PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR DISCOUNT on HEADSHOT ENERGY SHOT

headsh0tenergy
06-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Hello guys, I'm new to this forums site. I'd like to share a little easter egg I found.
It seems that the makers of Headshot Energy Shot, Impulse One, have had a little screw-up with production of their product. They apparently printed the wrong expiration date on a large percentage of their products, and have majorly discounted the mis-printed shots. To get in on this discount all you have to do is visit http://ineed.headshotenergyshot.com/

Let me know if you use this!
-Alan

SumPoosieCat
06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Do I really have to say anything..... energy shots with an expiring date on them going on sale..... lol... do I have to say I told you so ... or should I wait.... this is too good.

greg
06-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Do I really have to say anything..... energy shots with an expiring date on them going on sale..... lol... do I have to say I told you so ... or should I wait.... this is too good.

WOW! Talking about just laying one in your lap!!! That was too easy and you took the high road!!! Good Job. LOL

jetset
06-29-2009, 12:11 PM

I don't think you understood the original post, it wasn't that they are selling material that has reached it expiration date, it was that the material was produced and the WRONG expiration date - which makes them unable to be issued to their distributors.

Mr Zabe
06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think you understood the original post, it wasn't that they are selling material that has reached it expiration date, it was that the material was produced and the WRONG expiration date - which makes them unable to be issued to their distributors. IMHO, I would not act on this offer. In my world of beverage-dom,
fresh dates/expiration dates are my Holy Grail. LOL

jetset
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
IMHO, I would not act on this offer. In my world of beverage-dom,
fresh dates/expiration dates are my Holy Grail. LOL

I'm not saying to jump right in either - if you can't get a date right, what else is not correct during this run?!?! I was simpling refuting Sum Poosie's claim that the shots are a fad and they are all heading the way of the dollar store as he pointed out in other threads.

SumPoosieCat
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Not exactly what I said jetset. Let me lay some facts down on you. I have a distributor that buys in large volume energy shots that are not selling for .25 cents each and sells them to the dollar stores for .45 If you check out the discount stores you will find more and more energy shots and brands each month.

This is not an expanding category. Sales are dropping and the prices are coming down already and soon most will see this is just a fad. By the way I never said they will all end up in the dollar store.

Now ... back to your post about the wrong expiration date. Lol...never mind ... I think I will pass.....lol.

jetset
06-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Not exactly what I said jetset. Let me lay some facts down on you. I have a distributor that buys in large volume energy shots that are not selling for .25 cents each and sells them to the dollar stores for .45 If you check out the discount stores you will find more and more energy shots and brands each month.

This is not an expanding category. Sales are dropping and the prices are coming down already and soon most will see this is just a fad. By the way I never said they will all end up in the dollar store.

Now ... back to your post about the wrong expiration date. Lol...never mind ... I think I will pass.....lol.

That is the beauty behind an open market, people see others making a profit off of an item so they hop into the channel thinking they can do the same thing and often find out that they can't - leading to items being sold to close out stores. This happens for all types of drinks, not just shots. I would like to know how many functional waters tried to emulate Vitamin Water, how many teas tried to emulate Arizona, the list goes on and on....it just happens to be that the shots are what is 'hot' at this time....but I don't feel that they are "beanie babies" as you so eloquently stated on another thread. Again, I feel that you are kicking yourself for not getting into this arena earlier - and all this insight and critique from somebody who is basically using a gimmick and sex to sell their product.....

CodsterTX
06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the headsup, my freind and I are splitting 3 cases $15 each

SumPoosieCat
06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
That is the beauty behind an open market, people see others making a profit off of an item so they hop into the channel thinking they can do the same thing and often find out that they can't - leading to items being sold to close out stores. This happens for all types of drinks, not just shots. I would like to know how many functional waters tried to emulate Vitamin Water, how many teas tried to emulate Arizona, the list goes on and on....it just happens to be that the shots are what is 'hot' at this time....but I don't feel that they are "beanie babies" as you so eloquently stated on another thread. Again, I feel that you are kicking yourself for not getting into this arena earlier - and all this insight and critique from somebody who is basically using a gimmick and sex to sell their product.....

