PDA

View Full Version : Excel Trip

jimsmith117
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I recently traveled to the Excel Bottling plant in Breese, IL. I came back with several cases of Ski and Double Cola.The Ski more than meet expectations, as everyone that tried it loved it. On the other hand, the Double Cola wasn't drinkable.The first thing that came to mind was that they made a bad batch on that day. Is this a reasonable assumption? Also, I sent an e-mail along with the numbers on the date stamp to the company.I have Double Cola here at home in cans and it is one of my favorites, but the bottles in no way resembles the cans taste.
Has any of you out there had or know of a similar experience? I don't regret my trip at all, and will probably go back in the future, but was disappointed and curious by the Double Cola.

Dumas Walker
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Was it in glass bottles or plastic?

jimsmith117
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
12oz glass non-returnables.

Man From Ohio
09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Having had Double Cola from many locations over many years, I'm sure this this was an isolated bad batch. The only time I ever had a substandard DC was in the mid-90s from a C store in suburban Cincinnati. It was a glass nonreturnable that had obvioiusly been in the cooler a very long time. At the time, I hadn't had a DC in quite some time, I bought it knowing I was taking a chance. Even then, it was drinkable. I later learned that particular C store had numerous problems keeping their stock current, which just might be the reason it's now closed.

You did the right thing by alerting the company. Hopefully the problem will be resolved.

jimsmith117
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Having had Double Cola from many locations over many years, I'm sure this this was an isolated bad batch. The only time I ever had a substandard DC was in the mid-90s from a C store in suburban Cincinnati. It was a glass nonreturnable that had obvioiusly been in the cooler a very long time. At the time, I hadn't had a DC in quite some time, I bought it knowing I was taking a chance. Even then, it was drinkable. I later learned that particular C store had numerous problems keeping their stock current, which just might be the reason it's now closed.

You did the right thing by alerting the company. Hopefully the problem will be resolved.
Their Ski is wonderful. I hope that it doesn't sound like i am putting down Excel Bottling.Not trying to do that at all.Having lived my entire life in a county that is next to where the former DC plant was in Greensburg, i have drank many DC's through the yrs, but this product was much different.The date on the boxes that i bought would make them only a few weeks old so i know it wasn't old stock.Just wondering if it was a bad batch or if theirs always taste like that. I am hoping the company will respond to my e-mail.

CitrusCola
09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Sometimes there are bad batches. I bought a case of glass-bottled 7-Up in West Jefferson last year, and my daughter informed me that it didn't taste right. I checked it, and sure enough, it was awful. I contacted the bottler, and they were already aware of the issue. It seems that all of the 7-Up bottled one day was messed up, and we'd gotten a case that was supposed to have been removed from the warehouse.

Dumas Walker
09-16-2009, 07:46 PM
It could also possibly be that the Excel DC is sweetened with sugar. I think the Greensburg DC was, too, back in the day. Having had the canned, corn-sweetened product from Evansville for a while, I do know that the glass-bottled, sugar-sweetened DC from Orca does taste different.

I would not say it tastes bad, though (just different), so maybe it is just a bad batch!

jimsmith117
09-16-2009, 08:51 PM
It could also possibly be that the Excel DC is sweetened with sugar. I think the Greensburg DC was, too, back in the day. Having had the canned, corn-sweetened product from Evansville for a while, I do know that the glass-bottled, sugar-sweetened DC from Orca does taste different.

I would not say it tastes bad, though (just different), so maybe it is just a bad batch!
After getting back home with the drink my family wanted to try it too.I must admit I was a little embarrassed about giving them a sample.They like myself, have drank and loved DC in all itís different packaging whether it be glass,plastic,cans, or sweetened with sugar or corn syrup.I gave it without telling them much about my own questions about the product.Their reaction was like mine,it wasnít like the glass DC from yrs ago or current DC in cans.

I did get a response from Excel.They apparently checked some of the same lot but couldnít find any major problems with it that would account for our experience..When I go back for Ski, I may try another one just for comparison purposes.Excel was very nice about the whole thing, but still questions remain. Iíd now like to try Orcaís version to see what it is like.Where can I get one that Orca makes? It is currently unavailable on Amazon.Could heat have dramatically changed the taste? It was a fairly hot day, a very long trip and on the back of my truck.What do you all think?

Dumas Walker
09-17-2009, 05:15 PM
The heat could have affected it, although I think it is more an enemy of diet drinks. After a trip to Ohio in early July, I wondered if the heat didn't affect some of what I brought home. The Red Rock products, in particular, that I found in Ohio spent more time in the car & were not near as good as the ones I found in Millersburg or Maysville, KY.

I found the Orca version at Cost Plus World Market, in the 12-bottle "Nostalgia" variety pack. There are three bottles of DC in it. The closest one to me is in St. Matthews (Louisville). I am not sure if there is one in Nashville or not.

Man From Ohio
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I found the Orca version at Cost Plus World Market, in the 12-bottle "Nostalgia" variety pack. There are three bottles of DC in it. The closest one to me is in St. Matthews (Louisville).

When did you buy the nostalgia pack? I remember looking at the Cost Plus World Market near me in Cincinnati in June and not finding it. That particular location is now out of business. I'm just wondering if the nostalgia pack continues to ba available at other Cost Plus locations--I'd like to get one the next time I'm near another one of their locations.

jimsmith117
09-18-2009, 04:10 AM
I called the store and they didn't have it in stock right now.I may try again some other time.

Chad.
09-18-2009, 01:27 PM
i believe that double cola is something relatively new i live about 30 minutes away from excel and dont recall them ever having double cola til recently still havent tried because i enjoy the ski and forstie rootberr so much

jimsmith117
09-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Double Cola predates Ski,but at Excel it is relatively new in non-returnable bottles.One bit of good news to share,they said they were considering putting their own line of sodas they make in non-returnables as well. Guess we will have to wait and see if that comes to pass.

Dumas Walker
09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Man from Ohio,
I was there in late May. They were running a sale on it then. It may have been a Memorial Day seasonal deal, and maybe they don't carry it through the year?

jimsmith117
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I have an update to this old thread from last year.Excel now has Ski, Frostie Root Beer, Black Cherry and Red Cream in non-returnables bottles.Absent from this list is Double-Cola,I guess they quit putting it in non-returnables as they said they were considering doing when I talked to them last summer about the odd taste.I never could find any Orca Double -Cola for comparison purposes.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-21-2010, 12:15 AM
i still have my excel bottling half-liter crate i picked up from a meijer in lansing, mi. suppose they want it back?

jimsmith117
04-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Luckily I didn't buy very much of their Double-Cola,I'll just stick with the cans of it purchased locally..I will probably be going back soon for more great Ski and try some of the other flavors they now have.