PDA

View Full Version : mello yello throwback?

wild2004fan
01-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Has anyone seen the new mello yello with natural sugar yet? I work in a grocery store in MN and the Coke merchandiser told me that it is already in the warehouse waiting for the old stuff to get used first. I can't wait until I can get the new mello yello.

imawalkingcorpse
01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Has anyone seen the new mello yello with natural sugar yet? I work in a grocery store in MN and the Coke merchandiser told me that it is already in the warehouse waiting for the old stuff to get used first. I can't wait until I can get the new mello yello.

I have not seen that yet. But I hope it makes it down here.

Themaster73
01-17-2010, 03:15 PM

If this is the Mello Yello that gets the relaunch Vault will take a bigger hit in sales. This may also get Mountain Dew to make Throwback permanent.

Themaster73
01-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Do you know if this is limited time or not?

wild2004fan
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I HOPE it is permanent, but I am not sure.

mofizz
01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
If they were to jump on the Throwback bandwagon, why do it with Mello Yello? Seems kinda odd, but maybe not when you are competing against Dew. Point of difference perhaps?

fusion
02-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Any update on this supposed Mello Yello with real sugar?

Vaudiophile
02-11-2010, 02:59 PM
It'd be nice to see a throwback around here (Flint, MI). We actually haven't had Mello Yello readily available at all here since 2005. Lately it has randomly sprung up here and there, during the past two months. Other than lately, over the past 5 years, the only place you could get it was in fountain drinks at Coney Island style restaurants. A friend and I had even went through the trouble of creating a google map of those rare locations at the time, which we have since updated with the recent spottings.

Mello Yello Locations (Greater Flint Area) - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106257574823360317031.00043a8173341db682254&z=12)

We've been obsessing over it, asking about it, and putting it on everybody's mind for years. If it reappears here long-term, especially if we can get this alleged throwback version here, I think we'll consider it a personal victory.

Let me know if any of you spot it in your areas.

wild2004fan
02-12-2010, 08:05 PM
no sorry to say I haven't seen it yet. The coke merchandiser that told me about it, says it shouldn't be too much longer until it is released. But je doesn't know for sure. He knows for SURE it has real sugar. I can't wait until it comes out.

Themaster73
02-13-2010, 02:35 AM
no sorry to say I haven't seen it yet. The coke merchandiser that told me about it, says it shouldn't be too much longer until it is released. But je doesn't know for sure. He knows for SURE it has real sugar. I can't wait until it comes out.

This could be Part of Coke's 'planning something big', along with Dr Pepper with sugar for Coke bottlers and possibly other sugar versions.

Salute To Soda :: View topic - Throwback type Dr Pepper in January (http://www.salutetosoda.com/viewtopic.php?t=2575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45&sid=e3d227f539803844c4447e22c302b16f)

I'm hearing the Coke Bottlers are plotting something similar. Can't tell you *what* yet, but they're planning something similar.

What I can say so far about Coke is something BIG is in the works. I'm told Coke does not want to be outdone, so take that as you will.

Mello Yello is also getting My Coke Rewards caps/flaps by the end of this month, so it is going to get some kind of a push, hopefully it won't end up like Pibb Xtra in which many people won't even be available in many areas

Themaster73
02-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Coke could really have an advantage with the real sugar market if they mimick Pepsi with the retro theme

Possibilities

Retro Coca Cola
Retro Sprite
Retro Dr Pepper (Coke bottlers' version of Heritage Dr Pepper)
Retro Fanta (possible if using all top selling brands that existed in the 1960s, 1970s)
Retro Mello Yello (if limited time) / Mello Yello [with sugar] (if permanent)

Pepsi would have to bring the Throwbacks and Heritage back if the above happens. Pepsi may even have to try a sugar sweetened version of Sierra Mist outside of Passover.

Sprite and Fanta have existed in the 1960s, giving Coke more beverage options to try real sugar (or sucrose). Plus with the many coupons out there for Coca Cola products, these things (especially the 20 oz bottles) can really disappear quick. Hopefully they will also put My Coke Rewards points on these as well...

Dewman1979
02-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Mello yello will be a welcomed return.

fusion
02-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Sadly, in respect to coupons, I find that often someone will take the entire pad, and resell them on Ebay. In the end, you may still get them all redeemed, but by one customer instead of 20-30.

On a brighter note, I think they are going to be willing to push Mello Yello into areas where it wasn't before, or was poorly represented. Especially with a national ad campaign behind it.

I still have to say, I am very skeptical of this Mello Yello with real sugar. Though I am prepared to eat my words (and wash them down with a cold Mello Yello) if I am wrong.

Swifty
02-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm skeptical of this, too. But if Coke were to release Mello Yello with sugar, I could see it positioned more as a premium energy drink rather than the "retro" positioning done by Pepsi.

(Personally, I wish Coca Cola could/would use "Classic" to describe their sugar products).

For what it's worth, I've seen Mello Yello in 12 packs here in Charleston, SC for at least 10 years now. I even remember the ill-fated Cherry and Melon incarnations.

I'm still amused at Coke's failure to take it out behind the barn and finish it off. Neither Surge nor Vault has been able to replace it. And I've always found it strange that Coke would position two similar products side by side.

skylark68
02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I wish we could even get Mello Yello here in Houston. Bummer that even if it is released I won't see it.

lordmadone
02-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Wouldnt be suprised with the success we have had with throwback if coke jumps on the bandwagon...just another tick mark on their side for copying us ;-).

janstett
03-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Coke could really have an advantage with the real sugar market if they mimick Pepsi with the retro theme

Possibilities

Retro Coca Cola
Retro Sprite
Retro Dr Pepper (Coke bottlers' version of Heritage Dr Pepper)
Retro Fanta (possible if using all top selling brands that existed in the 1960s, 1970s)
Retro Mello Yello (if limited time) / Mello Yello [with sugar] (if permanent)

Pepsi would have to bring the Throwbacks and Heritage back if the above happens. Pepsi may even have to try a sugar sweetened version of Sierra Mist outside of Passover.

Sprite and Fanta have existed in the 1960s, giving Coke more beverage options to try real sugar (or sucrose). Plus with the many coupons out there for Coca Cola products, these things (especially the 20 oz bottles) can really disappear quick. Hopefully they will also put My Coke Rewards points on these as well...

I've tried Sprite made with sugar, nothing spectacular.

I have access to the Allentown PA bottling area and get Coke and Cherry Coke made with sucrose there. For a while they made Vanilla Coke and that was quite tasty, shame they have discontinued it.

But I'd like to see Coke jump into the sugar fray, I've been amazed they have ignored the MexiCoke/KFP/Allentown-Cleveland/Throwback demand up until now.

janstett
03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Wouldnt be suprised with the success we have had with throwback if coke jumps on the bandwagon...just another tick mark on their side for copying us ;-).

Very happy to hear Throwback is successful. It flew off the shelves around here. Can we look forward to a permanent return?

lordmadone
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
That is uncertain..I have heard no word about it but a products success does definately determine its future so look forward to it but I have personal doubts about it being permanent.

Themaster73
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
That is uncertain..I have heard no word about it but a products success does definately determine its future so look forward to it but I have personal doubts about it being permanent.

They could just keep bringing it back every year, the cans can be stocked up. Pepsi could just make sure to alternate between Throwback and Passover Pepsi as long as something is out there. Also Pepsi Natural is permanent (at least for now) if you can find it.

janstett
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Also Pepsi Natural is permanent (at least for now) if you can find it.

I have never been able to find it -- and this is from someone who drove 90 minutes away to find 36 cans of Heritage Dr. Pepper :D