PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Dr Pepper

Tannerman
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
In the Pepsi Throwback to return (http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/bevboard-general/32547-pepsi-throwback-return.html) discussion, there were a few mentions about a retro Dr Pepper product rumored to appear...

My boss called me to tell me that his Pepsi sales rep told him they were bringing back Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback...

... and this time, there's going to be a Dr. Pepper Throwback?!?

I don't see how there would be a Dr Pepper Throwback, considering Dr Pepper isn't a Pepsico product. However there have been rumors here back like 2-3 years ago that Pepper would try a cane-sugar limited edition at some point. I don't think it went past test-markets though.

I'm pretty sure that there will indeed be a Dr. Pepper "throwback" type beverage coming out about the same time as the Dew/Pepsi Throwback. I believe it's called Dr. Pepper Heritage.

I talked to my contact at Dr Pepper Snapple Group the other day (http://www.bevreview.com/2009/12/14/coming-soon-heritage-dr-pepper-with-sugar/) and they were able to confirm that a "drink of that type" was going to arrive First Quarter 2010, "with sugar" and produced "with Pepsi".

Today a BevReview reader sent me a photo of a can he bought at a Wal-mart in Indiana:

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_heritagedrpepper1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2009/12/14/coming-soon-heritage-dr-pepper-with-sugar/)

So I guess it is happening! :)

- Steve

mofizz
12-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I got word today that DP Heritage will only be available to Pepsi bottlers that carry Dr. Pepper. This could be interesting.

Mr Zabe
12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Now I'm really excited!

SamC
12-17-2009, 08:15 AM
It would seem odd that the company would favor Pepsi bottlers (who make up about 40% of the total) over Coke bottlers and especially over the independent and company owned ones.

Tannerman
12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
My gut on that is that Dr Pepper Snapple already had a relationship with the top Pepsi bottlers, especially when it came to carrying Crush and the like. With Pepsi buying out their two top bottlers, DPSG renegotiated with Pepsi to ensure continued distribution. Plus, if these are really going to be produced side-by-side along with the Throwbacks, one might speculate that they are tapping into the same cane/beet sugar sources on the bottling side.

mofizz
12-17-2009, 10:42 AM
My gut on that is that Dr Pepper Snapple already had a relationship with the top Pepsi bottlers, especially when it came to carrying Crush and the like. With Pepsi buying out their two top bottlers, DPSG renegotiated with Pepsi to ensure continued distribution. Plus, if these are really going to be produced side-by-side along with the Throwbacks, one might speculate that they are tapping into the same cane/beet sugar sources on the bottling side.

It's the cane/beet sugar manufacturing process that is the key. It has some sort of fancy designation (CAT3?). Pepsi invested a little in getting plants able to do this, and yes they are using the same sugar sources for bottling.

fusion
12-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I think the idea is that Heritage can be merchandised along side of the two Throwbacks, so you have a trio of products. Also, it could be compensation for PBG/PAS losing the DPS brands other than Dr Pepper, Crush and Schweppes once the merger goes through. Or it could be a "reward" for the $900 million payment and the 20 year contract that will go into effect once the merger is complete.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this one, so if anyone else knows the details, feel free to correct me. Remember Coolah? Apparently it was some sort of compensation to CCE after the DPSUBG bottling mergers and the loss of some contract bottling volume from CCE to the previously independent bottlers. Unfortunately it didn't do that well, and the diet version that was planned never happened, and it was discontinued completely. Personally, I liked it. You knew it was a DPSU product, the UPC started with 78000. But it was canned by CCE - ours came from the Portland IN plant.

Dewman1979
12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
So Pepsi can distribute DP but not Squirt?

Themaster73
12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
It's the cane/beet sugar manufacturing process that is the key. It has some sort of fancy designation (CAT3?). Pepsi invested a little in getting plants able to do this, and yes they are using the same sugar sources for bottling.

So regular Pepsi has a combination of HFCS, cane sugar, and beet sugar then?

"High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Sugar"

Maybe there will be more Passover Pepsi available this year since more places will now be able to make it.

So how did Pepsi get made in those bottlers what weren't equipped for sugar (since it is now a HFCS/sugar mix), or did they still use the "High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar" labels and just use HFCS?

mofizz
12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
No, Regular Pepsi has HFCS. Throwback has a combo of cane/beet sugar.

