PDA

View Full Version : Passover coke & pepsi 2010

janstett
03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Looking forward to sampling KFP coke/pepsi this year and I am willing to go to Brooklyn or manhattan to get it. In the spirit of the 2009 thread, let's discuss here

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
So this stuff is distributed everywhere or just to certain areas? Well I can find it pretty easily around here.

bigrich
03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Went to the grocery tonight and they had a huge display of Passover Coke and Pepsi in 2L. We have not had CRC KP Pepsi around here for about 20 years, It is nice to have it again. The Pepsi tastes like the throwback should if they had not removed the Citric Acid.

Mr Zabe
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice find. I hope Chicago gets KP Pepsi. YUM

Themaster73
03-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Hopefully they will also make KP Caffeine Free Pepsi this year as well.

Themaster73
03-08-2010, 01:04 AM
There should also be KP Sierra Mist this year as well

bigrich
03-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Zabe, Chicago will have it as CRC = Chicago Rabitorical Council. The Pepsi was produced in Oshkosh, WI, and the Coke in Niles, IL.

janstett
03-08-2010, 07:06 AM
I went to the Shop Rite in Livingston NJ, big Jewish community there, hoping to find KFP Coke. No dice. Perhaps it was just too soon. I'll keep trying once a week, according to teh interwebz it's been there in past years.

Mr Zabe
03-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Zabe, Chicago will have it as CRC = Chicago Rabitorical Council. The Pepsi was produced in Oshkosh, WI, and the Coke in Niles, IL.
Very cool. Thanks for the info.

janstett
03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Woohoo! I scored some passover Coke with the yellow bottle cap in the Livingston NJ Shoprite yesterday. No Pepsi but I'll keep going back each week until Passover has, um, passed over.

I just cracked it open after letting it chill overnight and I'm comparing back-to-back with some of the Allentown sucrose Coke I just finished off.

The bottle labels are similar but slightly different -- the Allentown stuff has the recyling info in a different location and also has the mycokerewards.com panel on it. The ingredient list is the same (water, sucrose, caramel color, phoshporic acid, natural flavors, caffiene).

Trying to figure out what the bottler source is -- any way to tell? I'm tempted to dismiss the subtle label changes as a bottler variance.

Now the important part -- the taste. I am very surprised to say the KFP Coke has a very different taste from the Allentown sucrose stuff. The Allentown stuff is smoother, a lower-volume (less sweet?) taste; more of the base Coke syrup if you know what I mean. I'm struggling to describe the taste, but the KFP stuff has a taste that reminds me of a higher (sweeter?), kind of like the aftertaste you get after eating popcorn or even cracker jacks/caramel.

I'll let my palette clear and try again later, but my initial report is that KFP and Allentown sucrose Coke do have significantly different tastes.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say that the KFP stuff is not repurposed Allentown product. I wonder, if a normal HFCS line in NY is simply substituting sucrose in place of HFCS, if the amounts are equal, that may explain the taste difference, i.e. KFP has more sugar because it takes more HFCS to get the same sweetness.

INTERESTING DIFFERENCE: Actually reading the nutrition label, the KFP lists 30mg sodium and the Allentown lists 35mg. Everything else is the same. Anybody know what this means? Which ingredient is the source of sodium?

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I went to a more Jewish area here on LI (Plainview) and found tons of it. Looks like Pepsi was out selling Coke by ALOT (probably since it was 2 for $3).
Coke had it in the new bottles and it said that this was the "original recipe" and uses sucrose wording instead of sugar.

Themaster73
03-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Woohoo! I scored some passover Coke with the yellow bottle cap in the Livingston NJ Shoprite yesterday. No Pepsi but I'll keep going back each week until Passover has, um, passed over.

I just cracked it open after letting it chill overnight and I'm comparing back-to-back with some of the Allentown sucrose Coke I just finished off.

The bottle labels are similar but slightly different -- the Allentown stuff has the recyling info in a different location and also has the mycokerewards.com panel on it. The ingredient list is the same (water, sucrose, caramel color, phoshporic acid, natural flavors, caffiene).

Trying to figure out what the bottler source is -- any way to tell? I'm tempted to dismiss the subtle label changes as a bottler variance.

Now the important part -- the taste. I am very surprised to say the KFP Coke has a very different taste from the Allentown sucrose stuff. The Allentown stuff is smoother, a lower-volume (less sweet?) taste; more of the base Coke syrup if you know what I mean. I'm struggling to describe the taste, but the KFP stuff has a taste that reminds me of a higher (sweeter?), kind of like the aftertaste you get after eating popcorn or even cracker jacks/caramel.

