PDA

View Full Version : Peach soda discussion

Susan
12-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Hello,

Probably my favorite flavor of soft drinks is peach, though for some reason this is a rare flavor. The first peach soda I tried was back in the early 90s. Albertons used to sell many Nesbitt's flavors in cans including Peach. It was HEAVENLY! To no surprise this was the first Nesbitt's flavor to start disappearing from the shelves and then eventually all of them were gone. (Island Delight was good too)

I recently ordered some Nesbitt's peach in glass bottles and I can say it doesn't hold a candle to the old Nesbitt's Peach in cans. In fact, it's not very good. Alberston's also had a Shasta Strawberry Peach and while the peach was much more prominent in this drink, I don't consider it a true peach soda, just like classifying Cherry drinks like Cherry cola, cherry creme, black cherry and so on are bogus.

Years went by until I tasted another peach soda and in fact I didn't even know they existed. Before the internet, we all kind of lived in our own little cocoons. But in 96 I got to try Peach Crush, then Big K, then a bunch of them in succession. I'm sure there's more than the ones I'll list but out of the ones I've tried here is my favorite peach soda list (in order).

1. Peach Crush -- not even close
2. The old Nesbitt's Peach in cans
3. Sunkist -- similar to Crush
4. Peach Slice
5. Stewarts Peach
6. Big K Peach -- Big K, the best store brand soda anywhere in my opinion!
7. Vess Peach -- for a generic, not too shabby.
8. Nehi Peach -- good flavor but a bit bland
9. Frostie Peach -- only had a few before it went bye bye
10. Filberts Peach-- not enough sugar
11. Big Peach
12. Cool Mountain -- thanks but no thanks. Nasty stuff with virtually no peach flavor.

I think Canada Dry has a Peach that I'm sure is great and likely there are other peach sodas out there which I hope to find someday. I'll post my Cherry soda review soon. (Real cherry soda) :p

BottleBoss
12-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Food Lion sells a peach soda but it is really not very good. Cheap tasting all the way.

skylark68
12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Big Peach is pretty good. It's made by Big Red. It's fairly easy to find in Houston, but I'm not sure about outside Texas.

drpep
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I have a bottle of Cananda Dry Peach. It's been sitting around for 2 months. I'll try it someday. I thought Nehi Peach was decent.

Susan
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, let me know how it is! The ONLY Canada Dry I've ever seen in the stores is Ginger Ale. When I was a kid though my grandmother used to serve us Canada Dry in flavors all the time.

By the way, GREAT avatar! Red Fusion is probably my favorite drink ever. What a shame they got rid of it. :mad:

fusion
12-03-2009, 01:33 AM
I am a little spoiled, I have easy access to all the Canada Dry flavors. They are mainly sold in the Canada Dry Delaware Valley territory, which is greater Philadelphia, southern New Jersey, Delaware, and parts of eastern Maryland.

This is the current lineup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/cdry-flavor20oz.jpg

The other flavor is Wild Cherry, but it's only in 2 liters. Black Cherry and Pineapple, and maybe Cream are in 2 liters also. Lime and Peach are 20oz only. They aren't sold in cans.

Previously they all had unique labels, but when Canada Dry ginger ale went to that crest logo label, they followed suit with the flavors. I think the labels are boring now.

Susan
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
OMG! I would faint if I walked in a store and saw those flavors!!! Is the peach any good? The Wild Cherry sounds great. :p

drpep
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh that Island Lime looks good. I wonder why only Peach and Creme made it to central Pennyslvania?

drpep
12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Susan;371277].

By the way, GREAT avatar! Red Fusion is probably my favorite drink ever. QUOTE]

Dr Pepper Cherry is as close as you will get to Red Fusion.

Man From Ohio
12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Red Rock has a peach flavor that I thought I had grabbed out of a cooler and bought a couple of months ago. As it turns out, in my haste I grabbed a Red Rock Orange instead. Since Red Rock Cola is rather good, the peach is probably tasty as well.

CitrusCola
12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I've seen Red Rock Peach before, but I've never tried it. It's bottled by Big Springs in AL.

Big Springs, Inc. - Quick, Efficient, and Superior Bottling (http://www.bigspringsinc.com/website/products.html)

lordmadone
12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Tried the vanilla cream canada dry....awesome. I wish they bottled it in 2 liters in my area..they only have it in 20oz in wawas. I tried the Island lime and it tastes like a fruit pop. Got it around the richmond metro area.

ilikesoda
12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Hands down, without a doubt, the best peach soda ever is Welch's Peach Soda. It also happens to be the absolute hardest one to find of all of the elusive peach sodas. The only, and I stress ONLY place I know of that makes it is in the DC Metro Area. Its made by Canada Dry Potomac and is only available in 20 oz bottles and only in gas stations. It's been a few years though since I lived there and had that wonderful nectar of the Gods. Can anyone confirm that its still available or if anyone else bottles it?

