PDA

View Full Version : Cheerwine comes to Maryland, Delaware

fusion
11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
BevNET.com: Cheerwine Partners with Pepsi Bottling Ventures LLC and Expands into Delmarva (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2009/11-12-2009-cheerwine_maryland_pepsi_bottling_ventures)

I was just about to post about this, but BevNet beat me to the punch. I was in Dover, Delaware today, and found Cheerwine 20oz that was produced in PBV's Salisbury MD plant. Hopefully we will see other packaging soon.

PBV acquired Pepsi Delmarva, Salisbury MD in 2004. Previously it was a privately owned family bottler. They have two facilities in Salisbury, one is production and the other is sales/distribution. They also have a satellite warehouses in Harrington, Delaware. Previously they had a fourth location in Nelsonia VA on the Eastern Shore of VA (the two counties in Virginia that are separated from the rest of the state), but it's apparently closed now.

In Maryland, they service the eight counties on the eastern shore. The Virginia territory would be Accomack and Northampton counties. In Delaware, their territory is Sussex and Kent counties.

When they were independent, they were a big DPSU bottler - they had 7Up, Country Time, Yoo-hoo, Hawaiian Punch, Schweppes and Dr Pepper. They dropped 7Up around the time that PBG and PAS did, and everything else after the PBV buyout except Dr Pepper and Schweppes. They also distributed Fuze and Sunny Delight at one point in time, as well as Wise potato chips. Another brand they still carry that is usually carried by the DPS bottlers in this area is Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. They also had a few oddball bottled water brands, but I think they're gone as well.

One interesting thing I remember about trips to their area is that they produced Pepsi Blue and Country Time Lemonade cubes when they had those two flavors.

One question though - I thought Dr Pepper and Cheerwine were competing brands? I wonder why DPS would allow them to carry Dr Pepper and Cheerwine at the same time.

Another interesting thing about this area is that the three towns above their Delaware territory (Middletown, Odessa, and Townsend) were a no-man's land for Dr Pepper - nobody had the rights to it. I think at one time Pepsi Delmarva would run a truck up to that area to just drop off Dr Pepper, but then they stopped. Those towns are serviced by PBG in Wilmington DE, but they don't carry Dr Pepper, Philadelphia Coke does. But Philadelphia Coke's territory ends above those three towns. So, finally, CCE in Easton MD, who services those three towns, picked up that Dr Pepper territory, but everything is brought down from NY, since that's the closest place that CCE has Dr Pepper.

PBV also announced last month they are acquiring the indie Pepsi bottler in Conway-Myrtle Beach SC. I believe that territory runs contiguous with their NC territory out of Wilmington.

PBV also brought Squirt to Delmarva territory, it had been previously unavailable.

fusion
12-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Cheerwine is apparently expanding availability again. They list Vecenie Distributing of Pittsburgh PA as a distributor. Mainly a beer distributor, they also carry Bawls, Boylan's, Natrona sodas, and 1919 Draft Root Beer (in kegs).

The distributor list also mentions a distributor in North Brunswick NJ, but the phone number is actually a car dealership. My hunch is that the distributor is actually High Grade Beverage, who owns Briar's USA (Briar's sodas), and two distribution warehouses in northern NJ. They distribute various beers, wines, and spirits, along with sodas and drinks, including Volt, Adina, Jones, Everfresh, Redline, Cintron, Sweet Leaf, Xyience, Function, Nesquik and Monster.

Can anyone confirm that Cheerwine is being sold in either of those areas?

mjb1124
12-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I've yet to see Cheerwine anywhere in central NJ. I'll be on the lookout for it though. A lot of the 7-Eleven's around here carry Volt so that'll be a good place to look.

skylark68
01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I just wish they would actually try to push into Texas again. I noticed a half hearted attempt back in the mid '00s in some rural areas of SE Texas, but it disappeared quickly.

jerr2429
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
bought cheerwine today ot the cloesville deli in wantage township, sussex county nj. glass bottles. My friend works for high grade beverage in randolph and he said they have just the glass regular and diet for now. its so cool having it hear.

fusion
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
So my hunch was right, that it was High Grade.

The glass bottle stuff is the best, anyway.