You have to be kidding me.... I am just using a gimmick and sex ? Never mind that I use a glass container for my product or that I use the most expensive label in the industry or that I use REAL SUGAR to make the very best product I can... never mind all that... I am just using a gimmick and sex. Unreal.... SumPoosie Cat Energy Drink is just too much for you? Have you listened to any rap songs lately ?

If I was just using a gimmick and sex I wouldn't have blended 11 different flavors to come up with the perfect mixer with Alcohol. I would have stuck it in a plastic bottle with a paper label and made it taste like every other energy drink using HFCS. And then I would have produced it a foreign country to save money on production instead of Manufacturing in the US and paying .65 cents a pound for Real Sugar.

No energy drink uses more expensive packaging and none use better ingredients and unlike many I manufacture my product right here in the US. Gimmick and sex.... lol... maybe you haven't seen a godaddy commercial lately. Get out much ?

jetset
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
You have to be kidding me.... I am just using a gimmick and sex ? Never mind that I use a glass container for my product or that I use the most expensive label in the industry or that I use REAL SUGAR to make the very best product I can... never mind all that... I am just using a gimmick and sex. Unreal.... SumPoosie Cat Energy Drink is just too much for you? Have you listened to any rap songs lately ?

If I was just using a gimmick and sex I wouldn't have blended 11 different flavors to come up with the perfect mixer with Alcohol. I would have stuck it in a plastic bottle with a paper label and made it taste like every other energy drink using HFCS. And then I would have produced it a foreign country to save money on production instead of Manufacturing in the US and paying .65 cents a pound for Real Sugar.

No energy drink uses more expensive packaging and none use better ingredients and unlike many I manufacture my product right here in the US. Gimmick and sex.... lol... maybe you haven't seen a godaddy commercial lately. Get out much ?

Wow, bit defensive?!?! I didn't say others aren't using sex to sell, but with a name like Sum Poosie and the bottle models, it is obvious what you are using to sell the product. I also never said I was offended by it or am a hermit living under a rock, just that before you knock a category that you are not in maybe you should step back a bit. I am very familiar with your product, flavor, label, etc.....Also, Sugar, HFCS, doesn't really matter to the body since both of them are treated exactly the same and all the hype is due to media reports and propaganda from one side or the other. Sucrose is a disaccharice of glucose and fructose and HFCS 55 is 55% Fructose and 45% glucose, so basically the same (especially to the body) - so save the sales pitch for those who don't know better.

Joey
07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
If the date was printed wrong the co-packer would have to eat it. They obviously didn't have the sell thru they expected and are now looking for a way out that will save face for the brand. They don't want to admit their product doesn't move fast enough to avoid experation because distributors will lose faith in the brand or see the direction it's heading. They should use them as freebies or dump em.
Thats just my 2 cents

SumPoosieCat
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Save the sales pitch ? Are you new to this jetset or are you not aware that beverages taste better with Real Sugar compared to HFCS ? I don't use Real Sugar because its better for you I use it because it makes my product taste better. Try a can of Pepsi in a can made with HFCS... and then try a bottle of Pepsi made with Real Sugar and get back with me on which one taste better.....enough said.

SumPoosieCat
07-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Joey... you are 100% correct.

boodoo
07-03-2009, 08:58 AM
My source tells me that they were co-packed out of country and had to be pre-paid. That may explain their strategy.

scum1
07-05-2009, 11:05 PM
That should end some of the speculation

My source tells me that they were co-packed out of country and had to be pre-paid. That may explain their strategy.

NRGSLLR55
07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with SPC, I just saw RockStar Shots being clearanced at Walgreens at 2 / $4, I have seen Headshot at Wal Mart for $1.99 and Monster and NOS being discounted to 2/$3 at many local C Stores. To quote a famous Rock Star, "and the Wall comes tumbling down" Let's see who remains when the dust clears.

By the way, I think E Drinks are rebounding the past two months, anybody else noticing the shift back to beverages from shots?

