PDA

View Full Version : Rural route guys/merchs?

fusion
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Found out a few weeks ago that the sales center I work out of in eastern Maryland is closing, and the work will be shifted to the Hanover MD (Baltimore metro) sales center. Today they informed us that all merchandising, account manager, warehouse, and driver positions will be maintained, along with our two district managers and our route process administrator (cashier).

CCE policy is that if you are offered a comparable position at a facility within 50 miles of your current facility, you are not eligible for severance. And guess what? It's 48 miles between the two sales centers. So we either accept the new jobs, or leave and get nothing.

I have one of the furthest out bulk stops on my route, 60 miles/75 minutes from Baltimore. It will probably take trucks longer than that, because they have to get off the highway and travel 2-lane state highways to a fairly rural area. The other bulk stops that are further are along US 40, the furthest being 66 miles, but only a few minutes more traveling time than my stop.

Anyway - my question. Hopefully someone can chime in here. If you work that far away, are you generally expected to regularly go to the sales center? Currently Hanover services Hanover PA, which is well over 2 hours. I can't see them making those guys drive down for meetings, especially 20 minute safety meetings, and then paying them to drive back up (hours + mileage).

With the poor job market and generally low wages in other jobs, I can't afford to just up and leave. I would consider working for Canada Dry (their warehouse is 10 minutes max from my house), but they pay day rate, and it works out to be not much more than $8 an hour or so if you work an 8 hour day. Consequently, their turnover is ridiculous, and stores are hardly ever packed out properly. So their salespeople end up having to do the work in addition to try and sell their routes, which are hybrid (large and small store) routes.

pepsiguy383
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Fusion,
The facility I work out of also has a sister branch about 90 miles away. They have no inventory... the pallets are built in a different warehouse and transported there daily... As far as the meetings go, we have one meeting per year that everyone has to attend, including the guys from the sister branch... other than that, it's training dvd's or computer stuff we have to go over... our facility has a plant manager, sales supervisor, etc.. but the branch only has a sales supervisor and he conducts meetings if he pleases from what I understand...

the saint
10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
well at the facility that I work out of you are expected to make each and every weekly meeting. there are some guys that drive 85-90 miles some that drive 50-60 with most within 25. They pay us for one way on mileage, they do not pay back out to where you started from. we do not get an hourly rate on the side of the business that i work on but when I was in bulk they expected us to drive there on our own time and "clock back in" so to speak when we got to the office, example start at 4am work till 2pm clock out and drive to office clock "back in at 3pm for meeting then clock back out at 430pm drive back to your largest store clock back in 530pm fill store and then clock out at 630p for the night. After everyone went to HR about the mileage only getting paid to the office and being expected to go back out to work when we left meeting they decided that they would either pay mileage both ways with us clocking in and out or just pay us straight thru. It was kind of nice until they went to a (pardon any offense to anyone none is intended) chinese overtime then we only ended up getting about 14 cents for the 4 1/2 hours extra, of course we couldn't go back and want the mileage then....go figure corporate america.

pepsiguy383
10-10-2009, 07:26 PM
well at the facility that I work out of you are expected to make each and every weekly meeting. there are some guys that drive 85-90 miles some that drive 50-60 with most within 25. They pay us for one way on mileage, they do not pay back out to where you started from. we do not get an hourly rate on the side of the business that i work on but when I was in bulk they expected us to drive there on our own time and "clock back in" so to speak when we got to the office, example start at 4am work till 2pm clock out and drive to office clock "back in at 3pm for meeting then clock back out at 430pm drive back to your largest store clock back in 530pm fill store and then clock out at 630p for the night. After everyone went to HR about the mileage only getting paid to the office and being expected to go back out to work when we left meeting they decided that they would either pay mileage both ways with us clocking in and out or just pay us straight thru. It was kind of nice until they went to a (pardon any offense to anyone none is intended) chinese overtime then we only ended up getting about 14 cents for the 4 1/2 hours extra, of course we couldn't go back and want the mileage then....go figure corporate america.

Ahhhh.... yes the wonderful use of chinese (or fluctuating) overtime. Probably the biggest reason alot of commissioned employess quit their job around here. Get your base pay, then work 12 hours of OT and get paid less than what you were making with the already small hourly base. As you said Saint, gotta love corporate America

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
fusion - my current boss worked for cce in michigan. his route ran out of a shuttle site territory. he did not have to go back to the office daily. he had to attend once weekly meetings. he did have a company van though. i'm confused, are you just a merch or a bulk sales rep

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-19-2009, 07:15 AM
what are you going to do fusion?

fusion
10-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Going to stay. We have another meeting with HR tomorrow, I guess we'll do paperwork then.

Two other sales centers are closing about the same time, Sunbury PA and Williamsport PA. The work will all shift to Harrisburg sales/distribution. The trip just from Harrisburg to Williamsport is 2 hours.

drpep
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Actually the trip between Harrisburg and Williamsport is under 2 hours in GOOD traffic and weather especially if I-180 is used.. I don't know the route but I imagine Rt 11/15 between Selinsgrove and Shamokin Dam is part of it. That is a traffic nightmare. If they go through Lewisburg that is another mile or so of traffic lights, but not as bad as Shamokin Dam. Most of 11/15 is 45-55 mph.