PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Soda Store

55ford
08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Greetings-

I've been reading through the posts on this board, and there appears to be a great deal of knowledge of this industry from soda fans and industry employees alike. I'm currently toying with the idea of opening a store whose primary business will be the sales and merchandising of specialty sodas. I know there are a couple of other similar business in the U.S., but I'm curious about the opinion of readers of this forum on the idea. Am I crazy? Is it a waste of time? Will it be nearly impossible to source products?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

RootJack
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Since no one has popped in so far, I figured I'd chime in.

Are you planing on just being a retail outlet or do online sales as well?

I had stumbled upon a place that did have a ton of sodas, but they were also a restaurant. I could see that working. It would be kind of like going to a bar that has a ton of different beers. It would be kind of fun to try a new soda each time.

I would also imagine the the population density would be an important thing to look at. Is there a particular area you are looking at?

55ford
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi RootJack-

Thanks for your input. You are spot-on with my concept. Selling soda is the #1 goal, but possibilities for food, even an old-fashioned ice cream parlor/soda fountain are in the mix too. There are so many great brands out there, and I think it'd be great to pull them all together in one cool store/restaurant.

Your comment about it being similar to a bar with a great beer selection is what I had in mind. Much like the boom in the craft beer industry, I think there's room for growth in the craft soda business.

Online is a tough one. My background actually is in online merchandising, but with shipping costs so high, and other online retailers doing it now, I don't think I'd focus in online sales to begin. But that's part of the reason I think a retail store would work well. Bring all the variety to consumers and it's a pretty low-cost investment to try a different brand/flavor.

Thanks for your input, and any other advice would be appreciated.