NRGSLLR55
07-06-2009, 09:25 AM
I am sorry I forgot to comment on the date code issue. If It were truly a misprint as is claimed by the author of this post, I would hold my bottler responsible for replacing the inventory.

jetset
07-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Save the sales pitch ? Are you new to this jetset or are you not aware that beverages taste better with Real Sugar compared to HFCS ? I don't use Real Sugar because its better for you I use it because it makes my product taste better. Try a can of Pepsi in a can made with HFCS... and then try a bottle of Pepsi made with Real Sugar and get back with me on which one taste better.....enough said.

I know the taste impact that sugar has when compared to HFCS, I am very well versed on sweetener profiles and how each nutritive and non-nutritive sweetener interacts in a beverage system. So to answer your question, no I am not new to this, I have been developing products for quite a while now.....

fusion
07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I looked for them at Walmart today, didn't see them like I had in the past. Maybe they disco'd them and now the company is stuck with a lot of product?

Booma69
07-07-2009, 02:38 AM
To confirm some of NRG's and fusion's comments. Sam's Club is discontinuing Monster shot's and blowing them out of their store for $19.81/24.

SumPoosieCat
07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
sniff... sniff... yep just like I thought... its the smell of a fad !!!

scum1
07-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I think the market for Monster is younger and from what I have seen the kids are not really interested in shots. Shot drinkers tend to be older from my experience while kids are happy chugging down the sugar loaded drinks. I think the Red bull shot has a better chance at lasting than the shots from other companies that have a younger market. I mean 5 hour energy is big but that is probably from a 90% adult consumer. Women also tend to be shot drinkers. I know a lot of women who use the 5 hour shots.

To confirm some of NRG's and fusion's comments. Sam's Club is discontinuing Monster shot's and blowing them out of their store for $19.81/24.

E-Ratings
07-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I tend to agree with SCUM1 on this as I see the same things. Energy Shots (in general) seem to be more for an older demographic, using them for play and work.

Monster definitely appeals to a younger demographic, which in my opinion would rather pay $3.00 for a 16 ounce energy drink that lasts longer (time to consume) than a 2 ounce shot that they down right away. Seems more of a perception of what you are getting for your money than the actual results...

the saint
07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
PBG is running RS shots dirt cheap, they are way less than a buck each. I do not know if they are just getting rid of them or what. Even with a 99 cent retail I do not see them selling well.

scum1
07-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Kids want to be seen drinking a cool drink. Shots don't allow you to have that cool factor. Try giving a 15 yr old a RB or Monster Clone and see what happens :eek: Image is everything for teens. On the other hand a woman or man at work is not sitting around drinking Monsters and Rockstars. I catch enough flack myself by older co workers for drinking energy drinks

I tend to agree with SCUM1 on this as I see the same things. Energy Shots (in general) seem to be more for an older demographic, using them for play and work.

Monster definitely appeals to a younger demographic, which in my opinion would rather pay $3.00 for a 16 ounce energy drink that lasts longer (time to consume) than a 2 ounce shot that they down right away. Seems more of a perception of what you are getting for your money than the actual results...

greg
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Gentlemen,
This link tells a different story about Energy Shots and their appeal to a younger crowd.

Furthermore, I have found several other stories that suggest that the Energy shot catgory is growing stronger and stronger due to the portability, convenience, and overall serving size being easier to get what you need from the product.

Today Show Video Player (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/31903293#31903293)

SumPoosieCat
07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Gentlemen,
This link tells a different story about Energy Shots and their appeal to a younger crowd.

Furthermore, I have found several other stories that suggest that the Energy shot catgory is growing stronger and stronger due to the portability, convenience, and overall serving size being easier to get what you need from the product.

Today Show Video Player (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/31903293#31903293)

Greg I don't find myself on the other side with you very often but your need to make this energy shot industry viable has now peaked my interest. We all know this segment has grown from nothing in 2004 to around 700 million in 2008. In 2009 it appears the bottom has dropped and the segments best days are behind it.

No matter how many times you suggest it is a growing market the facts on the ground simply do not support it. Nor do the huge price drops the shots have taken across the board.

I sell a hand sanitizer to a chain of stores with 164 outlets and they sell several energy shots at each location. The sales in the first 2 quarters of these drinks is down more then 50% from the sales in the first 2 quarters of 2008. A small sampling but I think it speaks volumes to what is happening across the country.