But if I had to pick a number 2 it would be sunkist peach.

The absolute worst -- fanta peach in the 20oz bottle.
it still makes me gag thinking about it. It tasted more like those fake plastic peaches my grandma had in the glass bowl on her coffee table back in the late 70's.

mjb1124
12-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Fanta is the only peach soda I've tried, and it reminded me of peach shampoo. But I suppose based on the comments here that I shouldn't let it sour me on peach soda in general.

mello yello
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM
i am a peach soda fan. i found welch's peach in baltimore in october (20 0z. in a 7-11 near lexington market). i was quite impressed. canada dry peach is also good, that is the peach drink i usually drink as it is available in philly. sunkist peach is also good, but i only have found it once. but the best peach drink of all time is mello yello afterglow!

Mr Zabe
12-12-2009, 06:32 AM
At least as I see it, life is too short.
I will roll with the punches "good or bad " with the
only vice I truly enjoy, ice cold sweet carbonated
soft drinks. I do not smoke, I do not drink booze and I do
not do like Tiger. LOL Give me Pepsi and I'm happy. :)
( I stay healthy, my blood tests are normal as I drink one
500ml btl of water for every can of Pepsi I drink.)

Susan
12-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Thank you very much for all of you that chimed in on my peach soda discussion. There were some interesting thoughts. Thanks also to the mods who deleted some of the spam comments. Soon I will start a cherry soda discussion. :p

ilikesoda
12-14-2009, 12:23 AM
You know, now that I think about it, there really aren't many cherry sodas from the big 3. I mean yeah, I can find a black cherry soda, or maybe a cherry cream, but just plain cherry? Not many. Offhand I can only think of crush cherry, the elusive fanta cherry, cherikee red (although not from the big 3, but still well known), and um.. well that's it. Sunkist has a cherry limeade, but I heard a rumor that a long time ago there was a plain cherry sunkist? anyone have anything on that? Anyone know of any other major cherry sodas. On a side note rock creek cherry smash is yummy, but very localized.

I think cherry is a far underrated flavor.

I do miss minute maid cherry soda :(

fusion
12-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Canada Dry here has Wild Cherry - again a localized thing. And only in 2L. You can get Fanta and Minute Maid Cherry, but only on tap or as a frozen drink. The Zaxby's chicken chain (mostly in GA) has Fanta Cherry.

And I believe that Cherikee Red is a DPS product, through their Cotton Club subsidiary. I don't have a can in front of me to say that for 100% certainty.

And although Cheerwine isn't a big 3, it is bottled by Pepsi and DPS bottlers in some areas, with an ever expanding sales territory.

I'm anxiously awaiting the return of Cherry Crush. It's been probably 6-7 years since it's been available around here. A small distributor in the Philadelphia area (now apparently out of business) was buying 6 packs from Polar Beverages of MA back then.

Susan
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Cherry is my favorite and yes it is very rare. I'll try to do my Cherry review post later tonight. ;)

Mr Zabe
12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I came across a Pepsi machine that had Orange Crush.
The last time I had some Orange Crush was about 2 years ago.
I did not enjoy it. I tried a can from this Pepsi machine and very
much so enjoyed it. Actually it was an instant addition to my A-List. :)

jimsmith117
12-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Hello,

Probably my favorite flavor of soft drinks is peach, though for some reason this is a rare flavor. The first peach soda I tried was back in the early 90s. Albertons used to sell many Nesbitt's flavors in cans including Peach. It was HEAVENLY! To no surprise this was the first Nesbitt's flavor to start disappearing from the shelves and then eventually all of them were gone. (Island Delight was good too)

I recently ordered some Nesbitt's peach in glass bottles and I can say it doesn't hold a candle to the old Nesbitt's Peach in cans. In fact, it's not very good. Alberston's also had a Shasta Strawberry Peach and while the peach was much more prominent in this drink, I don't consider it a true peach soda, just like classifying Cherry drinks like Cherry cola, cherry creme, black cherry and so on are bogus.

Years went by until I tasted another peach soda and in fact I didn't even know they existed. Before the internet, we all kind of lived in our own little cocoons. But in 96 I got to try Peach Crush, then Big K, then a bunch of them in succession. I'm sure there's more than the ones I'll list but out of the ones I've tried here is my favorite peach soda list (in order).

