PDA

View Full Version : mello yello found in pa

jerr2429
11-20-2009, 08:59 AM
found it in dubois and kylertown pa in 12 pack and 20oz and in state college pa in 20oz and 2 liter. also harrisburg, lancaster and reading pa are all picking it up. the sales rep said it was all the facilities decisions to pick it up because vault is not selling. he said no matter what this time they are keeping it. The only issue it athorization at store level. Only walmart and weis are available to get it. They said they called giant, redners and wegmans to get in it. also barqs red creme is back in pa out of dubois.

CitrusCola
11-23-2009, 07:40 AM
I've heard from several places that Mello Yello was outselling Vault here in the NC Piedmont Triad area.

I wish they would start making a Yello Yello Zero. Diet Mello Yello vanished years ago, and Vault Zero was only around for about a year before it disappeared from the store shelves.

jerr2429
11-23-2009, 01:03 PM
i only see vault zero in 20oz very few places though. i heard they have diet mello yello in very upstate ny in 2 liter.

fusion
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Beverage Digest announced that Coke is planning to relaunch Mello Yello in 2010, with a new ad campaign. Wonder what this bodes for Vault.

CitrusCola
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
You're right!

Coke Taps Ad Agency for Mello Yello (http://www.brandweek.com/bw/content_display/news-and-features/direct/e3i8a9b19a7752dca15d8802d524c564414)

Very interesting. Vault may end up going the way of Surge.

jerr2429
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM
do you think this means coke does a relaunch nationwide of mello yello and makes everyone carry it. if so this is great, i live in pa and its hard to find.

mofizz
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I think this is the begining of the end for Vault. At least mello yello has a little bit of brand recognition. It will still never take a bite out of Dew.

fusion
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Interesting that they used an old Mello Yello picture with the two line extensions. Hopeful, but doubtful that they'll return as well.

CitrusCola
12-08-2009, 06:41 AM
I think that this is a good move by Coca-Cola. Vault (and Surge) were aimed at younger customers, but Mello Yello is an established brand that is familiar to older customers. If they produce a Zero version and bring back the flavor extensions, they can focus their marketing effort on a single citrus product. When you compare the taste, I think Mello Yello is better than Vault (even if it doesn't match up to Sun Drop or Mountain Dew).

mjb1124
12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Say what you will about the taste of Vault, but you can't argue that it wasn't unique. Mello Yello just tastes like a poor man's Mountain Dew to me, and that's pretty much the image it has in public. I can't see Mello Yello succeeding any more this time outside of its core market, no matter how well they push it. Vault seems to have at least somewhat of a following here in the NYC area, and they'd be wise to stick with that.

atrac
12-09-2009, 03:09 AM
I saw Mello-Yello at a Big-Kmart in Toledo, OH the other day when I was visiting. Unfortunately it was just before I left town so I didn't get a chance to buy any.

They also had Herr's Ketchup Flavored Potato Chips -- something else I would have tried if I had more time. :(

fusion
12-09-2009, 05:50 AM
I hear one of the big reasons that the ketchup chips are produced is that they are a favorite of either the president or the founder of the company (can't remember which one).

They also have Old Bay, Ragin' Ranch (spicy ranch), a killer hot jalapeno chip that I've only been able to find in the really small bags, and a few other interesting flavors. I practically live in their backyard, and they really give Frito Lay a run for their money. But then again, I live near PA, the snack capital of the world. Utz, Snyder's of Hanover, Herr's, along with probably hundreds of smaller chip and pretzel companies.

Dewman1979
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I hate vault, I love mello Yello. I hope they do this product right and give us flavor extensions.

joshal1980
12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Mello Yello should be easier to find in the later part of 2010; because Coca-Cola is going to relaunch it with retro graphics. The design looks pretty good and may prove to be the end of Vault.

Dewman1979
12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Later part? Boo.

joshal1980
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I want to say it was between May and August, but I can not remember the exact month. Sorry

webersa
12-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I have to wonder what the ad campaign will look like then? If it looks similar to the original 10 oz returnable glass bottles of Mello Yello I get, it could look pretty cool. Hopefully, it won't be highjacked and the look of original logo (I am enjoying a glass bottle of Mello Yello as I type this message :D), will be maintained.

Dewman1979
01-16-2010, 03:39 AM
I hope they just go all out for once. I have never seen a flavored Mello Yello in my market. Just the regular and diet.

fusion
01-16-2010, 06:37 AM
More like early/mid April. No word on what markets it will return to/expand to, though. I'm crossing my fingers that they consider bringing back cherry and melon as well.

CitrusCola
01-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Mello Yello never went away around here, but the Diet version and flavor extensions did. I hope they bring back the Diet (or a Zero) version.

mjb1124
01-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I gave Mello Yello another chance during my trip down south. I think maybe my bad impression was based on a poorly-mixed fountain version because I thought it was pretty tasty this time around. Still not sure if I like it more than Dew or Vault, but it would be good for a change of pace once in a while.

I've never seen it in NJ in my lifetime, outside of the occasional fountain. Did they ever sell it around here? It would be cool if it turned up.

By the way, I also tried Sun Drop. Was surprised at how grapefruity it was. Not bad, but nothing I'd really go out of my way for again.

Dewman1979
01-16-2010, 07:46 PM
More like early/mid April. No word on what markets it will return to/expand to, though. I'm crossing my fingers that they consider bringing back cherry and melon as well.

Here is a good market to get, since vault completely flopped.

I hope it happens.

drpep
01-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Mello Yello should be easier to find in the later part of 2010; because Coca-Cola is going to relaunch it with retro graphics. The design looks pretty good and may prove to be the end of Vault.

Vault has a full page in the current Maxim. Not sure if this reflects the future of the product.

fusion
01-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I've never seen it in NJ in my lifetime, outside of the occasional fountain. Did they ever sell it around here? It would be cool if it turned up.

By the way, I also tried Sun Drop. Was surprised at how grapefruity it was. Not bad, but nothing I'd really go out of my way for again.

No Mello Yello in NJ for at least the last 14 years, that I can confirm. The closest would have been.. shoot, I don't even know. I think Coca-Cola Southeastern New England carried it (they are in New London CT) at one point.

NJ had Surge, which flopped, and now Vault.

Did you try Cherry Lemon Sundrop? That's my personal favorite.

mjb1124
01-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Didn't see Cherry Lemon Sun Drop anywhere... just regular and diet. Otherwise I definitely would've tried it. I'd be really interested in trying Mello Yello Melon and Afterglow if they ever resurfaced. I actually mixed some Yello with some Peach Sunkist and it was quite an appealing combination.

I do remember when Surge was around here, but at the time I was afraid to try it for some childish reason. Vault's presence seems to be dwindling, but I still see some 20 oz bottles occasionally, plus I can still get it in fountains at Quick Chek, Wawa, and (at least the last time I checked) White Castle.

CitrusCola
01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I went to the local Walmart this morning and noticed that the Coke products had just been restocked. Mello Yello was there, but Vault was not.