PDA

View Full Version : Gee... Why didn't I think of that ?

SumPoosieCat
06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Cocaine found in Red Bull cola are you kidding me ? How crazy is that ? Why would a company as big as Red Bull do something like this ?

Mr Zabe
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Cocaine found in Red Bull cola are you kidding me ? How crazy is that ? Why would a company as big as Red Bull do something like this ? I got a giggle when I read that article. Hey, I really like your new Avatar (Ooo LaLa).

E-Ratings
06-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Redbull seems to be behind in the energy drink game... i mean it took them forever just to release different sizes let alone an energy shot.

I guess instead of new products they have to keep their customers coming back with "other" methods...

jetset
06-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Are you serious, you really think Red Bull is sitting there dropping kilos of cocaine into the batch tank?!?! Do you really think there is all this cocaine in the product or did you just read the title of an article and assume something. You would have to drink over 30,000 cans (over 2800 gallons) of the product just to have any harmful effect, and by then the caffeine would have done more harm than anything else!!! Analysis found 0.00000013g of cocaine was found and they were using a product that had the cocaine alkaloid removed....you will find more caffeine in decaffeinated tea product than you find cocaine in a deconcainized extract.

scum1
06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
You are right Jetset and to top it all off Red Bull Cola is not an energy drink and does not claim to be. It is simply a cola made with natural ingredients. The caffeine in it is probably less than a Mountain Dew. There was no actual Cocaine in the drink either. There are other drinks that use coca leaf for flavoring with the alkaloid removed. There is a good chance Coke uses coca flavoring as well.

"Because cocaine is naturally present in coca leaves, today's Coca-Cola uses "spent", or treated, coca leaves, those that have been through a cocaine extraction process, to flavor the beverage. Some contend that this process cannot extract all of the cocaine alkaloids at a molecular level, and so the drink still contains trace amounts of the stimulant.[1][3] The Coca-Cola Company currently refuses to comment on the continued presence of coca leaf in Coca-Cola.[4][5]" from
Coca-Cola formula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula)

The only genius is all this is that it was a ton of free publicity.

Are you serious, you really think Red Bull is sitting there dropping kilos of cocaine into the batch tank?!?! Do you really think there is all this cocaine in the product or did you just read the title of an article and assume something. You would have to drink over 30,000 cans (over 2800 gallons) of the product just to have any harmful effect, and by then the caffeine would have done more harm than anything else!!! Analysis found 0.00000013g of cocaine was found and they were using a product that had the cocaine alkaloid removed....you will find more caffeine in decaffeinated tea product than you find cocaine in a deconcainized extract.

greg
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
It still taste like crap in my opinion.

You are right Jetset and to top it all off Red Bull Cola is not an energy drink and does not claim to be. It is simply a cola made with natural ingredients. The caffeine in it is probably less than a Mountain Dew. There was no actual Cocaine in the drink either. There are other drinks that use coca leaf for flavoring with the alkaloid removed. There is a good chance Coke uses coca flavoring as well.

"Because cocaine is naturally present in coca leaves, today's Coca-Cola uses "spent", or treated, coca leaves, those that have been through a cocaine extraction process, to flavor the beverage. Some contend that this process cannot extract all of the cocaine alkaloids at a molecular level, and so the drink still contains trace amounts of the stimulant.[1][3] The Coca-Cola Company currently refuses to comment on the continued presence of coca leaf in Coca-Cola.[4][5]" from
Coca-Cola formula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula)

The only genius is all this is that it was a ton of free publicity.

scum1
06-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes greg it is pretty much one of those you love or hate kind of drinks.

It still taste like crap in my opinion.

SumPoosieCat
06-06-2009, 01:46 PM

So is the German government ! Its just plain stupid. Cocaine in the product ? What if it was a very small amount of horse poop. Would that be ok?

jetset
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Sure, horse poop is delightful and can be classified as WONF.

But honestly, I bet you could find similar findings in another cola out there that uses coca leaf as an ingredient.

But I don't really think Red Bull is hating this press, the product hasn't been selling that well, it is getting it in the consumer's mind and it is probably getting a nice little bump in sales from those who are looking for a cheap buzz (which they won't get).

greg
06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Sure, horse poop is delightful and can be classified as WONF.

But honestly, I bet you could find similar findings in another cola out there that uses coca leaf as an ingredient.

But I don't really think Red Bull is hating this press, the product hasn't been selling that well, it is getting it in the consumer's mind and it is probably getting a nice little bump in sales from those who are looking for a cheap buzz (which they won't get).

