PDA

View Full Version : Flip flops about HFCS vs. sugar

Hacksaw
05-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Well, Snapple said they were made from the best things on Earth. Yet, they switch away from their long used HFCS to sugar in some products. Hansen's has been selling there sodas now with cane sugar, instead of the HFCS they used for decades.

Jones made the switch as well. Retro Pepsi & Retro Mt. Dew are now here, with sugar.

Is price the reason? Taste? Health concerns?

Mr Zabe
05-20-2009, 03:00 AM
Well, Snapple said they were made from the best things on Earth. Yet, they switch away from their long used HFCS to sugar in some products. Hansen's has been selling there sodas now with cane sugar, instead of the HFCS they used for decades.

Jones made the switch as well. Retro Pepsi & Retro Mt. Dew are now here, with sugar.

Is price the reason? Taste? Health concerns?

Is about marketing and catagory optimization....MONEY.
( Roll out coupons, hot sales pricing )
Give these new variants time and the honey moon effect
will moderate the sales number.

popologist
05-20-2009, 07:35 AM
it's a fad.

Tannerman
05-20-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree that its a marketing trend -- though happy to see it. You'll note that the brands that have made the switch aren't market leaders, they are usually #2 or #3. It's one way to differentiate your product from the #1.

popologist
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree that its a marketing trend -- though happy to see it. You'll note that the brands that have made the switch aren't market leaders, they are usually #2 or #3. It's one way to differentiate your product from the #1.

so once coca-cola gets on board, the trend will be over. remember C2?

Tannerman
05-20-2009, 01:08 PM
so once coca-cola gets on board, the trend will be over. remember C2?

Well, it helps if your product doesn't taste like refuse :)

popologist
05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, it helps if your product doesn't taste like refuse :)

i actually liked C2 and was sad when it went away. thank goodness they gave us coke zero. i just don't like diet coke much.

Android
05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
i actually liked C2 and was sad when it went away..

Likewise with myself and Pepsi Edge. Then they reformulated Pepsi One which became my main Pepsi product to drink. Who knows how much longer that one will be around for though.