PDA

View Full Version : West Jefferson, NC Road Trip

UncleBob
04-25-2010, 01:57 AM
So, I've recently read some of the information regarding the Dr. Pepper bottler in North Carolina that uses real cane sugar in their bottling. The fact they also bottle Mountain Dew with real sugar is a huge bonus.

I'm seriously considering a two-day trip there (it's about an eight-hour drive). I'll want to call ahead before I go, but I figure there's some folks here who might have more experience with this kind of thing...

I've read that they have a store front where you can directly purchase soda - anyone know what kind of pricing I'm looking at (after spending $100 in gas, of course!)... Are there any kind of limits on purchases - I'm not looking at buying 100 cases of Dr. Pepper or anything that crazy though.

What am I looking at for store hours? Can I go on a weekend?

Anything else I should know/consider? I'm super excited about the idea of doing this - A&W with real sugar sounds awesome and I've never actually seen Cheerwine for sale, so I'd love to try it. Do they give free samples? :)

yeahuno
04-25-2010, 02:22 AM
I just came back from Myrtle Beach, SC for 7 days, they have Strawberry Fanta, and Pineapple Fanta. I thought that they discontinue them. I tried Cheerwine, it's pretty good for the first time I tried it.

jimsmith117
04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
My last trip was in December,at that time the price per case was $16.97 after adding on the tax.Here is the long neck drink list they gave me.
Dr Pepper
Mtn Dew
RC Cola
7-Up
Cheerwine
A & W Rootbeer
Big Red Soda
Nugrape Soda
Sunkist Orange
Orange Crush
Welch's Grape
Nehi Orange
Nehi Peach
Nehi Grape
Red Rock Gingerale
Red Rock Cola

CitrusCola
04-25-2010, 10:31 AM
I've been there a few times. It's not really a store; you just go into an area next to the warehouse entrance. I don't think they're open on weekends.

Don't assume that they will have everything on that list. You're limited to what they have on hand. The last time I was there, for example, I wanted to get some 7 Up for the kids, but they didn't have any available. If you call them a day or so ahead of time, you can probably get a good idea of what will be available when you get there.

They don't give free samples, but they do have a drink machine from which you can buy individual bottles of their products.

UncleBob
04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
My last trip was in December,at that time the price per case was $16.97 after adding on the tax.

This is going to sound like a really dumb question - but what is a "case"? I assume 24 12 oz bottles...

Don't assume that they will have everything on that list. You're limited to what they have on hand. The last time I was there, for example, I wanted to get some 7 Up for the kids, but they didn't have any available. If you call them a day or so ahead of time, you can probably get a good idea of what will be available when you get there.

If I go and, say, want Mountain Dew - and they don't have any on hand - should some of the neighboring supermarkets/Walmart stores likely have what I want on the shelves?

Thanks for the info, guys. :)

jimsmith117
04-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes there are 24 bottles per case.I usually call before I go with specific questions as it is a very long trip for me too.Good luck.

CitrusCola
04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
You can find the drinks in the stores around the area, but the price is usually much higher. Every time I've ever been there, however, they have had the big-sellers (Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, and Cheerwine) on hand. It's drinks like 7 Up, RC Cola, Red Rock Cola, and Big Red that are not always available.

Speaking of WJ products, I found a glass-bottled Vernor's Ginger Ale today that was bottled in West Jefferson. That must be new for them.

Supra TT
04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I just came back from Myrtle Beach, SC for 7 days, they have Strawberry Fanta, and Pineapple Fanta. I thought that they discontinue them. I tried Cheerwine, it's pretty good for the first time I tried it.

Where about in MB? Did you happen to get your hands on Sundrop or Fanta Peach?? Great stuff

jimsmith117
04-25-2010, 05:13 PM
The only Vernor's available in my area is 2 liters from Kroger.Should I ever go back to WJDP I will have to keep this in mind as I'm always interested in something different.Ale-8 made in Winchester, Ky is also one of my favorite ginger ale type drinks.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
You can find the drinks in the stores around the area, but the price is usually much higher. Every time I've ever been there, however, they have had the big-sellers (Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, and Cheerwine) on hand. It's drinks like 7 Up, RC Cola, Red Rock Cola, and Big Red that are not always available.

Speaking of WJ products, I found a glass-bottled Vernor's Ginger Ale today that was bottled in West Jefferson. That must be new for them.

i wonder if we'll see that in michigan seeing as dpsu took over vernors statewide. pepsi did a limited longneck release one year.

drpep
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
If for some reason WJ does not have RC on hand you should have no trouble finding in most stores (not all supermarkets though) in the area.