OR, It could be a good opportunity to take it off the shelves and save face!!!!

scum1
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I have seen a lot of traffic to my Red Bull Cola review. I have also seen more people drinking it when I am out and about. I had some work done on my house and some of the crew were drinking them. If the price were cheaper I would drink them more myself.

SumPoosieCat
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I have seen a lot of traffic to my Red Bull Cola review. I have also seen more people drinking it when I am out and about. I had some work done on my house and some of the crew were drinking them. If the price were cheaper I would drink them more myself.

Hey lets come out with a cola that is very expensive and taste God awful... and then right behind that awesome success lets come out with a really small energy shot during a recession, come to market last with it AND charge a huge price for it. Sounds great huh!

Unreal.

jetset
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I totally agree with your thoughts on the Red Bull Energy Shot, why would they insist on keeping the product at 2oz when RockStar, NOS & Monster are all in larger containers, and then still charge a ton - seems like corporate arrogance to me thinking that people will buy your product just because it is Red Bull.

greg
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I totally agree with your thoughts on the Red Bull Energy Shot, why would they insist on keeping the product at 2oz when RockStar, NOS & Monster are all in larger containers, and then still charge a ton - seems like corporate arrogance to me thinking that people will buy your product just because it is Red Bull.

Just because its larger doesn't make it better. I will gladly pay more for 2oz of product that taste better and has more efficacy than a bland 3-4oz shot at a cheaper price.....lets remember the category...FUNCTIONAL drinks.

the saint
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM

that last line can be said about any company, they are all the same. Had this same conversation with one of the managers yesterday about corporate arrogance and thinking that their product will sell no matter what.

(just for background info, 3 of the largest chains here in town have had fountain drinks on sale for the last THREE months for 69 cents or less a 32 oz) he says to me "why are your 20 oz and 1 ltr numbers down 43 percent combined this quarter?" I said "people are not buying the 20 oz or 1 liter as much because for less than a dollar you can get a 32 oz fountain drink a over half of my accounts." He says "that shouldn't have any effect on 20 oz sales" I say " well when 20 oz are $1.49 plus tax or higher and 1 liters are $1.79 or higher and a fountain drink has been around half or a third of that for 3 months, sooner or later the 20 oz/ 1 liter numbers are going to suffer"
he mumbles some noise about this and that and blah blah blah then pulls up volume for my entire route for the 2nd qtr and says " I mean look at your numbers, your 1 liter sales are down (ummm $.69 32 oz ftn drink vs. $1.79 + 33.8 oz bottle), your 20 oz sales are down ( again $.69 32 oz ftn drink vs. $1.49+ 20 oz bottle), all of your non carb sales are flat to prior year or up (depending on which brand/package) your energy sales are up. Your bag in the box numbers are thru the roof, you are up over 5000 gallons to prior year!! whats going on with that? why is it so high??" I asked if he was seriously wanting an answer for his questions, when he said "yeah I am trying to get to the bottom of this." I said "I got nothing for you if you can't figure it out by yourself" then I just shook my head, kinda laughed and told him I was going home.

jetset
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Just because its larger doesn't make it better. I will gladly pay more for 2oz of product that taste better and has more efficacy than a bland 3-4oz shot at a cheaper price.....lets remember the category...FUNCTIONAL drinks.

Right, you want Function, but when you can grab a Monster shot that is 3oz and it has the equivalent amount of FUNCTIONAL ingredients as 16oz of their carbonated energy and still costs less than the Red Bull shot, then why.....

greg
06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Right, you want Function, but when you can grab a Monster shot that is 3oz and it has the equivalent amount of FUNCTIONAL ingredients as 16oz of their carbonated energy and still costs less than the Red Bull shot, then why.....

What about taste..you failed to mention taste which is an important deciding factor for many people. Furthermore, personally I feel that a 16oz Monster does not provide that much energy.
With that being said I believe that there are better shots out there to choose from than the two you mentioned. Both entries were put in the market place as just a smaller version of the original with hardly a flavor tweak. They came late from Industry giants that finally realized they were missing market share in the category. They just relied on their name and their "Big Brother" flavor and ingredient profile to sell their shot.

SumPoosieCat
06-12-2009, 12:25 AM
When I go to the dollar store I see more and more energy shots. This game is over and the day of the 2.99 or 3.99 will soon be the day of 2 for 3 bucks. Red Bull late to a game that is already over.

