PDA

View Full Version : Soda market

newage
05-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Coke and Pepsi showing any increase in sales or are they still trending down compared to their non carb brands?

popologist
05-29-2009, 12:09 AM
from what i've read, they expect this year to be tough, but for things to turn around in 2010. they've been losing volume since about 2002 (i think), but are expecting a bottom sometime soon.

what i'm waiting to see is whether diet coke will finally pass pepsi as #2... or whether pepsi will manage to stave off a major upset. it's gonna be close. and pepsi surely won't go down without a fight.

of course, i'd also like to see coke zero finally crack the top ten. that's my favorite drink. :)

lordmadone
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
My prediction from an infield perspective is that diet pepsi will make a turnaround ..expect much with this new logo a LOT has not been played yet and it has so much marketing potential as of yet tapped into. I doubt d.coke will surpass Pepsi..but with all the "seasonal" flavors that take away from the core pepsi that seems to happen often. Vault zero gone now and in the foreseeable future? Is there chance for ANY comeback or is it doomed for failure..vault brand as a whole that is? I mean millions of dollars spent and for what? Same with VW whats going on with it? In our area and in many stores our Lifewater seems to be on pace to beat it out market share AND volume wise..our pricing trends are better..and our newly designed bottles make our product look far less generic. I see a lot more potential in M.Dew as a whole and it will continue its growth and wipe off the crumbs that are its "competition" ..people are buying less soda tho as a whole..inflation and job losses have contributed to that highly but I believe consumers have too much of a connection with CSDs to let it go down that far especially in its largest market(USA).

popologist
06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
YEAR ..2008 ..2007 ..2006 ..2005
pepsi ...10.3 ...10.7 ...11.0 ...11.2
d.coke .10.0 ...10.0 ....9.8 .....9.8

these are the market share numbers from the last 4 years. if pepsi continues declining at its current rate and diet coke holds steady, diet coke will pass pepsi as the #2 soft drink in the US... this year.

like i said above. it's going to be close this year, and i'm sure that, both, pepsico and coca-cola are well aware of the stakes... which is probably why pepsi updated its logos.

skylark68
06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Are that many people insane? Diet Coke tastes terrible!

Sorry, I've felt that way ever since its introduction.

popologist
06-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Are that many people insane? Diet Coke tastes terrible!

Sorry, I've felt that way ever since its introduction.

i agree. of the leading brands of diet colas, i think diet coke is one of the worst... but i know a lot of people who actually PREFER it to regular coke and pepsi. (go figure!)

here's how i'd rank them now:
Coke Zero - tastes like regular Coke to me
Pepsi One (before they added Splenda) - tasted almost like regular Pepsi
Diet Pepsi - tastes like watered-down Pepsi with too much sugar
Diet Coke - tastes like artificially sweetened aluminum
Pepsi Max - tastes like black pepper (i almost threw it out)
Tab - tastes like a 9-volt battery

but it all boils down to personal preference... and, for some reason, more people prefer Diet Coke to the others. i believe taste tests back that up as well, but i'm not certain.

Mr Zabe
06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
i agree. of the leading brands of diet colas, i think diet coke is one of the worst... but i know a lot of people who actually PREFER it to regular coke and pepsi. (go figure!)

but it all boils down to personal preference... and, for some reason, more people prefer Diet Coke to the others. i believe taste tests back that up as well, but i'm not certain.
I wonder how I ever drank that swill (TAB) back in the 70's. LOL

popologist
06-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I wonder how I ever drank that swill (TAB) back in the 70's. LOL
didn't TaB have something called "cyclamates" in it back then? and did that have an aftertaste like saccharin or was it better?

skylark68
06-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I don't drink diet colas very often, but I can agree with your assessment. I've just learned to only drink 1 or maybe 2 sodas a day since I'm not young anymore and will put on the pounds. haha

the saint
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't drink diet colas very often, but I can agree with your assessment. I've just learned to only drink 1 or maybe 2 sodas a day since I'm not young anymore and will put on the pounds. haha

you mean that is why I am fat??? I only drink about 1 case a week, is that too much? haha