PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they advertise Mello Yello?

cokeman19
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
All our trucks have the ability to put ads on the back. Same ad for Gold Peak has been on my truck for 8 months. Customers say it's not selling and ask me why Coke isn't advertising it at all. I put MY in several vending machines with virtually no sales yet. WTF don't they want to sell this product?

Maybe other drivers/reps could tell me otherwise.

We have not had MY in 10+ years in my area (Northeast). I don't think anybody knows what it is so they wont try it. Am I wrong or is Coke dropping the ball here?

CitrusCola
05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Coke always seems to be slow when it comes to promoting their products. I remember how they piddled around for quite a while regarding Coke Zero before changing the label and promoting it.

I don't understand why Coke operates this way.

popologist
05-16-2010, 12:50 PM
It's probably because they don't want to rock the boat. Coke is the leader and doesn't want to mess with that. They probably think, "well, if we promote Mello Yello, that may hurt Sprite." Or something like that.

This also applies to Coke Zero. They've been very careful promoting CZ. I figure they're afraid of hurting Diet Coke too much.

I think Pepsi takes more chances than Coke, but that's probably because they're #2. They've got less to lose and more to gain, I guess.

You'd think that Coke would have a more formidable competitor to Mountain Dew... but all of their attempts have flopped. MtDew is pretty entrenched. It's probably Pepsi's biggest success story of the last decade.

Mr Zabe
05-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I recall call Fusion posted (me too LOL) that Mello Yello is in the middle of a
"soft roll out". Meaning that Coke has not fully rolled out Mello Yello to all regional markets. I would guess that very soon, Coke will ramp up a national add campaign.
Coke Zero had a similar soft roll out and perceived lack of add and promotion campaigns.

IMO.. Coke would gladly want Mello Yello to compete with Sprite.
New market share between brands is just money in the bank.

cokeman19
05-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't think MY would hurt Sprite. My is pretty high in caffeine where sprite doesn't have caffeine.

lordmadone
05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Popologist I highly doubt that. MY tastes nothing like sprite and carries a different appeal to it completely..especially the whole "caffeine" part. They are just biding their time IMO due to the fact that they are "self competing" so to say with their own citrus brand soda(vault) and don't want to take away any more market share then the little bit that vault does have. My 2 cents.

Also..anyone familiar with Pepsi's products would have to say that Dew is one of its biggest label brands worldwide(thats for Pepsico). I think it is either the 3rd or 4th LARGEST brand for Pepsico worldwide. It is not just entrenched..it is powerful. I am amazed at the fanatacism of it tho..and coke has taken many attempts at it but has failed..I wonder how long before they make a completely new brand again..or will they just realize that history is teaching them a valuable lesson? Either way..as I always say.. Pepsi has Dew...Coke has sprite..and neither have been that succesful in knocking their competitors respective brands off the top perch...just chipping away it in some aspects.

dweezil2000
05-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I actually just heard a Mello Yello radio commercial the other day here in Columbus, OH. It featured two guys talking, one who was drinking a Mello Yello and the other guy comments excitedly that he's had the drink before. The dude drinking it basically calls him a liar because if he really did drink Mello Yello he'd be more "Mello" about it. ... or something. Brilliant, I know.

The commercial DID feature the song Mello Yello, unsurprisingly. I believe it aired on WNCI.

cokeman19
05-17-2010, 10:27 PM
What bothers me is they dont use the back of the truck. It's just metal clips that they attach a "poster" to the back. There was a time where they changed them a lot. They had lots of vitamin water posters etc... but lately they just keep the old ones on or nothing at all. Seems like a waste of good advertising space.

XLS_04
05-18-2010, 02:33 AM
The Coca-Cola Company has been kinda lazy lately it seems. They need to make more new products or at least some limited edition flavors.

On a side note...Since Coca-Cola made retro late 70s/early 80s logos for Coca-Cola and Mello Yello does anyone think we will get the retro/modern cherry Coke logo like they have in Japan?

CitrusCola
05-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I still don't understand why they don't try to sell and promote Pibb Zero more widely. In the area where I live, Pepsi distributes Dr Pepper, and Pibb Xtra is widely available, but there's no Pibb Zero.

If a Mello Yello Zero is coming, will they make it widely available?

Mr Zabe
05-18-2010, 11:24 AM
My two cents. Corporations/companies seek to maximize share holder stock value.
Business produce and promote/distribute goods to maximize profits.
Coca Cola probably is not as clueless as we think they are. Like other companies,
Coca Cola reacts to market forecasts and market trends and not as much to
market fads. It would be interesting to see actual market sales results from
year to year and quarter to quarter.

I too get frustrated with not getting what I want when I want it. LOL :)

BottleBoss
05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Around here in Frederick, Maryland I wonder how they could advertise something that you can't find anywhere yet. Except at 1 gas station.

greg
05-19-2010, 10:27 AM
What bothers me is they dont use the back of the truck. It's just metal clips that they attach a "poster" to the back. There was a time where they changed them a lot. They had lots of vitamin water posters etc... but lately they just keep the old ones on or nothing at all. Seems like a waste of good advertising space.

Coke spent a lot of money on Vitamin Water and thereby needed, and still needs, to get a return on that investment, hence the heavy push in advertising.
They have "owned" Mello Yello for decades and that is just incremental dollars in the bank.

Coke realizes they have not competed well at all with Mountain Dew. Therefore they will continue to offer Vault and Mello Yello for their dedicated consumers. If they fail to have an offering in the category then that is lost revenue and may result in a lost consumer forever.

On another note; I dont think that Mello Yello and Sprite are in the same category. One is Lemon Lime and the other Citrus.....although on the surface similar in the beverage world 2 completely different animals.

fusion
05-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Advertising is supposed to be coming, it was mentioned in quite a few articles that Coke was going to promote the brand for the first time in... 17? years?

Anyway, mello yello (http://www.melloyello.com) is back, currently as a placeholder/coming soon site, but at least it's not redirecting to Coke's site anymore.