Couldn't say about Passover Pepsi. You could be correct.

Bottlers not equipped for Sugar either had to get the product eleswhere or not participate.

Themaster73
12-17-2009, 06:42 PM
No, Regular Pepsi has HFCS. Throwback has a combo of cane/beet sugar.

Couldn't say about Passover Pepsi. You could be correct.

Bottlers not equipped for Sugar either had to get the product eleswhere or not participate.

Pepsi: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR

Regular Pepsi's ingredients list both HFCS AND Sugar, I wondered whether that sugar is just beet or the cane/beet combo. A combo would make regular pepsi a mix of 3 sweeteners (corn, cane, beet)

fusion
12-17-2009, 06:43 PM
mofizz is right. You can't produce cane sugar or beet/cane sugar sodas on hfcs-only machinery. I don't know the specific equipment required, but there are differences. That is why Kosher for Passover sodas are produced only at a few locations and shipped far distances - those production facilities are set up to handle both.

For specialty items like KP soda, Throwbacks, Heritage, etc... it would be more likely that smaller bottlers would buy from the larger ones, just due to the investment of packaging, syrup/sweetener storage, equipment investment, etc for such a small run (comparatively).

On a similar note, ABARTA Coke in Bethlehem, PA has the dual machinery. The sugar colas are distributed only in their Bethlehem territory, while they produce and ship hfcs colas to their Coatesville territory. Sometimes I'll get lucky and find the sugar stuff in the Coatesville territory, but it's really hit and miss. Fairly recently I found a cache of sugar Coke at a Wal-Mart, and some 12 pack Cherry Coke at another store, but during my last trip last week, I found no sugar colas at all, in any packaging. Everything was hfcs. Good thing I bought 6 24 packs at the Wal-Mart!

I'm really hoping Heritage makes it out this way. I have fairly easy access to Pepsi-distributed Dr Pepper in Maryland (from PBG) and in central/southern Delaware (from PBV).

And to Dewman - once the merger between PepsiCo, PBG and PAS goes through, PepsiCo will relinquish rights to all DPS sodas other than Schweppes, Dr Pepper, and Crush in the US. The rights will return to DPS. This includes Vernors, Hawaiian Punch, Sunkist, Squirt, and any other DPS brand that PAS or PBG may be carrying outside of the above three. I know Pepsi sells a lot of Vernors in Michigan, so that will hurt them some. I don't know if PBG kept Sunkist in any of the markets they've acquired in the past few years or not. I do know that a few indie Coke and Pepsi bottlers have Sunkist as their orange soda.

Themaster73
12-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Until 2006-2007 Pepsi had "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND/OR SUGAR",

Now they have "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR" suggesting that it is a blend (although not 50/50 like the early 1980s).

So regular Pepsi must be made at a few places and shipped to the smaller locations then since that formula calls for sugar as well as HFCS (unless some places still list "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND/OR SUGAR"). The Pepsi product website has "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR"

fusion
12-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Or, it's possible that the sweeteners come pre-blended. I'm sure that the small amount of sugar in Pepsi has little to no effect on the properties of the hfcs, and doesn't require any special machinery, like with pure sugar.

drpep
12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Last time I was on Cheraw, SC area, 2009, Pepsi still had Sunkist.

doug1885
01-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I recently had a chance to try Heritage Dr Pepper (via 12 pack cans). Naturally, I first tried chilling it and drinking it straight. There definitely was a better flavor than ordinary HFCS Dr Pepper, with perhaps some honey-like quality to the sweetness, but there was also a bit of bitterness (YMMV). I later tried some with ice and found that, while the intensity of the flavor was reduced slightly, the bitterness was reduced quite a bit, leaving the overall flavor quite enjoyable. I wonder if the quality of the tap water for the ice makes a difference....

I'm not sure exactly what goes on, but perhaps you may find this tip useful.

-Doug

drpep
01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I think it tastes like Diet Dr Pepper. I will be able to purchase a 12 pack from another bottler later this week and compare tastes. Maybe the Wytheville, VA bottled Heritage, what I have now, was a bad batch.

SamC
01-03-2010, 08:27 AM
You can't produce cane sugar or beet/cane sugar sodas on hfcs-only machinery. I don't know the specific equipment required, but there are differences. That is why Kosher for Passover sodas are produced only at a few locations and shipped far distances - those production facilities are set up to handle both.

