PDA

View Full Version : will Michael Jackson's death boost pepsi sales?

popologist
06-28-2009, 06:00 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if pepsi started running the old MJ ads (or some version of them) now that he's dead... unless, of course, they're contractually forbidden to do so.

on the other hand, as talented as he obviously was, he's also a very controversial figure (with the drug addiction and child abuse charges).

any thoughts?

CitrusCola
06-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I doubt if the folks at Pepsi would be willing to take that chance.

Mr Zabe
06-28-2009, 11:46 AM
I also doubt that Pepsi would do that.
IMO, it would be in bad taste.

popologist
06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
what about a "commemorative" can?

but, you could be right, it might be risky and in poor taste... on so many levels.

besides, i think he might've put his "jesus juice" into diet coke cans...

Mr Zabe
06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
what about a "commemorative" can?

but, you could be right, it might be risky and in poor taste... on so many levels.

besides, i think he might've put his "jesus juice" into diet coke cans...
Yeah, I agree with you.

Android
06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't know about how the agreements made back in the day pertain now, but I seem to remember that in Pespi president Roger Enrico's Book "The Other Guy Blinked" about the cola wars in the 80s, the MJ commercials were only to air during a certain period of time. Michael was worried about over-exposure.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
06-30-2009, 12:17 AM
what about a conmemorative can remembering when Michael Jackson's hair gets on fire during a Pepsi commercial filming? also it would look that the Pepsi globe is laughing at him... J/K :) ...

Now seriously, I've never been a fan of Jacko, my only favorite song is "Smooth Criminal" but performed by Alien Ant Farm, but the only collectible we had of him was a set of conmemorative Michael Jackson Dangerous Tour plastic cups that a Pepsi guy gave to my dad... those were great, but I don't know where are they now...

SamC
06-30-2009, 08:58 AM
... the MJ commercials were only to air during a certain period of time.

That is generally how this type of deal works, even for far lesser stars. Companies buy very detailed rights to particular images for a particular period of time. Often also in particular contries, media types, etc.

Its pretty certain Pepsi has no remaining rights to the endorcement.

If anything, look for PepsiCo to do some full page ad in a trade mag or something, in some kind of memorial.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Pepsi Thailand website is the only Pepsi site that made a memorial site for Jacko...

http://www.pepsithai.com/

BottleBoss
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Michael Jackson turned into such a weird-o in the years since Pepsi used him to advertise that they would probably not want to do it again. I mean would you want a guy who has become associated with child molestation (wether he was or wasn't is debateable) in the advertising for your products? Theres just too much wacko in the jacko. To be honest with you, I thought him and Janet Jackson were actually the same person for a few years. At least until they were in that video together. Then I thought they were twin sisters.

Tannerman
07-01-2009, 06:24 PM
A concept designer sent this can mockup (http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2009/06/king-of-pop.html) to the folks at The Dieline... but it's just a personal project, nothing official

the saint
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
A concept designer sent this can mockup (http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2009/06/king-of-pop.html) to the folks at The Dieline... but it's just a personal project, nothing official

If this was pepsis design, this close to his demise I would have to say it is in poor taste.
Not a horrible looking design but I do not see this happening until 10 or 20 years down the road. Pepsi did do some commemorative Elvis cans/bottles and some Ray Charles stuff (IIRC) back in the day, this is along the same lines.

popologist
07-02-2009, 08:47 AM
someone posted this comment on a message board:

You should all take a look at the back of the new Time Magazine commemorative edition about MJ. It's an ad by Pepsi and it says "You will always be the King of Pop" on a black background. It's written in an appropriate, 80's sci-fi-esque gradient with subtle sparkle effects. It also says "Thank you Michael" at the bottom with the pepsi logo and name below. I thought it was classy, humble toast to MJ while referencing to their past working relationship. I don't know about the can design, but THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Mr Zabe
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
someone posted this comment on a message board:

You should all take a look at the back of the new Time Magazine commemorative edition about MJ. It's an ad by Pepsi and it says "You will always be the King of Pop" on a black background. It's written in an appropriate, 80's sci-fi-esque gradient with subtle sparkle effects. It also says "Thank you Michael" at the bottom with the pepsi logo and name below. I thought it was classy, humble toast to MJ while referencing to their past working relationship. I don't know about the can design, but THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.
Thanks for the info. I agree. I'm guessing that next week many more add tributes will be
published in all sorts of media.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
This is the background pic on the Pepsi's twitter page...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_background_images/20564061/MJ_Icon2.jpg

BTW, the new Pepsi logo haven't arrived here and it won't until September 30th... lets see until october when the new promotion with Sabritas and Gamesa ends...