1. Peach Crush -- not even close
2. The old Nesbitt's Peach in cans
3. Sunkist -- similar to Crush
4. Peach Slice
5. Stewarts Peach
7. Vess Peach -- for a generic, not too shabby.
8. Nehi Peach -- good flavor but a bit bland
9. Frostie Peach -- only had a few before it went bye bye
10. Filberts Peach-- not enough sugar
11. Big Peach
12. Cool Mountain -- thanks but no thanks. Nasty stuff with virtually no peach flavor.

I think Canada Dry has a Peach that I'm sure is great and likely there are other peach sodas out there which I hope to find someday. I'll post my Cherry soda review soon. (Real cherry soda) :p
You have Nehi peach at number 8, was this in glass from WJDP ?

Susan
12-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I've had it both in glass and cans. It's OK, just a little bland in my opinion.

shatteryib
12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Someone mentioned Red Rock Peach. As it turns out, I came across this soda a few months ago at a Piggly Wiggly and purchased it. I have to say, beyond any reasonable doubt, that it was the best peach soda I've had to this day.

I think Nehi is pretty good, but comes on a bit strong.

I also came across Peach Sunkist in Athens, AL about a year ago and thought that it was pretty good but had a bit too much bite to it. Then again, most sodas from Sunkist have that bite, but it doesn't go well in some drinks.

Now, as far as Big Peach is concerned, I am not too thrilled with it, but still think it is pretty good.

Faygo Peach is probably the only Faygo soda I have not liked, and I even liked the Candy Apple Faygo (have them listed on eBay, too!).

Man From Ohio
12-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Another peach soda that comes to mind is Jumbo Peach from the Double Cola Company. Its availability appears to be quite limited, even in areas that have Double Cola products. Jackson County, Ohio, where I travel to in order to feed my Double Cola and Ski addictions, has only had Jumbo Orange and Jumbo Grape during my travels there. Based on how good those two are, though, I wouldn't hesitate to try Jumbo Peach. The most likely places to find it are in Chattanooga, Tennessee or Evansville, Indiana. Double Cola is very good about reponding to emails and could tell you where else it might be found. And although the company mail order forms list only Double Cola and Ski formulations, it's possible they might arrange to send Jumbo Peach. The mail order option is rather expensive, though.

shatteryib
12-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Another peach soda that comes to mind is Jumbo Peach from the Double Cola Company. Its availability appears to be quite limited, even in areas that have Double Cola products. Jackson County, Ohio, where I travel to in order to feed my Double Cola and Ski addictions, has only had Jumbo Orange and Jumbo Grape during my travels there. Based on how good those two are, though, I wouldn't hesitate to try Jumbo Peach. The most likely places to find it are in Chattanooga, Tennessee or Evansville, Indiana. Double Cola is very good about reponding to emails and could tell you where else it might be found. And although the company mail order forms list only Double Cola and Ski formulations, it's possible they might arrange to send Jumbo Peach. The mail order option is rather expensive, though.

God, I forgot about Jumbo Peach. I used to be able to get them back in the day. I can't hardly find Double Cola anymore. Ski, on the other hand, I can usually find in Kentucky.

Man From Ohio
01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Susan;371268]Hello,

/QUOTE]

I'm curious about where you have found Big K Peach. I've lived in or near Cincinnati, which is the heart of Kroger country, all my life and don't recall ever seeing it. I know that Kroger owns other chains, such as Ralph's and others, out west. Do those stores have Big K brand sodas?

Susan
01-01-2010, 08:40 PM

/QUOTE]

I'm curious about where you have found Big K Peach. I've lived in or near Cincinnati, which is the heart of Kroger country, all my life and don't recall ever seeing it. I know that Kroger owns other chains, such as Ralph's and others, out west. Do those stores have Big K brand sodas?

I actually got Big K soda in Phoenix, AZ. a few years back while visiting the state. There was a store called Fry's that had Big K drinks. I had bought some before so I knew which ones I wanted again. I bought several cases of Big K Citrus Drop, Big K Red Drop and a bunch of 2 liter bottles of Big K Peach. I don't think Big K Peach comes in cans but I could be wrong. Ralph's in California doesn't carry Big K sodas unfortunately.

Man From Ohio
01-01-2010, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Man From Ohio;371617]

I actually got Big K soda in Phoenix, AZ. a few years back while visiting the state. There was a store called Fry's that had Big K drinks. I had bought some before so I knew which ones I wanted again. I bought several cases of Big K Citrus Drop, Big K Red Drop and a bunch of 2 liter bottles of Big K Peach. I don't think Big K Peach comes in cans but I could be wrong. Ralph's in California doesn't carry Big K sodas unfortunately.

