PDA

View Full Version : Route Drivers

pepsiguy383
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
This one is for all those commission based route merchandisers out there... I've been on a truck for some time now and I absolutely love it... But the pay is not what we deserve... 15 cents a case... Just wondering if its the same everywhere or if its just us getting the shaft... Also, does anyone get commission on picking up shells anymore?

fusion
07-15-2009, 03:08 AM
I'm not a driver, but our guys (CCE) lost shell "commission" almost two years ago. I'm a bulk merchandiser, and I used to have sideload guys stopping off at the back of my stores to pick up shells for a little extra cash, but obviously not anymore.

I honestly couldn't say what they are making now, but I did hear second hand that full service is on a full commision (no day rate/hourly rate) system. I don't know when that happened.

mofizz
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Shell commission is a dying practice. Drivers usually get paid on the front end to cover the entire process of delivery, merchandising, and credits (including shell pickup). Some bottlers pay a daily base in addition to the commission to help pad the salary.

If you are doing everything the right way everyday, maybe its time to ask for a bigger route. Make your saleman look good. Rotate, merchandise correctly, and make sure the little stuff gets done. The cases will follow.

pepsiguy383
07-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Mofizz, I can honestly say that I do all the things you specified... And I do have the highest paying route... I was just curious as to whether or not some other route guys feel like their getting hosed sometimes... We are the face of the company IMO and I just think we deserve some more respect than we get from the company... Like I said, maybe its just up here that its like that... I was just wondering if its like that in other areas

mofizz
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree pepsiguy. It's a hard job that isn't getting any easier. You are the front line face of the company and your brands. Drivers and merchandisers do not get the respect they deserve quite honestly.

I didn't mean to imply that you do not go above and beyond. I don't know you or your work ethic so who am I to pass judgement. I just hear alot of the same from guys I work with who do not execute the way you do.

pepsiguy383
07-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Mofizz,
I hope you didn't get the impression that i was upset because I wasn't at all... I guess you could say that i do go above and beyond, get alot of crap from it from the other drivers, but IMO some of them don't really care... just a paycheck to them... Also, it is kinda tough to have the biggest route in north dakota... make the most (which isn't much at all) but also put on almost 1000 miles a week... It just bugs me how when me or someone else out there can bust their butts from 7am to 5 or 6pm (my personal latest is 9:30), go home and just collapse on the couch and have absolutely no energy to do anything at all, go straight to bed, and then get up and do it all over again... and hope that the shelves are empty at all the accounts so you can fill them and put more money in your pocket... and not to mention fill 3-5 full service machines to boot... some weeks you're rolling out the cases, when the next week you're hardly hitting 1200 cases for the week, then you gotta merchandise walmart on a saturday just to get some extra hours... and we get nothing out of it, maybe a thank you sometimes but that's about it.... OK, I'm sorry but I'm done ranting for now:)... hope some other people out there feel the same.

the saint
07-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Mofizz,
I hope you didn't get the impression that i was upset because I wasn't at all... I guess you could say that i do go above and beyond, get alot of crap from it from the other drivers, but IMO some of them don't really care... just a paycheck to them... Also, it is kinda tough to have the biggest route in north dakota... make the most (which isn't much at all) but also put on almost 1000 miles a week... It just bugs me how when me or someone else out there can bust their butts from 7am to 5 or 6pm (my personal latest is 9:30), go home and just collapse on the couch and have absolutely no energy to do anything at all, go straight to bed, and then get up and do it all over again... and hope that the shelves are empty at all the accounts so you can fill them and put more money in your pocket... and not to mention fill 3-5 full service machines to boot... some weeks you're rolling out the cases, when the next week you're hardly hitting 1200 cases for the week, then you gotta merchandise walmart on a saturday just to get some extra hours... and we get nothing out of it, maybe a thank you sometimes but that's about it.... OK, I'm sorry but I'm done ranting for now:)... hope some other people out there feel the same.

HEE HEE you said butt. :D
Welcome to my world...won't you come on in.. don't remember the rest of the lyrics to that song. Look on the bright side you get to start at 7 am. I start between 4 and 430 and work til sometimes 6-7 at night with 4-430 average. Lunch consists of whatever drivethru isn't busy right at 11 (since they do not serve lunch here till 11) or a candy bar on the run, IF I even have time to stand in line to buy the candy bar. I really like the nights where there is something on tv that I actually want to watch and I get all settled on the couch and bam. The next thing I hear is my wife yelling for me to come and get in bed 3-4 hours later with the remote still in my hand. And to think the drivers think the sales reps have a cushy job.

Earlier in the thread you said you get 15 cents a case, the drivers here get a base of between 350 and 450 I don't remember exactly and 10 cents a case on hard cases and I want to say 8 a gallon on bib gallons. Shell commission is long gone everywhere except for DPSU here, they pay a bounty of 2-3 cents each BUT they still do not get picked up.

pepsiguy383
07-20-2009, 11:06 PM
yeah it's 15 cents a case on 24 counts, and 9 cents on 12 counts, for full service its 50 cents on 24 counts (prorated if the whole case isn't used... roughly 2 cents per bottle) and 25 cents on 12 counts (same goes there)... we do get about 360 a week to pad it, but for being the middle of July, I'm doing as many cases per week as I was in dead cold Febraury times (we're talkin frickin -40).... idk, I just wish that something could be done about this...

pepsiguy383
08-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Here's another question... are any of the Pepsi locations out there using GPS in their route trucks??? I think I heard that transport trucks are using them now??