PDA

View Full Version : ocean city

jerr2429
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
i am going to ocean city md in july is there anything different there. any canada dry flavors(vanilla cream,wild cherry). any glass bottle soda?

Man From Ohio
06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
By coincidence, I will also be visiting Ocean City MD in the near future. Therefore, I'm bumping this thead in the hope that someone can post about any interesting soft drinks that can be found in OC or vicinity.

fusion
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I live about 2 hours north of there, so I have an idea of what's there.

Coke is CCE, they have the same stuff we have up in eastern MD, for the most part.

Pepsi is Pepsi Bottling Ventures of NC. Standard Pepsi lineup plus Dr Pepper. Things were a lot more exciting when they were indie Pepsi Delmarva - they were a huge DPS bottler.

Canada Dry Delaware Valley is the distributor of the rest of the DPS stuff, vitaminwater, and a few of their own brands, except I don't know if the branch down there carries them. They have a line called Rock Creek, and another called Frank's. They also bottle the Canada Dry flavors.

I live in northern Delaware, but I rarely go further south than Dover, which is in the middle of the state. I've seen the Rock Creek and Canada Dry flavors down that way, but only in a 7-11. They don't seem to sell those lines in grocery stores. Most of the 7-11s up here carry them - some flavors are only 20oz, some are only 2L, some are both. None in cans, though. They also carry Tahitian Treat and Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer - Welcome to PA Dutch! Homepage (http://www.daretogodutch.com/homepage.html) from USA Beverages, as well as the Alex's Lemonade Stand flavors in 20oz - Alex's Bottled Lemonade Home (http://www.daretogodutch.com/alexs/)

Man From Ohio
08-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info, fusion. As it turned out, I didn't get too much time to go soda hunting on the trip but I did see the Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. Also, IIRC, I think a Weis I stopped at in Frederick, Maryland had a house version of this particular type of soda. Another interesting soda was the Pineapple Fanta (2 liter) I saw at either a Food Lion or a Super Fresh. I wish I had bought that one--we don't get such exotic Fanta flavors around Cincinnati, unless it's out at Jungle Jim's, a place I don't get to enough.

A little off topic, but on the way back home, instead of dealing with the horrible traffic on US 50, I drove back most of the way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge though Delaware on state routes 54 and 30, US 13, and state route 404. I had only been through northern Delaware very briefly many years ago, so I found the drive quite interesting. The rural areas, especially along 54 and 30, were quite nice and similar to lot of the rural areas in my native Ohio. One thing I noticed about the billboards along US 13: many of the businesses advertised on them greatly emphasized their Delaware connection, such as State Farm stating it was the top insurer in the state. I assume this is all showing pride in the state, rather than desparately trying to look better to people. :cool: In all seriousness, I liked what I saw and look forward to spending some time in Wilmington and Dover on a future trip.