Fry's is owned by Kroger--interesting how some of the Kroger-owned chains carry Big K and others don't. You're probably right about the peach not being available in cans--a few other Big K sodas are only sold in 2L. Thanks!

shatteryib
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
One store brand peach soda that I think is much better than Kroger's is the Publix brand peach soda.

Man From Ohio
01-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Food Lion sells a peach soda but it is really not very good. Cheap tasting all the way.

Does Food Lion sell it in 6 or 12 pack cans, 2L, or both? There's a Food Lion not too far south of Cincinnati. I've been looking for excuses to go there, and trying the peach soda--even if it's awful--gives me yet another excuse! The quick demise of this particular Food Lion was predicted a while back when Super Wally opened nearby. Fortunately, that hasn't happened--yet. That's another reason to make the trip: buy some stuff from the undredog!

jimsmith117
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM

/QUOTE]

Here in south-central Ky at Kroger they have the Big K Peach only in 2 liters,but i haven't tried it.
Nehi Peach from WJDP is pretty good,but it is the strongest flavored soda I have ever drank.I sometimes weaken it down by pouring it over ice.I usually don't do this with West Jefferson glass products,however this was an exception.

Susan
01-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I've heard a few of you say Nehi had a lot of bite to it. Perhaps I'll have to try it again. My biggest complaint was that it was too bland. Maybe I'm just tougher than all you men. haha :p

yeahuno
01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Nehi is to bland for me, terrible.

mjb1124
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I found Sunkist Peach near Fort Lauderdale, FL and gave it a try... it had a nice smooth taste, not sickeningly sweet and chemically like Fanta. Glad I didn't give up on this flavor. Hopefully I'll get around to trying Crush and the others eventually.

Man From Ohio
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Man From Ohio;371617]
Here in south-central Ky at Kroger they have the Big K Peach only in 2 liters,but i haven't tried it.

Thanks for responding. After saying earlier in this thread that I've never seen Big K Peach at Kroger, I went to a Kroger I don't regularly visit a few nights ago and there it was, Big K Peach in 2L. Maybe I hadn't been looking too closely at the 2L Big K displays. I do know that Kroger doesn't carry all of the Big K brands at all of its stores.

Anyway, I bought one of the Big K Peach 2L (at the sale price of 59 cents!) and have now tried it. Very nice color, strong peach-like aroma, and rather strong peach taste. The only drawback is a tad too much carbonation, which slightly interferes with the enjoyment of the peach flavor. Still, a fine effort and very much above average for a store brand soda.

fusion
01-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Does Food Lion sell it in 6 or 12 pack cans, 2L, or both? There's a Food Lion not too far south of Cincinnati. I've been looking for excuses to go there, and trying the peach soda--even if it's awful--gives me yet another excuse! The quick demise of this particular Food Lion was predicted a while back when Super Wally opened nearby. Fortunately, that hasn't happened--yet. That's another reason to make the trip: buy some stuff from the undredog!

Peach is sold in fridge packaging. They also have orange pineapple, fruit punch, black cherry, and their Dr Pepper knockoff is Dr Perky.

yeahuno
01-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Faygo and Fanta also have peach pop.

Susan
01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=jimsmith117;371634]

Thanks for responding. After saying earlier in this thread that I've never seen Big K Peach at Kroger, I went to a Kroger I don't regularly visit a few nights ago and there it was, Big K Peach in 2L. Maybe I hadn't been looking too closely at the 2L Big K displays. I do know that Kroger doesn't carry all of the Big K brands at all of its stores.

Anyway, I bought one of the Big K Peach 2L (at the sale price of 59 cents!) and have now tried it. Very nice color, strong peach-like aroma, and rather strong peach taste. The only drawback is a tad too much carbonation, which slightly interferes with the enjoyment of the peach flavor. Still, a fine effort and very much above average for a store brand soda.

The Big K Citrus Drop is very good also and I like the Red Drop.

scum1
01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
No it is not a pure peach but it taste fantastic. If you can handle an energy drink try this if you get a chance

Man From Ohio
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Peach is sold in fridge packaging. They also have orange pineapple, fruit punch, black cherry, and their Dr Pepper knockoff is Dr Perky.

Thanks for the info. As usual, when it comes to soft drink knowledge, you da man!

I've had Pineapple Crush, which is really fine. Wish Food Lion didn't mix orange in. Dr. Perky? I would be embarassed to be seen buying something with such a name!:p

Man From Ohio
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Man From Ohio;371733]

The Big K Citrus Drop is very good also and I like the Red Drop.

I've never tried the Red, but I like the Citrus Drop. Diet Citrus Drop is a very good sugar free soda.