PDA

View Full Version : Sodas that make me stay home.

atrac
08-10-2009, 07:25 AM
OK, I'll try to be as vague as possible -- but enough that you get the idea. ;)

I have noticed that there are certain sodas that require me to stay near a bathroom for several hours after ingesting them.

Here's the list:

1) Dr. Pepper
2) Cherry Dr. Pepper
3) Dr. Thunder (Wal-Mart Private Label)
4) Mountain Dew Game Fuel (the blue one, not red)
5) Mountain Dew Revolution/Supernova (but not Voltage)
6) Tropicana Twister Orange Soda

A couple of notes. First, Tropicana Twister Orange Soda was the first one that I ever noticed having this effect on me. This was about 3 years ago. Orange Slice (RIP) never did it to me.

The Dr. Peppers only started doing it recently -- right around when Cherry Dr. Pepper (not diet -- I don't drink diet!) was introduced. And, oddly enough, Dr. Thunder only started doing it to me recently as well.

And with the new Game Fuels that came out, only the blue one does it. The Red one has no effect.

MD Revolution did it a lot; Supernova was more mild. Voltage has no effect.

What the heck do you think is going on? Am I the only one? I know that I have a problem with egg yolk ...is there egg yolk in these drinks now?

The only other guess I have is it has something to do with the dye they use. Did Dr. Pepper change their dye recently?

At any rate, SORRY to post this...but I thought if anyone out there knew about this, they'd be here in these forums.

Thanks! :o

Mr Zabe
08-10-2009, 07:41 AM
It's most likely that caffeine is causing this problem.

atrac
08-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the response! I considered caffeine as the culprit, but realized that drinks like Coke and regular Mountain Dew don't cause this for me. More importantly, energy drinks such as Red Bull have no effect.

mjb1124
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Could be the acidity of these sodas. Or the carbonation level. I know Dr Pepper makes me burp like no other soda does.

bwood03
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't know about the "Peppers" but the others contain the mystery that is "Brominated Vegetable Oil". That always made me "stay home" lol, especially in the orange sodas.

atrac
08-17-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't know about the "Peppers" but the others contain the mystery that is "Brominated Vegetable Oil". That always made me "stay home" lol, especially in the orange sodas.

I think you are on to something! I checked and sure enough, it appears to be an ingredient in the offenders. Thanks for that!

jetset
08-19-2009, 05:09 PM
good ol' BVO!!!