Mr Zabe
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Putting on my economics 101 hat on for a moment.
Energy drinks are still considered luxury goods. As the price remains
constant or increases consumers will buy less goods that are
considered luxury,price elastic. (Check out a good website for more info.)
The classic example of the opposite is
of inelastic goods like medication and the staples of life (food).

jetset
07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Putting on my economics 101 hat on for a moment.
Energy drinks are still considered luxury goods. As the price remains
constant or increases consumers will buy less goods that are
considered luxury,price elastic. (Check out a good website for more info.)
The classic example of the opposite is
of inelastic goods like medication and the staples of life (food).

I totally agree with you - it is far to early to tell if this decrease in sales is permanent or just a result of the recession. I am sure you can find much more data out there how many other items have taking a beating over the past few quarters. Let's allow the economy to turn around and then evaluate the data before you send out invitations to the Energy Shot Funeral.

greg
07-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Something I thought of about this conversation:
History has showed us that established brands such as Coke and Pepsi have not faired well in the ED category when they offer a new "branded" drink to the market. FT did well but after millions and millions of marketing dollars thrown at it.
RB, and Monster were predominanlty "independent" brands that the categories demos preferred due to the culture of such demos, thereby creating their success.
Now the "gotchas" thrown out there by some in this thread are relative to the "big boys" shot offerings.
Amp is dead, Rockstar is dying and it looks like Monster is dying.
The market leaders(top3) as shown by Neilsen ratings(52 weeks through4/18/09) have all been what is considered independents. 5hr/Living Essentials, Stacker 2, And REDLINE.
Rockstar is #4 followed by another independent Spike, Xtreme Energy, NOS,BDI Marketing, and at #9 Full Throttle.
Considering that RS, Monster, FT, Amp, et al have the Marketing Depratments and their Dollars behind them you would expect the top 3 to be very different.
So my point is that when it comes to "functional" drinks the consumer believes that independent, more focused, cutting edge companies do a better job at providig them with what they want and that is the reason the big boys should focus on what got them BIG. Consequently the consumer has also recognized that the big boys are now offering the "knock offs" as johnny come latelies and thereby sales are not as expected.

jetset
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Greg, I agree with your post to an extent but the data you reference is, like you said, based on the 52 previous weeks - most of which Monster & RB weren't yet on the market, with Monster Hitman being launched in Q4 '08 and RB shot being launched Q2 '09 - so let's see what this looks like next year at this time. Also, while the 3 big boys in the energy drink category have all the marketing dollars, you need to think about what was launched first and what the consumer things of when they see the Monster/Red Bull/RockStar ads/promos/sponsorships.....All there are typically marketing their brand as a whole, not just a single line (typically) - so people are going to connect any of their marketing to the products they first launched (ie, energy drinks). On the other hand aside from their Chaser product (a pill), Liviing Essentials only has 5hr Energy, so their isn't a tug-of-war between their marketing of their brand and a broad line of products.

greg
07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
QUOTE=jetset;369988]Greg, I agree with your post to an extent but the data you reference is, like you said, based on the 52 previous weeks - most of which Monster & RB weren't yet on the market, with Monster Hitman being launched in Q4 '08 and RB shot being launched Q2 '09 - so let's see what this looks like next year at this time. Also, while the 3 big boys in the energy drink category have all the marketing dollars, you need to think about what was launched first and what the consumer things of when they see the Monster/Red Bull/RockStar ads/promos/sponsorships.....All there are typically marketing their brand as a whole, not just a single line (typically) - so people are going to connect any of their marketing to the products they first launched (ie, energy drinks). On the other hand aside from their Chaser product (a pill), Liviing Essentials only has 5hr Energy, so their isn't a tug-of-war between their marketing of their brand and a broad line of products.[/QUOTE]

Very valid points you make about the RB and Monster timing in the market, However, considering Monsters name recognition, overall ED market share, Marketing dollars, and their distribution network they should have at least cracked the top 15 (in dollar sales), even if just for the 1st quarter sales. It shows the turns weren't there for the product. Anecdotally the sales being reported here and other places by people on the street of the RB shot along with the reports of Monster not doing well at all helps support my overall theory.

