PDA

View Full Version : Diet Grape Soda

CitrusCola
11-11-2009, 07:17 AM
A friend of mine has complained to me several times of how there are no "real" diet grape sodas sold in the NC Piedmont area. The only diet grape soda sold around here is Diet Rite White Grape, and it does not taste like the traditional grape sodas.

I bought some Faygo Diet Grape Soda in eastern TN earlier this year, and it was quite good, but I was told by the folks at Faygo that it's not sold in NC because our state gets their Faygo from production facilities in FL. The FL plant only produces one diet flavor -- cola.

A check online shows that some diet grape sodas are being made (Polar Diet Grape, Buffalo Rock's Diet Grapico, and Shasta Diet Grape), but none of these are sold in the Piedmont. At one time, there was a diet version of Nugrape, but Big Red seems to have discontinued Nugrape altogether. I've not been able to find any store brand diet grape sodas, either (I would think that Walmart would want to produce a diet version of Grapette, but they don't).

Has anyone out there tried any of these diet grape sodas? If so, which ones are the best?

fusion
11-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I haven't tried any of them, so I can't add my opinion on their taste. But there is at least one more diet grape out there - Sunpop diet grape. Ahold sells it across all their retail stores, but as that territory has shrunk due to divestitures, the soda has been getting harder to find out of the mid-atlantic/northeast region.

Previously, Sunpop sodas were sold in Southern Family stores in the south under the Southern Home name, but since C&S Grocery took them over, they switched to Best Yet.

However, Bi-Lo stores still sell Southern Home, so you should be able to find diet grape Sunpop there.

wonkapete
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Yep, Diet Grapico rocks. Shoot me your addess and I'll send ya a bottle, can, fridgepack, 2 liter - whatever ya want. wonkapete@aol.com