BigBird
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
When I go to the dollar store I see more and more energy shots. This game is over and the day of the 2.99 or 3.99 will soon be the day of 2 for 3 bucks. Red Bull late to a game that is already over.

Absolutely true regarding price. In fact, there's a place around where I live that sells a lot of EDs 2/$3 and I never buy those from any other place unless they have nearly the same price or it's a reasonable price and I'm in the area.

As for Red Bull I see less and less people drinking it these days compared to just about every other ED brand out there. Out here Full Throttle and Rockstar are cheapest and right now those brands probably claim about 50% market share out here right now and with the typical market share of AMP, Monster and NOS that's actually extremely impressive for those brands and they're picking up a lot of old-time RB drinkers. I like to think of RB and the cheaper EDs to the '08 elections: the people who like things the way they are got pwnd by people who like change and trying out new things.

greg
06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
like to think of RB and the cheaper EDs to the '08 elections: the people who like things the way they are got pwnd by people who like change and trying out new things.

HHMMMMM A change is ALWAYS good??? "New" Coke? And furthermore, exactly how is that the current administration is making thigs so much better for the American People??

Cheap Aint good and Good Aint Cheap is one way to look at it......26-40g of sugar per serving is good how????

greg
06-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Theres more energy shots because more players came to the game. We saw it in ED's as well.

BevNET.com: Huge Growth, Tiny Footprint (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2009/6-16-2009-energy_shot_growth)

SumPoosieCat
06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Theres more energy shots because more players came to the game. We saw it in ED's as well.

BevNET.com: Huge Growth, Tiny Footprint (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2009/6-16-2009-energy_shot_growth)

I am seeing more and more at the dollar discount store. Everyone thought they would jump in and get some of the 2.99 gravy train that is no longer there. Jumping late into a fad is never a good idea.

greg
06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I am seeing more and more at the dollar discount store. Everyone thought they would jump in and get some of the 2.99 gravy train that is no longer there. Jumping late into a fad is never a good idea.

Did you even read the article? I think it had some strong data to back the claims that Energy Shots are still growing.

Beverages are just like other industries. many will come to the market but few will succeed. It happened in the automobile industry, the copier machine industry, the software industry, the list goes on.

SumPoosieCat
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
True Greg..... true but the 2.99 energy shot is a FAD. It will not be with us a year from now. I see hundreds of them at convenience stores collecting dust. Many tell me business is down 75% compared to a year or two ago. Will 5 hour continue to sell ? I am sure they will be fine but everyone's margins will continue to shrink and those coming late to the market will find themselves looking for a closeout buyer before their date expires. There is a market for them at the dollar store but the 2.99 shot is going to way of the Dino !!!

BigBird
06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
HHMMMMM A change is ALWAYS good??? "New" Coke? And furthermore, exactly how is that the current administration is making thigs so much better for the American People??

Cheap Aint good and Good Aint Cheap is one way to look at it......26-40g of sugar per serving is good how????

I never said "so much better", I was referring to both sides' views and opinions going into the election.

Also "cheap ain't good"? I paid $1.64 per Monster Assault at one place yet at another I walked out when the guy wanted $2.99 for the same size. I saved myself $1.35 right there, almost a second MA. As for variation across different brands/flavors as long as it works I'm happy with it. I'm not the person who buys a $30K car and doesn't use 90% of the features on it. 26-40g of sugar is just a personal choice; I'm not saying that it's good or bad. Some people freak out when they see massive calories/sugar while other people couldn't care less. Just about everything in regards to EDs is about personal opinion and what works for who.

boodoo
06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
People will continue to buy products as longs as they feel good about their purchase. Not all companies have to have Coke/Pepsi dollars to be successful.

scum1
06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
as in Monster and Red Bull will survive. They have the name recognition and marketing. Many of the small players will fall though just like in the energy drink market. Amps shot failed because it was bad. I think 6 hour, 5 Hour, Monster, Red Bull, Mini Thin Rush, and Redline power rush shots will survive. They all have the name and make good products.

SumPoosieCat
06-30-2009, 01:26 AM
as in Monster and Red Bull will survive. They have the name recognition and marketing. Many of the small players will fall though just like in the energy drink market. Amps shot failed because it was bad. I think 6 hour, 5 Hour, Monster, Red Bull, Mini Thin Rush, and Redline power rush shots will survive. They all have the name and make good products.

Energy Shots = Beanie Babies