PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coke at Wal-Mart:

BottleBoss
01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Hello,
Much to my surprise this morning the Wallys-Mart in Frederick, Maryland (off route 26) had a shelf full of Mexican Coke in the Glass Bottles. I think they were the non returnable variety. But they looked good. I bought a few at $1.25 each. I didn't take a picture, but you all know what they look like. The thick glass type bottles.

Thank You,
BOTTLEBOSS

leisuredrummer
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Man, I always feel sorry for you guys up north. Here in TX, Mexican Coke is just about everywhere, Wal-Mart, convenience stores, etc.

Personally, I like Pepsi better than Coke but Coke with real sugar over Pepsi with real sugar anyday.

I hope that made sense...

fusion
01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Where he's at (also where I grew up), there are plenty of Hispanic grocery stores that sell Mexican Coke, along with a bevy of other central/south American beverages. But this is different - this is the official stuff that Coke is importing themselves and distributing through the bottlers.

I've seen the numbers for the East Coast. Sadly, outside of some parts of Florida, they just aren't selling a lot of them to stores. But to get it into a big chain like Wal-Mart is a win. I think it is only in two chain stores in eastern MD/PA - Weis and Redner's. Acme has it as well, but I'm not sure if all of it is coming from Coke or from specialty foods distributors.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to check tomorrow to see if it's in the system in the Wal-Mart I service.

Mr Zabe
01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
My local Jewel is selling cases of Mexican Coke (glass bottles).
I was pretty much amazed to see this.
I did not notice the price.

SplitLevelP
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
In Syracuse, NY Wegmans now carries mexicoke

wsanders
02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
All the Wegmans in upstate NY seem to have them now... Ithaca, Elmira, Binghamton, Syracuse (haven't been up to Rochester in a while but I assume it's there). Also started seeing them in Sam's Clubs around here as well. $19/case there, $26/case at Wegmans (though you can buy a single at $1.50).

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
So this is actual Mexican Coke with sugar or the secondary Coke production in 8oz bottles?

wsanders
02-25-2010, 04:17 AM
This is actual Mexican Coke in 12 oz bottles

drpep
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Tops Markets in New York are now authorized for Mexican Coke. Not sure if this covers all NY stores or just the ones in Buffalo Coke territory.

fusion
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
This is actual Mexican Coke in 12 oz bottles

But in 1-way bottles, produced specifically for export to the US.

mofizz
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Who is doing the importing of the Mexican Coke? Is it the local bottlers? Doesn't this cause a big transshipping problem for the bottlers if they are not the ones selling it? I've been seeing more and more imported Pepsi and Coke and think its a nice fit for the glass bottle enthusiasts, but am also concerned that it may cause problems between the concentrate company and the bottlers. What do you guys think?

fusion
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Officially I don't know if it's Coke or CCE that's doing the importing, but either way, it's with Coke's approval. Remember the old threads about finding Mexican Coke at Costco? This is the same stuff. It was also available in areas like Phoenix for sale off of CCE trucks before expanding to other parts of the country.

mofizz
03-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I would imagine the bottlers would have to ok it since they hold the exclusive bottling and distribution rights. As long as its coming off the red trucks I suppose there is no transshipping issues.

drpep
03-04-2010, 08:58 PM
The Mexican Coke was displayed at Coca-Cola's booth at a trade show.

BottleBoss
03-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I didn'nt see it anymore at the Wallys-Mart in Frederick on route 26. So perhaps it was a one time deal. They never did display it very well anyway. It was just scattered all over the season isle like it was a one time thing.