I'll let my palette clear and try again later, but my initial report is that KFP and Allentown sucrose Coke do have significantly different tastes.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say that the KFP stuff is not repurposed Allentown product. I wonder, if a normal HFCS line in NY is simply substituting sucrose in place of HFCS, if the amounts are equal, that may explain the taste difference, i.e. KFP has more sugar because it takes more HFCS to get the same sweetness.

INTERESTING DIFFERENCE: Actually reading the nutrition label, the KFP lists 30mg sodium and the Allentown lists 35mg. Everything else is the same. Anybody know what this means? Which ingredient is the source of sodium?

KFP Coke likely uses different "Natural Flavors", which could be another reason for the taste differences. The type of sugar and balance of it (cane/beet) could also be different as well.

rv65
03-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Where can I get some in San Diego, CA.

mjb1124
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM

I was talking about how the Passover Coke I got this year tasted off, and your description is a pretty good one. I've also had the sucrose Coke from the Allentown/Bethlehem area and that was definitely a different (and better) taste. But I've had Passover Coke before and don't remember such a striking difference in the past. I have a suspicion that they may have switched to beet sugar, though your explanation of possibly using more sugar also makes sense.

lordmadone
03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Was announced in our sales meeting that we had kosher pepsi in! Kind of excited to try it out myself..took some shelf talker for it and it says it is produced in Boston. Sold a shelf in on this passover display at one of my stores. Limited supply of it I was told..very limited..like 150 cases of it or so. Since being with Pepsi I have never seen or tried it..I have seen and tried the Kosher Coke but its been a while and I dont think I liked it..then again I was never much of a Coke drinker ;-).

NoVA Alex
03-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I've had some luck finding one or the other around here. Didn't realize Passover was coming up so quickly, so i'd better start looking. Will be even happier if I can find it on sale. :)

The Coke bottler up the street has put out KP Coke before, it's just a matter of finding it.

fusion
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Kosher Coke was a lot easier to find when Alexandria bottled, but now it's just a distribution/sales center. The Kosher stuff comes down from Elmsford, NY now.

janstett
03-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Woohoo Redux!

This week I returned to the Livingston Shop Rite and found not just more KFP Coke, but also KFP Pepsi. Both had been integrated with the regular stock. In the Pepsi's case, it was shuffled in a somewhat random distribution amongst the HFCS stuff but you can tell it by the white bottle caps (and the label lists sugar only, no hfcs).

It tastes like a subtler, more mellow version of the modern HFCS Pepsi (which I guess makes sense). Very, very different from the current Throwback but pretty close to the old Throwback (of course as my stash ages the taste changes so it could just be deteriorating).

Ingredient-wise, this has the citric acid but Throwback does not.

In a way I am sad, because I think now other than Mexican Pepsi, I've tasted everything I wanted to taste. :D

Coke was 3 for $4, Pepsi $1.50 per 2l. Also saw my first 2L bottle of throwback.

EDIT: I still haven't tasted Pepsi Natural, I guess my work is not done ;)

taestell
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM
KfP Coke can now be found in the Cincinnati area at the Blue Ash Kroger.

mjb13
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM
This week I returned to the Livingston Shop Rite and found not just more KFP Coke, but also KFP Pepsi. Both had been integrated with the regular stock. In the Pepsi's case, it was shuffled in a somewhat random distribution amongst the HFCS stuff but you can tell it by the white bottle caps (and the label lists sugar only, no hfcs).
;)

I found the same situation at the Waldbaum's in West Hartford, Connecticut. Despite having a large section devoted to Passover products (this supermarket is in a heavily Jewish area), all the KFP Coke and KFP Pepsi was mixed in with the regular 2L stock in the soda aisle.

The Coke comes from from KE (Elmsford, NY) and the Pepsi was bottled at PY (Piscataway, NJ).

I haven't tried either one yet...

mcormany
03-18-2010, 04:34 PM
KFP Coke is available in Knoxville, TN at Kroger in Bearden. No KFP Pepsi though. :(

The King
03-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Grabbed six 2-Liters of KFP Coke at Ralphs in Orange, CA. Ralphs has a deal this week locally where if you buy 8 specially tagged items you get $4 off. Coke 2-Liters are among the items, so my bottles were 79 cents each.

It's always nice when you can find this stuff at a great price.

Mr Zabe
03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Finally!
I got me (bad English LOL) some KP Pepsi.
I picked some up at Garden Fresh Foods located in
Northbrook Il. The 2 ltr bottles were priced at
2 for $3. I can't wait till I get a bottle to chill down.