Technically, that is not exactly right. If you leave the religious aspect out of it, a bottling plant can switch sweeteners on the fly. In fact, at some market points, a manufacturer will play one sweetener off against the other for the best price (this market condition has not existed in the USA for some time, but commodity markets change over time, it may happen again).

The religious aspect is where the seperate line comes in. To be "kosher for Passover" the entire operation has to be overseen by Rabbis. Obviously they charge for their services, so it just makes sense to only pay as few as possible, overseeing a smaller operation. Further, the very reason HFCS is not "kosher" is because corn (maize, the word "corn" in the KJV is used in the British meaning, which is synomonous with "grain") is, of course, is a New World grain unmentioned in the Bible. The kosher issue is that as a grain it theoretically could get a trivial amount of yeast from the air in it, and yeast (levening) is prohibited. So, since on a theoretical basis a line used for HFCS could, have a tiny drop of HFCS in it somewhere and thus could have an atom or two of yeast, the Rabbi would require a cost prohibitative industrial and religious cleaning of the whole set up.

This is why a seperate line is used.

BottleBoss
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I have been wondering where to actually find this in the area of Frederick, Maryland. I think Dr. Pepper is bottled by the R.C. Cola bottler around here. I could be wrong though. Other people have said they have found it here in Maryland. Any one else from this area seen it?

fusion
01-07-2010, 10:01 AM
You are correct - Dr Pepper in Frederick County is from RC Winchester.

I'm thinking the closest to you would possibly be the Super Fresh and the Wal-Mart in Mount Airy - they are on the Carroll County side of the town. Since distributorships generally follow county lines, Pepsi would have Dr Pepper in those stores. It's been a long time since I've been in those stores to remember if that's true or not.

jmyjunk
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Heritage DP has made it to Colorado. I pick up a 20oz, and I haven't been a big soft drink drinker in some time, I tend to buy a new product bottle just for taste. However, with Heritage DP, i drank the whole bottle, it was wonderful.
With real sugar, to me, the taste of the Dr.Pepper really shines through. There is not a sickly sweetafter taste as with HFCS sweetened sodas. I found it quite mellow actualy.

This product is a winner. I wish, this was the standard DP.

lj01
01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
has anyone seen this in Southern California, specifically San Diego?

fusion
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Hopefully I'll get to try some early next week - I hear the indie Pepsi distributor in eastern MD finally got it in.

Susan
01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I bought some of the Pepsi with sugar yesterday. Personally it doesn't matter to me if it's made with HFCS or sugar, it beats Coce Cola either way. But one thing they definitely should do is go back to the old Pepsi logo that they're using on these cans instead of that dumb logo they use now. That's one thing Coke has Pepsi beat on, hands down is the looks of their cans. But if Pepsi goes back to that old logo, that's a different story. ;)

janstett
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I bought some of the Pepsi with sugar yesterday. Personally it doesn't matter to me if it's made with HFCS or sugar, it beats Coce Cola either way. But one thing they definitely should do is go back to the old Pepsi logo that they're using on these cans instead of that dumb logo they use now. That's one thing Coke has Pepsi beat on, hands down is the looks of their cans. But if Pepsi goes back to that old logo, that's a different story. ;)

I have been a Pepsi-first drinker for all of my life, to the point of snobbery sometimes.

Then I started working in the Allentown/Bethlehem PA area mentioned above, and discovered there was something different about the Coke I got out of the vending machines at work. After a while, it hit me -- no HFCS, but instead sucrose (sugar). I no longer work there but I make a trip about every 3 months to bring back 200-250 cans of the stuff from Sam's Club in that area.

This is coming from a former Pepsi snob -- sugar Coke is my new favorite, better than regular Pepsi, better than old Throwback, better than new Throwback. I really think Coke (corporate) is missing something by not jumping on the Throwback bandwagon and/or switching more bottlers to sucrose.

If you get a chance to swing into one of the areas with sucrose Coke, try it. (Allentown, PA ; Cleveland OH; Buffalo NY). And it's very different than MexiCoke, much more flavorful and smooth; better tasting by a mile IMO.

