PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coke at Sam's?

UncleBob
01-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Why didn't anyone ever tell me this?

mmmmm...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/TheUncleBob/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0106002353.jpg

lordmadone
01-07-2010, 02:55 AM
seen those at a farm fresh...heard they werent really that great.

janstett
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I've tasted MexiCoke, and it's good. But sucrose Coke (Allentown PA, Cleveland OH, Buffalo NY) is better.

The MexiCoke is watered down and I suspect the water source isn't quite the best in the world.

The sucrose Coke is very flavorful and smooth in contrast.

fusion
01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Buffalo doesn't do sucrose. Just Bethlehem and Cleveland.

wonton
01-12-2010, 03:12 AM
They also carry it at Costco

michaelpeters
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Ho boy.

I'm a newbie to the whole real sugar thingy. I went to Rome on my honeymoon this past October, and fell in love with coke there and now I hunt for real sugar soda all over. The shop by my house has Mexican Coke for 1.49 a bottle. Plus I live 15 minutes outside detroit, which has a sizeable Latino population, so its all over there.

But I thought that Mexican Coke was the same as Rome Coke, ect. I thought it was either HFCS or Sugar. Black and white. So even when real sugar is used, there is a difference?

What does Mexico use different, that Bethlehem and the others listed above use?

Does it taste even better than Mexican coke, which I have all but replaced HFSC Coke with, in my life.

janstett
01-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Ho boy.

But I thought that Mexican Coke was the same as Rome Coke, ect. I thought it was either HFCS or Sugar. Black and white. So even when real sugar is used, there is a difference?

What does Mexico use different, that Bethlehem and the others listed above use?

Does it taste even better than Mexican coke, which I have all but replaced HFSC Coke with, in my life.

I've had both -- the Mexican Coke I had (ordered over the internet) tasted smooth, but kind of watered down.

The Allentown sucrose Coke is easy for me to get (a 45 minute drive every few months) and it definitely has a much more pronounced taste, bolder and smoother.

Unfortunately I peeled the ingredients label off my empty Mexican Coke bottle (pretty sure it said "sugar"), but for comparison here's the ingredient list from the Allentown sucrose Coke:

Carbonated Water
Sucrose
Caramel Color
Phosphoric Acid
Natural Flavors
Caffeine

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1714/sucrosecoke.jpg

Even if the ingredients are the same, there is still room for variation -- in the amount of each, or in the quality of each. And as we've learned from Pepsi, "real sugar" doesn't specify enough -- cane, beet, etc.

The Allentown public water supply which is used to make the Coke is supposed to be pretty good from what I hear; as for the Mexican Coke I don't have any reasons to say it but who knows how good the water supply is; I also suspect they have a more watered-down ratio of water to Allentown.

I'd be curious to hear more about Coke in other parts of the world...

By the way a lot of people here seem to work in the industry; I'm just a nerd/fanboy.

callmebob
01-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know the delivery area for the Bethlehem/Allentown distributor. I go to Atlantic City from Delaware from time to time and would like to pick up some of this Coke on my way. Do they deliver into Western Jersey or Eastern PA, close enough that I'm not going hours out of the way to get some?

janstett
01-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Industry insiders, how can we get Coke to do sucrose nationwide?

fusion
01-14-2010, 10:10 PM
bob,

Lehigh Valley Coca-Cola mainly services the Bethlehem/Allentown/Easton area, and jumps over the state line to service Phillipsburg NJ.

But... They also produce product for their sister facility, Coatesville Coca-Cola, who's territory is most of Chester County, PA. The trouble is, they produce HFCS sodas for Coatesville. But, you can sometimes get lucky, they'll ship some sucrose stuff down. I've had the best luck with 24 pack Coke, and 12 packs and 2 liters of cherry and cf coke, but it's usually random. Sometimes I'll hit a goldmine, and other times, come up completely empty. The last stash I found was at the Parkesburg (West Sadsbury) Wal-Mart Supercenter at the intersection of US 30 and PA 10. Most of the 24 packs of Coke were sucrose.

You could also try the stores along US 202 north of Chadds Ford. The actual Delaware County/Chester County line is Dilworthtown Road, so the Giant at the shopping center there, as well as the Acme further up, are serviced by Coatesville Coca-Cola.

Don't bother looking at the 6 packs and 8 packs of bottles, they don't produce them, they buy them from somewhere else. And the 24oz 6 packs come from their sister plant in Buffalo, which doesn't use sucrose.

They actually make it fairly easy for you to identify the HFCS 12 packs and 24 packs. Near the date code, there should be CRP. No idea what it means, though.

And it's only Coke and Coke flavors. All the other regular stuff (Fanta, Barq's, Dr Pepper, etc) are made with HFCS.

And to jan, the only way the bottlers would go back to sucrose would be if it was cheaper than HFCS. But due to the sugar tariffs, the price is kept artificially high. Not to mention the cost of converting the equipment to be able to handle sucrose.

janstett
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
And to jan, the only way the bottlers would go back to sucrose would be if it was cheaper than HFCS. But due to the sugar tariffs, the price is kept artificially high. Not to mention the cost of converting the equipment to be able to handle sucrose.

I'd be willing to pay a premium for it, or at least for them to do a "throwback" type special version.

Also I just want to note my sadness that the Allentown bottler stopped doing sucrose Vanilla Coke. In fact I haven't seen it at all on shelves in that area, every now and then I pick up the HFCS version elsewhere but the sucrose version was some of the tastiest stuff I've ever had. I miss it :(

fusion
01-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I haven't been up to check if they still have Vanilla in Chester County. I do remember sucrose Coke w/ Lime being very tasty as well.

The Cherry Coke is just amazing, though. For some reason, even better in 2 liters.