PDA

View Full Version : KP Special orders

Themaster73
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Does anyone know if Coke or Pepsi would make special accommodations if a store wanted a specific KP product (one not originally intended to be available)?

For example would KP Coke also come in 20 oz and or 1.5 liters if some stores requested those sizes?

Or KP Coke and KP Pepsi being requested in 12 pack 12 oz cans (instead of 6 pack 12 oz cans)?

Also if enough local stores were to request it could products be revived (Kosher for Passover Sprite, Kosher for Passover Caffeine Free Coke, Kosher for Passover Dr Pepper [at least in NYC]) or added (Kosher for Passover Pepsi Wild Cherry, Kosher for Passover Fanta, Kosher for Passover Mountain Dew)?

lordmadone
04-25-2010, 09:35 PM
It IS possible but as with business there is ALWAYS a law of supply and demand. If there is not enough demand for it then it won't be fiscally intelligent to make it.

fusion
04-26-2010, 06:20 AM
KP sodas are made for entire regions of the country, not just for a local market. There would have to be enough demand across that entire region to justify the expense of the production run.

Also, bottling plants today are set up for large production runs. Economies of scale. The more you run, the lower cost per unit.

KP sodas are produced to fill a certain specific need for a limited time. As the years have passed, they've whittled down the selection significantly. I remember in the late 90's, there was KP Seagram's Ale and Seltzer, plus Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. Now there's just Coke and Diet Coke. One year, they produced 1Ls instead of 2Ls, and there was practically a revolt. People were angry at me, and I had nothing to do with it! Fanta trends towards Hispanics and youth, I doubt practicing Jewish people who are observing Passover would buy it.

Your best bet for sugar Coke products is to make a road trip to Cleveland OH or Bethlehem PA. Of course, it's just the colas, but you can get them year 'round. Sugar Dr Pepper can be obtained from Dublin TX and Temple TX.

The real issue here is the sugar tariffs and the sugar quotas. Beverage companies switched to HFCS when sugar became more expensive. Since sugar can't be grown here on a large scale basis, it has to be imported. I think some Congressmen are working towards getting the quotas raised, but I honestly think they should just be eliminated all together. That would lower the price enough to probably convince beverage companies (and others who use HFCS, like bakeries, pasta sauce makers, and so on) to switch back.

Hell, in Brazil, cars run on sugar! Well, sugar ethanol. But imagine if that technology came here, we wouldn't need to rely on fossil fuels.

fusion
04-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Alternatively, I would also encourage you to seek out and support the smaller companies who do choose to use sugar exclusively. Of course, the cost per oz/unit is higher, but it's worth it. Boylan's is one great example - they make a fine line of sodas. Another option would be West Jefferson longnecks, they use sugar (despite what some bottles/caps may say).

Themaster73
05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I emailed one store and they actually tracked down KP Coke, at least 30 bottles left in late April too. Some stores were only getting KP Diet and no regular (this was before the email).

Are stores able to order KP soda *before* production begins in late February / early March?

This way if enough places can request KP Sprite, it can be revived. All of you can also email your local stores requesting KP Sprite (and Seagrams), this will increase the demand, thus possibly reviving production in 2011.

Schweppes and Canada Dry have 1L KP instead of 2L, what a ripoff. Schweppes 1L still has High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, while the 2L just says High Fructose Corn Syrup

Canada Dry 6 pack has HFCS on it, but also has the K]P sign...