PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi for Passover - where?

Android
03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay, for years now I've thought about trying to travel somewhere at Passover time and stock up on some "real" Pepsi. And now that Throwback is out for a comparison I'm even more interested. I've not really done a "Pepsi Run" in 8 years now. (Although this won't be quite the same as travelling to Davenport IA and getting 12 cases of returnable 12oz bottles like I used to do)

The problem I have is that I'm in the middle of nowhere, east-central Wyoming. And I have no idea where would be a good place to travel where I'd be able to actually find some Passover Pepsi.

My question is, basically, where you recommend I travel to to achieve this, this year? It would be sometime in the March 13-16 timeframe when I'd do this, depending on the weather.

Thanks in advance...

-Andy

fusion
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
My best guess for you would be Denver. They have a very large Jewish population (100k+), which is concentrated in two neighborhoods, Hilltop and West Colfax.

Hilltop is west of Lowry Air Force Base. Boundaries are 6th Avenue (N), Colorado Blvd (W), and E Alameda Ave (S). West Colfax is near Invesco Field, Sloans Lake, and St. Anthony and Colorado Long Term Acute Hospitals. Border looks like W 17th Ave (N), N Sheridan Blvd (W), W 10th Ave (S), and N Federal Blvd (E).

Here are some useful grocery links:

East Side Kosher Deli (http://www.eastsidekosherdeli.com/) Has Pepsi on their KP beverage list.

Where to get Kosher Food in Denver (http://www.jewishcolorado.org/page.aspx?id=66119) Mentions a few King Soopers locations with Kosher items. Perhaps they stock KP Pepsi?

Android
03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Well, I have looked in Denver in the past but not with any kind of luck. Probably just didn't hit the right stores or neighborhoods. I didn't think the Denver Pepsi plant was able to even do sugar anymore, they don't produce their own Throwback so I'd guess they also import KP Pepsi, unless the 2L line is more flexible than the cans.

That's why I asked though, and I appreciate the answer. I was expecting to have to go much further away.

Last year I saw one King Soopers that had all of maybe 15 feet of shelf space for Kosher items, pretty pathetic, but that wasn't in Denver either.

-Andy

Android
03-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Follow-up:

I went down to Colorado over the weekend. To make a long story short, today I went into that deli/grocery that showed they had cans and 2L of KP Pepsi, but I didn't see any of it. And the place was packed (with customers) So I left and went down to the nearby King Soopers. In there, they DID have the KP Pepsi - and Diet Pepsi, right as you walk in the store, looked like a freshly erected display with a sign stating it was Pepsi for Passover. 4/5 bucks too!

It was odd for me to see so much Kosher/Passover items, a whole aisle on one side - while the other side of the aisle had only about 1/3 of its length for Easter stuff.

I just did a taste comparison between the KP and Throwback. Definately can tell a difference. The Passover stuff is much better.

Here's the stuff I got - where was this produced, I was expecting it to be imported and not show the normal DW bottler code, and I was right:

-Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/2010PepsiPassover2L.jpg

fusion
03-15-2010, 04:35 AM
That's how some of the stores in northern NJ were when I worked there, almost full aisles of Passover items.

And speaking of NJ, that's where that KP came from. That's quite a distance.

Mr Zabe
03-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Here is a list of the North Chicago Jewel stores that have KP sections.

Chicagoland Jewel-Osco: Kosher Marketplace (http://www.yourjewelosco.com/kosher/market.html)

Android
03-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Heck, I was thinking I'd have to go to Chicago or some other midwest city to find some KP Pepsi, I think I was fortunate to find it yesterday - I'm going to guess that since it was from so far away (NJ? wow!) they probably didn't import a whole lot of it.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Thank goodness I live in NY! I found it fast, but then a few stores didn't have it, but a 7-11 had it so it gave me hope that it will spread out a little better!
Now I'm off to find cans of it!

jerr2429
03-15-2010, 12:31 PM
i work for pbg now pbc since we were bought and there is tolk of closing the piscataway nj bottleing facility and getting everything from philly and aberdeen md so this may be the last year for kp pepsi because i think piscataway is the only one that makes it.

Android
03-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Guess it's a good thing I finally got around to trying to find it, if it's the end of the line for it.

mjb1124
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I can't imagine them discontinuing KP Pepsi altogether. They'll probably move it to a different plant.

drpep
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
If you look in a supermarket for this stuff remember to check near any Passover display the store may have, don't just check the soda aisle.

fusion
03-15-2010, 09:01 PM
i work for pbg now pbc since we were bought and there is tolk of closing the piscataway nj bottleing facility and getting everything from philly and aberdeen md so this may be the last year for kp pepsi because i think piscataway is the only one that makes it.

Can't be Aberdeen. No plant there, and it's not even in PBC territory. Baltimore, perhaps?

bigrich
03-16-2010, 12:11 AM
The Passover Pepsi I bought was from plant OG (Oshkosh, WI). It was blessed by the CRC (Chicago Rabitorial Council) The Lid is white with a Triangle with the letters CRC P-10 inside. The wrap on the bottle looks like the pic Andy posted same ingredients and the KP.

janstett
03-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Found some in the Livingston, NJ Shop Rite, mixed in randomly with the normal HFCS stock.