PDA

View Full Version : Those beat up faded 12 packs outside gas stations

drpep
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Almost every town has a c-store with a stack of Coke or Pepsi 12 packs stacked up outside the front door. Many 12 packs are faded and beat up from exposure to rain and sun. They stay there for weeks. Why are the beat up packages allowed to stay in the display? Who is repsonsible for maintaining the display, vendor or retailer? I'm not going to pick up the loose cans that fall out of the damaged box I moved to get to a good 12 pack.

greg
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Almost every town has a c-store with a stack of Coke or Pepsi 12 packs stacked up outside the front door. Many 12 packs are faded and beat up from exposure to rain and sun. They stay there for weeks. Why are the beat up packages allowed to stay in the display? Who is repsonsible for maintaining the display, vendor or retailer? I'm not going to pick up the loose cans that fall out of the damaged box I moved to get to a good 12 pack.

Vendor is responsible every time!!!!
It is in the best interest of the vendor to maintain all displays, most importantly for marketing reasons, secondary, to insure the best possible product be sold to the consumer. The display should be rotated not only for quality but to insure the fading doesnt get too bad and that old packging/artwork doesnt get picked through when new packaging shows up.
Those are 2 of the reasons.

fusion
08-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Not every time, greg.

Some small store owners are known to hit the chain stores during a cheap sale, and stock up on 12 packs and 2Ls. A keen route driver/salesperson will see this, and will know not to credit out, pick up, swap out, whatever, that product.

It's pretty obvious when here in Delaware, Coke has contour 2L, and we still have regular 2L in Maryland, and one of our salespeople finds contour Coke 2L in a store on his route.

Or you see angle bottle 20oz Dr Pepper in an area where Pepsi has Dr Pepper rights and they have it in the swirl bottle.

greg
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I stand by my statement. Regardless if the retailer bought it from you or not the Branded company has a stake in the freshest product available to their end users/consumers. This is the unfortunate part of the business. If you are a pepsi Route driver and your retailer is buying 20oz, Sobe, Muscle Milk, etc from you and they buy their 24pk from Costco then I bet you $20 to a donut your TSM or whatever you want to call him will make you rotate that product. If he doesnt and his boss sees it it is his A$$ on the line!

I said nothing of the driver giving credit/swap/pick up. I was addressing the question of who is responsible for the maintenance/rotation of the display

Pepsi doesnt care who he bought that product from...the fact is he bought Pepsi and generated Sales Volume and Dollars regardless.

the saint
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Both of you are absolutely 100% correct. While at Pepsi we are told "do not pick up the product" from wholesalers/other retailers etc. when it comes down to the nut cut we have to go against what the bosses tell us originally to answering why on earth " there is out of date product sitting at XXXXX account" Bad thing is that the very next day they go back to "do not under any circumstance pick up product from xxxxx account"

I will keep an eye on dates and rotate them around to where the oldest stuff is the first available, I have even swapped stuff out with higher volume stores to get rid of close date stuff. It isn't fun to do and it goes against my beliefs that if it didn't come from me it isn't my responsibility, but in the end paying for my house and vehicles is my responsibility and the few cases here and there going home as OOD isn't worth losing my employment. I have rotated stuff to where the oldest OOD stuff is on top and left it a bit longer than what I should be saying but it makes the retailer see that while I am not the sharpest tool in the shed I am smart enough to know that when I told him that he wouldn't sell 200 cases of 12 packs at 4.99 before they went OOD and i knew what I was talking about. Usually the next time they go to joes wholesale they will only buy 10 cases of 3-4 items rather than 50 each of 3-4 items.