PDA

View Full Version : Vault

cokeman19
03-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I think Vault is out. I heard today that it's we are switching to Mello Yello. We are currently out of stock for 20 oz vault in the warehouse. I'm in the New England region. I'm not sure if this is a national thing.

Mello Yello will arrive in our facility 4-5-10 i believe. This is the first time i will be delivering it and i've worked for coke for 10 years. So if you are in the Boston area and like the drink you will start seeing it around everywhere.

fusion
03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
No, Vault will remain in the Mid-Atlantic and South, not sure about the rest of the country. But in Maryland we're only keeping 20oz.

Misticdude
03-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Whew...Vault is the only thing that keeps me going when I have to work in receiving (up at 3am) or hanging tags Tuesday nights (sometimes 8pm-6am). I already have to drive 100 miles to get it since my dumb butt moved to an area where it's not sold.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Strange how I've only found Vault in one store around here. Today they had the camo cans which is kinda strange since there aren't any real national holidays around here...

greg
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
This is so confusing.....Just a 2-3 years ago there was a lot of people on this board saying that VAULT was the next big ED/Soda Hybrid and was going to be changing the way the Beverage Aisle is set. Mt Dew was finally going to meet its match! RB was getting a run for its money!
What happened!?
LOL

lordmadone
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Greg it couldn't possibly be all that "hype" could it? nahhhh ....haha..obviously some people overlook the track record of companies in that regard. Why Pepsi made MDX mountain dew though to help "combat" vault was funny though..

Tannerman
03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Some fun memories of those discussions:

Exactly. Coke still has yet to can their Red flavor, nor have they tried to do limited time flavors like their competitor does. It's only a matter of time until they go back to Mellow Yellow....again.

VAULT Zero hasn't been doing as well as other VAULT brands but Coke is still very dedicated to doing what they can to make the brand last.

VAULT isn't scared, tell's Mountain Dew to bring it on!....

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/250757987461.jpg

after it's initial push a year ago, i hardly ever see it anymore.

granted, i live in NYC where shelf space is limited, so i don't see a lot of things most of you probably see.

what's the word on vault? is it still selling or has it flopped? does coke even advertise for it anymore?

Ughh..

No, VAULT hasn't flopped and nor will it flop. It's a great product and personally here in GA - I think it sells very well. Also, no, it doesn't have the same exposure that Mountain Dew has, it's been around for ages - but VAULT is a very young products, it's only 3 years old and it continues to get older and I have faith that it will not follow the path of other products like Coke Blak, etc.

Back in July 2006, just a year after it came out here in market testing, it was huge - it was growing more and more each day. Fact (about our market from July 2006):

* VAULT is the 7th highest volume SKU in any Coca-Cola product packaging (including 20oz, 2-liters, 6-packs, 12-packs, 18-packs, etc.)
* VAULT is the 4th highest volume SKU of any 20oz Coca-Cola product packaging.
* Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated of Columbus, GA has sold over 61,000+ cases of 20oz (1,464,000 packages) since inception (late last year).
* Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated of Columbus, GA sells over 5,000+ cases (120,000 packages) each month, with a steady growth rate.

CCBCC does this by not only introducing a product but standing behind the product like other bottlers might not. If you live somewhere that doesn't have an increased amount of VAULT, well - you either (a) live in a strong MD market (b) your bottler doesn't care to promote it, all they care about is getting the product out there and leaving.

I can say personally that CCBCC stands behind VAULT 100% and will never leave post, they have VAULT ads on the back of every side-loader truck, they run billboard ads every single month, they have a fleet of CXT trucks owned and operated by them that travel to each state every week and promote their products, they run 99 cent promotions in all markets almost every month (if not lower), they have VAULT vending machines all over town, they produce promotional packaging such as 24oz bottles, 16oz cans, 18pk cans, etc, and look.. it's a success because they believe in it.

Of course, some of you will have the natural reply "Yeah, well - it's just selling well in your neighborhood" but I'm not talking about my neighborhood, CCBCC in all their territories are selling VAULT like crazy. In the long run, we'll see how this plays out.

--amyers

as someone else pointed out, coke often gives new products a big push in the beginning and then soon abandons them.

coke zero is the one recent exception... and they just got lucky on that one... because it tastes so good and it spread by good word-of-mouth.

if coke really wants to take on mt dew, they're going to have to commit for years and years. so far, they don't seem that interested in doing that. when's the last time you saw a vault commercial?