And I agree on the logo failure of Pepsi. I was fine with the can redesigns and tweaks of the old Pepsi ying-yang logo. But a company works long and hard to establish a logo that becomes synonymous with the brand. The new logo, which I call "the sailboat", makes no sense to me. Some idiot consultants got paid millions to ruin the brand's logo, and IMO it's inevitable they switch back to some form of the old ying-yang.

I've been stocking up on Throwback, but I still haven't sighted Heritage Dr. Pepper yet...

drpep
01-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't think Tonawanda (Buffalo) plant puts out Sucrose Coke.

01GTB
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Wow! I guess I haven't been on here in a while. I felt lucky to score some Pepsi Throwback at Albertsons tonight, and didn't even bother to look at the Dr Pepper section.

rv65
01-12-2010, 04:21 AM

Nope but I purchased 2 20 oz bottles at a gas station just off the freeway in some rural part of CA on my way home from the bay area.

el hombre de los moleculos
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
anybody seen any in N.C.? I've yet to see any in Winston-Salem or surrounding areas.

Tannerman
01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
My sister -- who lives in Indiana -- found me some Heritage Dr Pepper (as it's not in Chicago) and sent some my way. Add some snow, a tree, and my camera and you have...

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_heritagedrpepper01.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2010/01/13/heritage-dr-pepper/)

Review: Heritage Dr Pepper (http://www.bevreview.com/2010/01/13/heritage-dr-pepper/)

ScottyLibido
01-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Where is the closest to Detroit MI I can pick this up? Anyone know?

fusion
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Michigan is all DPS and CCE. You'd have to go to Ohio. PepsiAmericas has warehouses in Toledo, Cleveland, Elyria, and Youngstown.

PepsiAmericas: Locations: United States: Ohio (http://www.pepsiamericas.com/locations/map.us.oh.html)

Android
01-15-2010, 11:53 PM
I picked up a 12pk of it today locally. I don't know, but maybe it's my years of mostly drinking NutraSweet and Splenda sodas has made it so I can't taste sugar sodas correctly anymore.... but I was not very impressed with the Heritage Dr Pepper. It seemed, well, bland to me. (as does Pepsi TB)
-Andy

CitrusCola
01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Android,

I tried it today and had the exact same reaction. It tasted bland to me.

fusion
01-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Same here. I've tried it in cans and bottles, it is quite bland. Different bottlers, too. The cans came from PBG Wytheville VA, and the bottles from PBV Winston-Salem NC.

BottleBoss
01-18-2010, 08:02 AM
A Food Lion? in Westminster, Maryland had Dr. Pepper Heritage on friday night. A lot of it to. I bought a couple cases to put in the soda machine at work. I tried some and think it is pretty good but the flavor seemed weak to me. Watered down maybe? It was good though and I would buy it again.

Hellionz
01-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Stater Bros although when I lived in SD, I never found any. But they are up in the LA and surrounding areas. They had all three. Pepsi, MD, DP going for 2 for $8.

01GTB
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
My local Publix store had a few bottles in their cooler near the registers. So far this is the only place I have seen it. I asked the manager if they were going to have it on the shelves and he went into some story about it being extremely limited and did not think they would.

I've been a Dr Pepper drinker all my life. I don't remember how many cases I bought at West Jefferson the last two times I was up there, but at least 75 cases. And I don't know how many times I have ordered from Dublin. But for the $1.50 they want to let me sample a bottle of Dr Pepper Heritage, they can keep it. I don't care if I ever taste the stuff.

fusion
01-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't get it?

You're not going to get it cheaper - the only other package it's in is 12pk cans, which are far more expensive than $1.50.

And most store managers are pretty clueless when it comes to what sodas they are going to carry. I've even heard managers diss a certain brand - don't bring that in, it's not going to sell. Or don't put that on a display, it's not going to sell. And then we do, and we sell a crapton of it.

Coke Zero is a prime example of aggressively getting a product out there, and watching it grow double digits, usually 20% or more every year. It's required on every display, it's in every cooler, vending machines, fountains, and a wide variety of packages on the shelf. And the Zero name has worked well with other brands/flavors - Powerade Zero, Fanta Orange Zero, and coming soon, vitaminwater zero.

Mr Zabe
01-19-2010, 06:58 AM
$1.50 a bottle (assuming single bottle), what's the big deal.
Even for a 12pk, sampling a new "sugar" Dr Pepper seems worth
the risk.

