PDA

View Full Version : Double Cola and Ski in Wellston Ohio

doulasc
05-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Is the bottling plant still open or did it close? oer was the plant in Jackson Ohio?
Did Double Cola and Ski get distributed outside Jackson County? When I delivered
to Kenworth in Chillicothe Ohio ( I drive for UPS-SCS out of Columbus),I would
see people drinking Ski but I never saw Ski in stores in Ross County.

Doug

Man From Ohio
05-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Gem Beverages in Wellston no longer bottles Double Cola and Ski (or even its own line of GEM Beverages) but is still active as a distributor of them. Most, if not all, of the DC and Ski they handle is from Tri-State Canning out of Evansville, Indiana. Before traveling through the area last month, I spoke to a lady at GEM about where to find places that sell DC and Ski. I found Ski, Diet Ski, Cherry Ski and Double Cola (the latter only in 20 ounce plastic bottles) in Jackson and Wellston.

I know Gem's distribution area, which used to cover a great part of south central and southeastern Ohio, has regrettably shrunk over the years. Company CEO Rex Holzapel (spelling?) was quoted in a 2002 interview as listing 8 counties Gem distributes product to. Ross was one of those counties but I don't know if it still is. I'm pretty sure you can still find Ski in Pike County, though. I hope to make a trip through Chillicothe before the summer is over and will report on what I find. One suggestion: as a rule, you're more likely to find Ski (and possibly Double Cola) at convenience stores, small mom and pop stores, and smaller supermarket chains such as Foodland and IGA, rather than places like Kroger and Wal-Mart. The one notable exception would be Kroger in Jackson and Wellston, which carry Ski. The Wellston Foodland had Double Cola as well.