Mr Zabe
03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
LOL The song with this phrase comes to mind:
" I've got high hope,like apple pie falling from the sky" ???? LOL

Coca Cola tried to jam Vault in the ED category,which was the kiss of death.
Both the soda pop drinkers (impulse) and the ED drinkers (impulse)
were not wanting a soda pop that was also a quasi ED. IMO Vault
should have been marketed as a soda pop only.

Misticdude
03-13-2010, 10:21 PM
24 Pepsi....
The camo cans were only for a limited time. On the bottom of the boxes there was a postcard that you could cut out mail to the troops with your message thanking them for their service. I think this was the 2nd year they've done that.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Yeah I thought that it was only around holidays such as Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. but to see them now intregued me. I still also wonder why tht one store has sodas that no other stores I've been to around here sell.

amyers
03-14-2010, 03:48 PM
We're still running VAULT/VAULT Red Blitz 16oz here in Columbus (CCBCC) and 12pk. That's not going to change, they're actually taking Mello Yello into some grocery stores but beyond that, nothing more that I know of, other than advertising and trying to build the "old" fan base back.

Atlanta (CCE) still has VAULT, Red Blitz, Zero in 20oz and 12pk and 2L... Seems to be doing just fine, that all may change in April, I'm not sure.. but mostly all CCE areas in GA/AL that I've been to all are keeping it in all forms.

drpep
03-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I just saw a store with camo can 12 packs. Can't remember where but it was last week.

24 Pepsi Max Flame Fan
03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
So finding the camo packs is sorta rare?

cokeman19
03-15-2010, 11:47 PM
I work in vending and my supervisor said "no vault, it's all mello yello out there now." Maybe he just meant for our use in vending machines.

It will be interesting to see if i need to make room on my truck for more than just a few cases. When CZ started most drivers only carried 2 or 3 cases. Now we all carry at least 12 or more cases a day of CZ.

I HOPE we see a big ad blitz for the relaunch with a sustained effort for the long term. It boggles my mind that Coke can't compete with Dew. They should at least try to make a dent in the Dew dominance.

fusion
03-16-2010, 06:37 AM
I don't see why this always has to devolve into an "US vs. THEM" debate.

Who cares if MY makes a dent in Dew numbers? They're not even going after the same demographics. Totally different advertising, totally different packaging.

Dew drinkers are the most loyal and hardcore soda drinkers out there. People will buy it no matter the price. I think if you go out there with the mentality of "let's go after Dew," you're going to lose. I remember that was the angle with Surge, and look where it got it. Nowhere.

Personally, I'm just glad MY is coming back to areas it left five years ago, or is entering areas where it never was. Now, if they'd only bottle/can Fanta Birch Beer...

cokeman19
03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
I believe MY is coke's version of dew isn't it?

Even if the advertising is different coke is still trying to get a bigger share of that market. i don;t think you have to own a skateboard to like Dew.

jacksmom
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I actually love the taste of Vault but, to be honest, I don't buy it because it has a bit too much caffeine in it for my liking. I think it would have done better if they hadn't made it an "in between" soda/energy drink.

Dewman1979
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Glad it's going away. Mello Yello is the better product.

fusion
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I believe MY is coke's version of dew isn't it?

Why does it have to be a version? Personally, I think they taste nothing like each other. Maybe it's Coke's version of Sundrop? lol. Now that's a drink I'd like to see come up north.

Supra TT
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I second that^^^^. By far the best citrus soda out there, hands down. IMO

greg
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Why does it have to be a version? Personally, I think they taste nothing like each other. Maybe it's Coke's version of Sundrop? lol. Now that's a drink I'd like to see come up north.

Fusion,
It is the beverage business....It is always US vs THEM. Coke vs Pepsi, Diet Pepsi vs Diet Coke, Dr Pepper vs Mr Pibb, Mtn Dew vs, Mello Yello/Surge/Vault, Sprite vs Sierra Mist, Aquafina vs Dasani, Fanta Orange vs Sunkist, etc.
Its all about market share.
Just because they dont taste like one another doesnt mean they dont compete. They both are in the the same segment when it comes to the category.

cokeman19
03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Anybody know the caffeine content of my vs. dew?

jacksmom
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I think they're virtually the same, at least according to Energy Fiend.

cokeman19
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM
thanks

i looked it up and got 55 mg for a 12 oz can of dew and 53 mg for mello yello.

i am sort of surprised. i thought m.y. was like coke at around 35 a can.