoning for using regional co-ops is for consistency. in other words, McDonald's wants someone on the west side of a city to be able to expect the same thing when they enter a McD's on the east side of the city. it sort of makes sense.

of course, as you pointed out, since these decisions cover an entire region, NYC (which drinks a lot of diet/zero drinks) won't have to drink rootbeer, which might be popular somewhere else (and vice versa).

i'm hopeful that coke zero will be test-marketed in NYC though. i'll let you know if i see it here.

drpep
04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Dirt Dr Pepper would appear in places of high Dr Pepper popularity, the southwest.

I bet this tastes better than that awful Chocolate Cherry one they had a few years ago :)

brisco
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Ahh, the official soft drink of rednecks. :)

Off-topic, but my understanding about Mormons is that they do not consume soft drinks of any kind.

BottleBoss
04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Mormons do drink soft drinks. Of all kinds. I think some mormons probably drink too many soft drinks. (Like everyone else) The LDS church has recomended to its members that they avoid drinks with caffeine as part of their law of good health, but they have never said to avoid soda consumption. As for the caffeine free versions of soft drinks outside of utah almost everyhting seems to be available in the free version around here in Maryland.

Mr Zabe
04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I seem to recall that the older generation of Amish do not drink soda pop.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm too lazy to do a Google search.
I did see a couple of documentaries that showed the younger generation of
the Amish doing more cross cultural things.