MobiusOne
07-17-2009, 01:35 AM
i'd like to think that people buy energy drinks repeatedly for taste. if a no-name makes a crap drink, nobody who tries it will buy it again, thereby reducing its word of mouth, so to speak. i've never seen a commercial for monster, but it sells well because it tastes good (to many) and they give away tons of the stuff at places where young people converge, like concerts and skate shops. people see their friends drinking it, and buy it themselves, continuing the circle.
personally, i don't give a crap whether a drink works or not, i go for taste. i collect these things, so the more companies that tank- the better.

jetset
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
i'd like to think that people buy energy drinks repeatedly for taste. if a no-name makes a crap drink, nobody who tries it will buy it again, thereby reducing its word of mouth, so to speak. i've never seen a commercial for monster, but it sells well because it tastes good (to many) and they give away tons of the stuff at places where young people converge, like concerts and skate shops. people see their friends drinking it, and buy it themselves, continuing the circle.
personally, i don't give a crap whether a drink works or not, i go for taste. i collect these things, so the more companies that tank- the better.

Taste is important to many, but take a look at 5hr, that stuff is horrible and sells like crazy. I recently read an article interviewing their CEO and he talked about how they now their product doesn't taste great but they aren't selling taste, they are selling function. I found it interesting hearing that they are aware of the taste and the reaction people have to it but aren't sacrificing their product. Sometimes when things taste 'too good' people don't believe it is good for you or is truly functional.

fusion
07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Right on, jetset. I was in a c-store a few months ago, and the guy in front of me asked the cashier for a 5 Hour Energy (they were behind the counter). He told her it didn't matter which one, they all tasted like crap.

SumPoosieCat
08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
One of the larger dollar store chains and the buyers are being OVERWHELMED with Energy Shots. The buyer I talked to said he gets around 25 calls weekly and the prices keep dropping. He told me he just bought a truckload of shots for just 10 cents a shot. He would not tell me the brand but I am sure I will find out soon enough.

These shots are just a very bad idea for Rock Star, Monster , and Red Bull. It does not create new users it eats current sales.

Red Bull for the 50th time if you want to sell more product or make more money do yourself a favor and just come out with a Red Bull Orange. Geez.

jetset
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
One of the larger dollar store chains and the buyers are being OVERWHELMED with Energy Shots. The buyer I talked to said he gets around 25 calls weekly and the prices keep dropping. He told me he just bought a truckload of shots for just 10 cents a shot. He would not tell me the brand but I am sure I will find out soon enough.

These shots are just a very bad idea for Rock Star, Monster , and Red Bull. It does not create new users it eats current sales.

Red Bull for the 50th time if you want to sell more product or make more money do yourself a favor and just come out with a Red Bull Orange. Geez.

To your last point - I am very surprised that RB hasn't branched out more with some flavor extension, they have Regular and Diet, OHHHH so exciting, then they wonder why they are losing market share. Sure they came out with their cola, but that only has their name on it and isn't a true cola energy.

scum1
08-07-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm guessing full throttle shots? I know they are at dollar tree and they had a bunch. As for Red Bull shots they are everywhere now and usually the boxes are half empty sitting next to full boxes of other brands. It's not that they are the best shot but I think you under estimate brand loyalty.

jetset
08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
The energy shot market is like anything else in business where some people have made a ton of money.....once people see that there is money being made in any segment of the beverage industry, you get a bunch of followers and me-toos that head into the category with anything hoping to make a quick buck. You saw this when Snapple & Arizona hit, again when Vitamin Water hit and more recently when Energy Drinks hit - everybody jumped in to make money off of the popularity but in the end only the strong survived. I have no doubt the energy shot category is here to stay but I there is only room for so many that the weak will move to the dollar store and the strong will still be around in 2010....

greg
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
To add to JETSETS comments about the strong survive.....The Real Estate available to Energy shots is the most valuable in in retail establishment. The placement of shots in coolers leads to shrinkage so the most common place is by the Check out which has very limited space and more importantly, allows the retailer to charge for placement. With that being said, the retailer will dump a brand that performs marginally for one that performs exceptionally because then the get the proverbial double whammy!

rackitup
11-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks Greg, good link