PDA

View Full Version : why doesn't Coca-Cola keep Coke Zero stocked?!?

popologist
07-22-2009, 09:14 AM
maybe this is just a problem in NYC, where shelf space is scarce, but... you'd think that since Coke Zero has 24% growth in a market that's been shrinking for years, that Coca-Cola would make it a point to keep it stocked.

I'm not saying that it's hard to find (like in the early days), but it's not rare for a store to be sold out of Coke Zero either. I mean, why not just stock a few extra? When's the last time a store was sold out of Coca-Cola or Diet Coke? There are always plenty. But Coke Zero is often picked over and sometimes sold out.

Get your act together Coca-Cola! ;)

the saint
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
My guess is that it is like Pepsi one, people will come down the aisle looking for Pepsi one if it isn't there they go about their business and will get some next time. Next time they come down the aisle and there is Pepsi one on the shelf remembering the last time they buy all or all that they can afford to buy, hence an empty shelf for the next person. In alot of stores if you order extra on items "just in case" when you order the "normal stock" for the next day, the back room people will either 1) cut the product 2) accept the delivery and chew the salespersons ass out for ordering stuff already in the backroom, or 3) refuse the entire order. From a salespersons perspective it is alot easier to explain to your boss why you ran out of something that it is to explain cases or entire orders being cut. Nobody likes getting chewed on by the backroom person either, they tend to not let things go and will remind you about the "case" extra you ordered for at least 2-3 weeks in some effort to show their authority over a "lowly" vendor.

fusion
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Even with the growth, it may be hard for some salespeople to accept that Coke Zero is now a "core brand" and needs to be ordered as such. They'll order plenty of Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke.. but not enough Zero. One of my stores sells a ton of CZ, but the salesperson never seems to order enough to get us through a sale, so I have to cut back on facings on the display, front the shelf, etc.

drpep
07-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Even if the store had some in the back room store employees won't fill it, they'll leave it for the vendor to fill.

fusion
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Even if the store had some in the back room store employees won't fill it, they'll leave it for the vendor to fill.

In most cases, yes. The store employees will usually just tell the person to get a raincheck (if the item is on sale). But a family owned chain in the area I work in would routinely fill vendor items (not sure if they do it anymore now that they are Shop-Rites), and a few Sundays ago we had a hot 2L ad in one chain, and I didn't make it back there for a second hit fast enough, and the manager had an employee filling the shelf.

popologist
07-23-2009, 07:50 AM
thanks for the inside scoop, but...

i still think they could remove a few facings of Coke or Diet Coke (which never run out) and add a few more Coke Zero. I mean, it's not like this only happens once in awhile. It can happen a couple times a week!

The most commons shortage is that they'll have it in, say, 2-Liter, but not in 12-pack... or vice versa.

My "conspiracy theory" is that the execs at Coke don't want Zero eating too heavily into Diet Coke's market share because Diet Coke is so close to overtaking Pepsi as the #2 soda in the US. It's likely to happen this year or next. Last year they were only separated by 0.3 market share.

joshal1980
07-24-2009, 12:31 AM
As an employee of CCE, Any place we have Coca-Cola Classic, we must have Coke Zero. Thats at least what they want in our territory. That is for any package of Coke Zero.

XLS_04
07-24-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah the product has been pushed for 4 years now. It has ALWAYS been more widely avaliable than Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke and Coca-Cola with Lime in stores. From the first day in was released Coke zero has been pushed more than all the other new brands in recent years. It is funny how people seem to forget that though.

the saint
07-24-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks for the inside scoop, but...

i still think they could remove a few facings of Coke or Diet Coke (which never run out) and add a few more Coke Zero. I mean, it's not like this only happens once in awhile. It can happen a couple times a week!

The most commons shortage is that they'll have it in, say, 2-Liter, but not in 12-pack... or vice versa.

My "conspiracy theory" is that the execs at Coke don't want Zero eating too heavily into Diet Coke's market share because Diet Coke is so close to overtaking Pepsi as the #2 soda in the US. It's likely to happen this year or next. Last year they were only separated by 0.3 market share.

They could remove a few facings of coke and/or diet coke the same as Pepsi could remove a few facings of Pepsi and /or diet Pepsi, unfortunately that is NOT likely to happen. You would have more luck getting one of the people who are in charge of the shelf planograms to pull out their teeth and give them to you.

popologist
07-24-2009, 07:29 PM
well, if i had a product that was growing about 25%, while my other products were losing market share, i'd make sure it's always available... and in as many places as possible (i.e. fast food restaurants, restaurants, bars, etc).

MATHA531
07-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Well in my area, there usually is no difficulty finding coke zero in 2l bottles....however, there are many stores, and I'll never understand this, who don't carry coke zero cherry and those stores that do carry it, it always seems to sell out almost as soon as they put the bottles out. Coke zero cherry is one of the best products they have....yet in many of these stores we say sugar laced coke cherry bottles all the time and little coke zero cherry....and let's not even mention coke zero vanilla where I haven't seen a 2 liter bottle in more than 2 years in the NYC area...don't know what's doing with it.....and since I believe in the New York City area cce controls Dr Pepper, have never seen a 2 liter bottle of Dr Pepper diet cherry (or the previous diet cherry vanilla).....twelve packs are available sporadically but they are far less economical (especially since I have to pay a 5 deposit on each can and am too lazy to bring the cans back...just put them out in the recycling bags.

popologist
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
that's exactly how it was at c-town today. the cherry coke zero was almost gone and then i bought about 1/3 of the coke zero 2L's... but there was plenty of cherry coke... and everything else for that matter.

i don't know why, but it just seems that coke is holding coke zero back for some reason.

Well in my area, there usually is no difficulty finding coke zero in 2l bottles....however, there are many stores, and I'll never understand this, who don't carry coke zero cherry and those stores that do carry it, it always seems to sell out almost as soon as they put the bottles out. Coke zero cherry is one of the best products they have....yet in many of these stores we say sugar laced coke cherry bottles all the time and little coke zero cherry....and let's not even mention coke zero vanilla where I haven't seen a 2 liter bottle in more than 2 years in the NYC area...don't know what's doing with it.....and since I believe in the New York City area cce controls Dr Pepper, have never seen a 2 liter bottle of Dr Pepper diet cherry (or the previous diet cherry vanilla).....twelve packs are available sporadically but they are far less economical (especially since I have to pay a 5 deposit on each can and am too lazy to bring the cans back...just put them out in the recycling bags.

wsanders
08-01-2009, 03:01 AM
It's those Coke brand managers from the commercials; they finally succeeded in suing Coke Zero.

popologist
08-01-2009, 09:35 AM
It's those Coke brand managers from the commercials; they finally succeeded in suing Coke Zero.
coke zero should sue coca-cola for anti-trust violations! lol

fusion
08-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I've also noticed that the Coke bottlers in this area that have Dr Pepper don't have Cherry in 2L. Just 20oz and fridge. Maybe it's because they converted to contour 2L, or they just chose not to run it in 2L.

Pepsi has plenty of it in Maryland, though. Reg and Diet.