PDA

View Full Version : Bad, Bad News for Caffeine Free Ski Fans (& other Ski news)

Dumas Walker
01-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I spoke yesterday with someone at Double Cola HQ. I was inquiring to see if it was possible to order Caffeine Free Ski as it is not on the online order form. I received horrible, horrible news.

Caffeine Free Ski is in the process of being phased-out. :(

I hated to hear that. I love the original flavor, but the Caffeine Free seemed to taste a little better, at least out of a can. I can't really explain it, but it is a little "crisper," and I am not the only one I've heard say that. Plus, I can drink it later in the day and not have to worry about staying up all night long!

OTOH, if you are a fan of Diet Ski, and have always wanted a Caffeine Free version, then there is some good news. When Caffeine Free non-diet is phased out, they will introduce a new Caffeine Free Diet Ski to replace it. I am no fan of diet sodas, so this does absolutely nothing for me.

Finally, I might have misunderstood, but I think they are changing the name of Cherry Ski to Ski Infrared.

CitrusCola
01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
I'd certainly like to try the caffeine-free diet Ski when it comes out -- if I can find it anywhere. Have the people at Double Cola found any new distributors in new areas lately?

Dumas Walker
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd certainly like to try the caffeine-free diet Ski when it comes out -- if I can find it anywhere. Have the people at Double Cola found any new distributors in new areas lately?

Not that I know of.

One of the reasons that the current C/F might move so slow is that it doesn't seem like the distributors over much of their "central" coverage area (Kentucky) carry anything but the original. Diet is almost as rare as C/F, and Double Cola is even more rare. Cherry is absent entirely. Can't sell it if the Coke distributors don't stock it.

on edit: There is a post on one of the ski fan facebook sites (not the official one) from a guy who works for a distributor in SE Kentucky. He posted that they appear to be moving out of that area... that the dist'er he works for (local RC) moves Ski (and Orange Jumbo) pretty easily, but that Double Cola is pulling out of the area & they won't be able to get any more product once they run out of current stock.

Unless they are replacing that dist'er, sounds like they are doing the opposite of expanding.

jimsmith117
01-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Not that I know of.

One of the reasons that the current C/F might move so slow is that it doesn't seem like the distributors over much of their "central" coverage area (Kentucky) carry anything but the original. Diet is almost as rare as C/F, and Double Cola is even more rare. Cherry is absent entirely. Can't sell it if the Coke distributors don't stock it.

on edit: There is a post on one of the ski fan facebook sites (not the official one) from a guy who works for a distributor in SE Kentucky. He posted that they appear to be moving out of that area... that the dist'er he works for (local RC) moves Ski (and Orange Jumbo) pretty easily, but that Double Cola is pulling out of the area & they won't be able to get any more product once they run out of current stock.

Unless they are replacing that dist'er, sounds like they are doing the opposite of expanding.
Maybe Coke will be distributing DC products in this area? Could you post a link to the facebook site you got the info from?
I had been wondering about you.I hadn't seen any new postings from you anywhere. Thought maybe you weren't a Ski fan anymore! Just kidding!

BottleBoss
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
It's too bad that soda pop makers think they need to load up their drinks with caffeine anyway. Oh well.

Dumas Walker
02-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Maybe Coke will be distributing DC products in this area? Could you post a link to the facebook site you got the info from?
I had been wondering about you.I hadn't seen any new postings from you anywhere. Thought maybe you weren't a Ski fan anymore! Just kidding!

Possible. However, RC-Evansville (Tri-State) cans/bottles most of the Ski, so RC seems like a natural fit.

This is the fan group page:
SKI, a Southern Double Cola Beverage! | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65906477393)
and this should be the link to the discussion:
Ski supply getting low in Southeast Kentucky and Southwest, VA | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=65906477393&topic=13517)

I have been a little busy lately, and have not been any new places that have Ski, especially with it being winter. ;) Once we quit getting snow, I will start getting out more. Thanks for wondering!

BottleBoss,
I think it is a shame, too. I can't drink caf drinks after 2PM or so, unless I want to stay up all night, so it really limits what I can drink in the evenings. I can drink more, and therefore buy more, of a product that isn't loaded with it.

jacksmom
02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
It's too bad that soda pop makers think they need to load up their drinks with caffeine anyway. Oh well.

I agree about the caffeine. I'm also one who has to (sadly) limit my caffeine intake. I did special order some regular Ski Soda and Cherry Ski Soda, which I will allow myself one on the weekend. My frame's rather small, so a little caffeine goes a long way. Years ago (and this goes to show what a soda freak I am) when my hubbie and I were visiting Wisconsin (I think in 2002) we saw, for the first time, Caffeine Free Mountain Dew!!! I nearly cried I was so happy. We then proceeded to buy an extra duffel bag for the flight home, just so we could "smuggle" as much Caffeine Free Mountain Dew back as possible...only a few cans didn't survive. :)

Mr Zabe
02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes, Jacksmom, you are true soda pop freak. LOL