PDA

View Full Version : Arizona #1

drinkit
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Doesn't Coke need Arizona in their portfolio to compete with Pepsi (Lipton) in RTD tea? Seems like Coke's only real option.

Gil Solnin
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Arizona would be a good addition to Coca-Cola's portfolio. The question is are the original partners willing to sell?

drinkit
03-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm sure they'd get a pretty penny for it.

DrPepperYummy
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure you would see arizona sell to coke... from what I understand the one partner wanted to sell his share of arizona stock, but the other sued him for doing so because the only person they were allowed to sell their shares to were eachother... basically a keep it in the family arrangement... so the partners are stuck with eachother and will either tear eachother apart or one will finally sell out to the other...

assuming one guy gets control, I don't see him ever selling to coke... the warehouse distribution is just amazing for them and they continue every year to grow that business I think better than coke could possibly do it for them... I think coke taking it over would surely make lipton the #1 tea after a couple years... much like we now see vitaminwater falling on its face and lifewater rising to the top very quickly...

arizona is just a total cash cow through the warehouse distribution system with chain stores... I'm not sure coke has enough billions to make that one worth it... unless the two partners feud with eachother so much they want nothing to do with eachother and won't sell eachother their shares and self-destruct the company from the inside out... but with how much cash arizona sends to them, I think they'll learn to like eachother...

I see the cans from one vendor in an account where the jugs are brought in through the warehouse... and another bottler carries the glass bottles in that same account... it's just amazing how willing they are to let people get their product into accounts they already reach through warehouses...

jerr2429
03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
im my area canada dry brings the tall cans in except for stop and shop where the cans come from there warehouse c&s wholesale.

drinkit
03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
But didn't one of the partners sell a piece to Patriarch? That would mean he wants out. It just seems to me that Arizona could be even bigger with some help.

DrPepperYummy
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
But didn't one of the partners sell a piece to Patriarch? That would mean he wants out. It just seems to me that Arizona could be even bigger with some help.

One earlier posting had it right... they should be developing the canada dry tea line... it has been an absolute phenom but I spose it is a drpepper snapple group product so maybe they aren't in such a rush to develop someone elses brand... I just can't see them making any headway with their tea so I guess all they could do is shop for exsisting if they wanted a strong inhouse brand..

My only question would be... will they continue the trend of buying products, and they slowly get put on the backburner after a yeah of frenzy... and slowly lose value and eventually distribution... I see them do this to so many 3rd party products and some of their own over the decades, I just am boggled how much they spend then give up...

coke zero is really the only product i've seen them come out with that has gained and continued to gain over time... everything else seems to get beat with a stick and end up in the dumps...

drinkit
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
i just came across the article from last year about the sale of Arizona being "thrown out". That guy who posted a response to bevnet's article sure had some choice words for the brass there. Wow.

fusion
03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Canada Dry tea? This must be something new and/or regional, because I can't say I've heard of it.

Arizona's not going to sell until all parties agree with it. Which probably won't happen for a while.

I do know that CCE is the primary Arizona distributor in Canada, and here in the US, in non-Glaceau markets, we carry 34oz bottles. We just have Lemon, Sweet, and Green, but other markets also have Arnold Palmer half tea/half lemonade and half tea/half mango.

Arizona's big money maker is the 99 cans. To combat that, Coke and Hansen's put out Peace Tea, and it's exceeding all expectations. Sure, it may not have the Arizona name, or all the flavors Arizona makes (although most of the sales are from their top four flavors). It's also made with sugar, so it's got a much cleaner taste. I just wish they'd do a sweet tea.

DrPepperYummy
03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Canada Dry tea? This must be something new and/or regional, because I can't say I've heard of it.

Arizona's not going to sell until all parties agree with it. Which probably won't happen for a while.

I do know that CCE is the primary Arizona distributor in Canada, and here in the US, in non-Glaceau markets, we carry 34oz bottles. We just have Lemon, Sweet, and Green, but other markets also have Arnold Palmer half tea/half lemonade and half tea/half mango.

Arizona's big money maker is the 99 cans. To combat that, Coke and Hansen's put out Peace Tea, and it's exceeding all expectations. Sure, it may not have the Arizona name, or all the flavors Arizona makes (although most of the sales are from their top four flavors). It's also made with sugar, so it's got a much cleaner taste. I just wish they'd do a sweet tea.

Canada Dry Sparkling Green Tea Ginger Ale... thats a mouth full...

fusion
03-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Oh, ok.

I still don't totally understand what you are saying. Are you saying that Coke should develop CD GTGA, or Arizona should? Shouldn't developing the brand be DPS' responsibility?

If you're talking about Coke, I think they take good care of CD where they have it. I'm not quite sure if the GTGA has reached a level of success that it should be in packaging beyond 12pk/20oz/2L, but I suppose they could try some line extensions? I remember there was a Canada Dry lemon ginger ale around here about 10 years ago - they could try a lemon green tea ale.

I think when people think of Ginger Ale, Canada Dry is probably the #1 brand that comes to mind. I like it the best out of the three mainstream brands, myself.

Northern Neck Coca-Cola in Montross Virginia once owned Northern Neck Ginger Ale and Carver's Ginger Ale, but they sold them to the Coca-Cola company. I think Carver's is now out of production - it was an excellent ginger ale made with real ginger and real sugar, and came in 12oz glass bottles. I'd say that's probably my favorite. And NNGA isn't too bad, either. Too bad it's limited mainly to eastern Virginia.