Themaster73
01-19-2010, 04:13 PM
$1.50 a bottle (assuming single bottle), what's the big deal.
Even for a 12pk, sampling a new "sugar" Dr Pepper seems worth
the risk.

Too bad 2 liter isn't there, at least Pepsi and Mountain Dew now have 2 liters, 20 oz is a ripoff. 12 pack cans are cheaper if you want to get more of the product, the high cost of 20 oz will stop many people from buying a lot.

Android
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
No 2-liters on either around here. And Safeway, the only big chain grocery in my town, won't carry any of those 3 products. I guess limited time ony is too limited for them to make space on the shelf. I was next door at Pamida though and they had plenty of the Throwbacks, I forgot to look and see if they had the Heritage Dr Pepper though.
-Andy

01GTB
01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Too bad 2 liter isn't there, at least Pepsi and Mountain Dew now have 2 liters, 20 oz is a ripoff. 12 pack cans are cheaper if you want to get more of the product, the high cost of 20 oz will stop many people from buying a lot.

That's what I'm saying. I'd pay $5 for a 12 pack of cans. But there ain't no way I'm paying you a buck and half for a single because you put it at the front of the store.

lj01
01-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Stater Bros although when I lived in SD, I never found any. But they are up in the LA and surrounding areas. They had all three. Pepsi, MD, DP going for 2 for $8.

Thanks for the tip - I tried the Stater Bros in San Diego but no luck. Any idea how far south the LA surrounding areas might be?

fusion
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
That's what I'm saying. I'd pay $5 for a 12 pack of cans. But there ain't no way I'm paying you a buck and half for a single because you put it at the front of the store.

But what if you don't like it? Then you just wasted $3.50.

01GTB
01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
LOL, I'm sure I will like it enough to finish it. I bought about $600 worth of WJ Dr Pepper before I ever tasted that :D I rarely drink HFCS sodas anymore. I actually don't even drink that much soda at all...about one per day. Even though I have been a Dr Pepper drinker forever, I haven't purchased any since Pepsi Throwback came out last spring.

I just have a real problem with paying the "I'm about the fall over from thirst," convenience store price, for a soda at the front of a supermarket.

BTW, I found 12-packs of cans at my local Target tonight for $3.66.

Hacksaw
01-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I saw Heritage Dr. Pepper this morning at Safeway here in San Jose. They also had a few Throwback 20 0z. Mt Dew's. Wow, it's much sweeter than I remember it being before.

Hacksaw
01-29-2010, 11:36 PM
I tried the Heritage Dr. Pepper. Not as good as the Dublin variety, but slight better than regular Dr. Pepper.

atrac
01-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Still haven't located this in the Los Angeles area (Pasadena, specifically). I've tried Ralph's, Albertsons, Vons, Target, and Wal-Mart.

Should I give up? Have they ignored us?

fusion
01-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Isn't Dr Pepper sold by Coke in your area? If so, you're not going to get Heritage. It's only for Pepsi bottlers.

mcmannors
02-27-2010, 07:07 PM
They now have Heritage Dr Pepper in 20 oz. bottles and 12 packs of cans in the Poconos area of Pennsylvania.

janstett
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
They now have Heritage Dr Pepper in 20 oz. bottles and 12 packs of cans in the Poconos area of Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the tip. I drove over the river to East Stroudsburg and found the last 3 boxes in Weis Market.

I'll update this post after I've had a properly chilled can. But I popped one open after dinner last night, and I have to say so far the Dublin Dr. Pepper is vastly superior.

The Heritage stuff is sweet but flat, there's no nuance to the flavor. When I drink a can of Dublin Dr. Pepper you can sense the myriad of tastes that make up the drink as it swashes over your tongue.

Of course it's possible this is a "stale" sample, and Throwback seems to have disappeared off the market so I'm skeptical about Heritage showing up this late in the game. I'll consider an update after I've had a chilled can and perhaps do a head-to-head against Dublin.

jericho
03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I was traveling from Branson, MO to Oklahoma yesterday and stopped in Joplin, MO. They have Heritage Dr. Pepper in the Food 4 Less right off the interstate.

esw01407
04-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I've been noticing Heritage Dr. Pepper in Target's around the NEPA area, they seem to keep the supply rather constant.