Mr Zabe
03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
WOW!!!!!!
Pepsi KP is awesome.
I just enjoyed a 1/3 of a 2 ltr.
What a joy. YUM
The mouth burn was perfect.

Please, Pepsi give us Pepsi KP year round.
I would gladly pay $2 for a 2ltr.

mcmannors
03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Looking forward to sampling KFP coke/pepsi this year and I am willing to go to Brooklyn or manhattan to get it. In the spirit of the 2009 thread, let's discuss here
Janstett, you don't have to travel all the way to Brooklyn. I saw Kosher For Passover Coke today at the Wegmans on Route 202 in Bridgewater, N.J.

janstett
03-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Janstett, you don't have to travel all the way to Brooklyn. I saw Kosher For Passover Coke today at the Wegmans on Route 202 in Bridgewater, N.J.

Yeah, I later found it (and KFP Pepsi) in Livingston too. Maybe I'll give Wegmans a try too.

Lastdaysofrain
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
I've never been able to find KP Pepsi in the Boston area. Had no luck this weekend either, although I did find some KP Coke.

mthaynes
03-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I found KFP Coke last year at the Publix in Summerville. I asked the manager if they were getting any this year, and he said that if they had it last year, they will have it this year, but it hasn't materialized. Anyone been able to find it anywhere else in Charleston? Thanks.

rv65
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I went to the local grocery store and found KFP coke but not KFP pepsi. I bought 4 2L KFP coke's and I haven't dranken it yet. I also have a case of Mexican coke as well. It was also on sale in my area.

rv65
03-22-2010, 07:25 PM
It was pretty easy to find KFP coke as the yellow cap made it easy to spot. It was also mixed in with the HFCS coke.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
My area has alot more KP Pepsi, no CFKP Pepsi, and little to no KP Coke.

Themaster73
03-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Pepsi Throwback has 25mg of sodium while KFP Caffeine Free Pepsi has 20mg of sodium.
Real sugar sodas seem to have more sodium than HFCS versions (or KFP sugar versions) at least for Coke and Pepsi.

Mr Zabe
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm one happy camper!
I was just given another 4 bottles of Pepsi KP.
Pure joy. :)

Dude111
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I just got some COKE KP tonight :)

I couldnt find PEPSI KP .. Where do they sell it?

I cannot believe the DIET COKE version has aspertame in it! (I wouldnt think aspertame is kosher @ all!!)

EDIT:

Totally disgusting!!

NO CARBONATION,TASTES LIKE CRAP!!!!

I dont know how anyone can stand this!!

Now my quest is to find some Pepsi KP!

Themaster73
03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
No sight of Passover Sprite or Passover Sierra Mist yet.

I have seen Passover Diet Sierra Mist though.

rv65
03-25-2010, 02:32 AM
I just got some COKE KP tonight :)

I couldnt find PEPSI KP .. Where do they sell it?

I cannot believe the DIET COKE version has aspertame in it! (I wouldnt think aspertame is kosher @ all!!)

EDIT:

Totally disgusting!!

NO CARBONATION,TASTES LIKE CRAP!!!!

I dont know how anyone can stand this!!

Now my quest is to find some Pepsi KP!

Mine is pretty well carbonated. You must have gotten a bad batch. The foam is what makes it taste terrible. Actually KP Coke has beet sugar as it tastes differently than Mexican coke which uses cane sugar. Look for the white cap in KP pepsi.

janstett
03-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Mine is pretty well carbonated. You must have gotten a bad batch. The foam is what makes it taste terrible. Actually KP Coke has beet sugar as it tastes differently than Mexican coke which uses cane sugar. Look for the white cap in KP pepsi.

I guess that explains the strange aftertaste bite (people who've had it before now say this year's batch is different). It's an odd phenomenon different from MexiCoke and Allentown.

Dude111
03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Look for the white cap in KP pepsi.Thank you buddy,its nice to see you here also :)

It had FOAM in it but didnt feel like there was any carbination!! (And it tasted totally disgusting! (WORSE THEN PEPSI THROWBACK 2010))

fusion
03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
No Kosher Sprite this year.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
But there is Kosher Sierra Mist?

Themaster73
03-25-2010, 09:02 PM
No Kosher Sprite this year.

I guess Coke really wants Sierra Mist to catch up in sales for a while. KP Sierra Mist should show up soon here since the Diet is already here in some places.
Coke now seems to have Sprite on sale in some form every week in some parts on NYC, too bad there is no reason to buy it this year.

Wally1912
03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
I just got back to Boston from my vacation to Clearwater, Florida. I was surprised to see Passover Coca-Cola at a Target in Florida so I picked up a couple of 2-liters while I was there. The plant code on the bottles was HW, which was new to me. Looking that up, it looks to be CCE's Hollywood, FL bottling facility. In the past I had only seen Kosher Coke from plant KE, Elmsford, New York.

fusion
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Alexandria VA (AX) was a large producer of Kosher Coke before the bottling lines were shut down a few years ago. It's possible that Hollywood has been producing Kosher all this time as well, but their reach wasn't as far because it didn't need to be. I'm sure there is a sizable population of Jewish people in Florida to justify the production, rather than shipping everything down from New York.

rv65
03-26-2010, 11:44 PM
My KFP coke came from plant code LA. Normally HFCS coke in my area is produced in plant code SD.

rv65
03-27-2010, 04:59 AM
The code said LLA or something like that. I don't think it's made in Lousiana but who knows. I think they truck down from Los Angeles.

Dewman1979
03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
have yet to see any of this stuff near by.

janstett
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Shock of shocks, I found some KFP Pepsi (mixed with HFCS) at my local Shop Rite (Chester, NJ on 206). I Wonder if the bottler went all KFP for a few weeks.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Shock of shocks, I found some KFP Pepsi (mixed with HFCS) at my local Shop Rite (Chester, NJ on 206). I Wonder if the bottler went all KFP for a few weeks.

That sounds like normal Pepsi, and no matter how little HFCS there is in it, it still can't be Kosher. Could they have just kept the usual lable instead of the specially used one?

Mr Zabe
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Shock of shocks, I found some KFP Pepsi (mixed with HFCS) at my local Shop Rite (Chester, NJ on 206). I Wonder if the bottler went all KFP for a few weeks. I believe he means that Pepsi KP 2 ltr's are mixed with the regular Pepsi 2 ltr bottles, which is a relatively normal occurrence. This is due to stock rotation. Did you check the production codes? Fusion can help you figure out which bottler produced it. Also check the use by codes.

jones2289
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Has anyone seen this in Indiana? I've been looking in Indianapolis and can't find it.

janstett
03-31-2010, 07:29 AM
That sounds like normal Pepsi, and no matter how little HFCS there is in it, it still can't be Kosher. Could they have just kept the usual lable instead of the specially used one?

It's the same visual markers as the stuff I got in Livingston. Label says sugar and a white bottlecap with kp on it. Mixed in with blue-capped HFCs

bigrich
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
"Has anyone seen this in Indiana? I've been looking in Indianapolis and can't find it. "

Marsh Supermarkets, 86th. & Ditch Road.

Mr Zabe
04-18-2010, 03:02 PM
All good things slurp to the end. LOL
I found six bottles of Pepsi KP this morning.
YUM and SAD :)

rv65
04-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Mine was made in plant LL though it could have been made in plant LA. I think LL is somewhere in LA and not San Diego as 2L bottles are made from plant SD.

BuckNaked2k
04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I just found a bunch of white cap Pepsi at a Stop & Shop here in Connecticut. This is the first time I have seen this.

I am familiar with Kosher Coke, which is easy to identify on account of the Hebrew characters on a yellow cap, but the Pepsi just had "KP" on the cap, so I wasn't sure until I checked here.

I was in shock, as the Kosher Coke usually disappears a week or two before Passover. To find this stuff so late in the season is truly manna from heaven!

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
04-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Still finding alot of it, just being mixed in with fresher HFCS bottles.

Themaster73
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
The only KP non diet soda I see near me in 2 liter bottles is Dr Brown's Cream Soda and Caffeine Free Pepsi.

Canada Dry and Dr Brown's Cream soda appear in expensive 6 pack 12 oz cans.

They must have put out less KP soda this year (unless more will show up later) because one place last year had 8-10 KP Cokes on the shelf in May.

01GTB
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
I didn't have much luck finding them last year, and this year looked even worse. Then two weeks ago my mom found a two Passover Cokes at a local Publix. Then two more the next time she went. I had searched other Publix stores closer to me, but had not found any. I hit up her store last week and found ten! Then found ten more at another Publix. All mixed in with the general population.

fusion
04-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Post-Passover, the warehouses just send out whatever KP stuff they have left in stock to any store, just to clear it out (we're still getting KP Diet). Also, stores will take down their Kosher displays, so whatever KP sodas are left there get moved into the aisle.

Themaster73
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Pre Passover the Pepsi bottler was just sending out mostly KP diets and some KP CF Pepsi in 2 liter bottles. KP Pepsi only showed up in 6 pack cans. Had to get KP Coke somewhere else.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
04-21-2010, 01:36 PM
I just realized something: I don't think I ever saw KP CFP.