PDA

View Full Version : 24 oz Pepsi bottles?

cokeman19
05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I went to a Mobil gas station in MA and all they had were Pepsi 24 oz products in bottles.

Is pepsi going to move away from the 20 oz in favor of the 24 oz?

Is this a new bold move or just a coincidence?

As a coke driver the thought of switching to 24 oz makes my back hurt.

i also noticed Pepsi is selling the large brisk tea cans for .99 like arizona does....

drpep
05-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I saw the same thing awhile ago. I wonder if the store had bought a bunch of 24oz six packs on sale somewhere to resell.

pepsiguy383
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
160z cans of Brisk? Interesting... up here we sell one liter bottles of 6 different varieties for 99 cents, and they FLY off the shelves.. As far as the 24 oz bottles go, most, if not all c-stores in our region have them in their cooler set. They sell for the same price as the 20 oz bottles. They are only sold in core flavors however (pepsi, dt pepsi, dew, dt dew, crush... we don't carry dr. pepper up here unfortunately). The stores also get them for the same price as they would for a case of non-promotional 20 oz off of the truck.

cokeman19
05-23-2010, 07:25 PM
the brisk was in the 24oz? can. they also had 1 liters of brisk flavors in bottles for .99

any chance of the 24 oz bottle replacing the 20 oz ?????? why would the store buy 20 oz instead of 24 oz if it;s the same price? i would think they could sell the 24 oz for a better margin.

Didn;t pepsi start the 20 oz and coke followed. i would hate to see 24 replace 20. those cases must be heavy and less stable on the truck.

lordmadone
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
24oz 6 packs are a good reference(and we sell a ton of those) and they aren't much heavier or less stable then 20oz..

rackitup
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
We have had 24 oz 6 pack bottles (plastic) for years in OR. and WA.

Each 24 oz bottle used to be marked "not for individual sale",

I just looked @ my 24 oz bottle in the fridge and noticed "not for individual sale" is no longer on the bottle.

On sale these bottles retail @ almost 1/2 the wholesale cost of a case of 20 oz.

The 24 oz 6 packs run for the cost of a 12 oz. 12 pk.,3 for $10, 4 for $10, 4 for $12.
Target has 24 oz. 6 packs 5 for $15 this week

fusion
05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Since I service grocery stores and Wal-Marts, I see small store owners buying up large quantities of soda all the time. I'm sure they're having a field day with these rollbacks we have at Wal-Mart right now ($5 24 packs, 98 2L).

Some stores will buy some stuff on their own, and buy a limited amount of what they can't get elsewhere from off the truck. Or, they'll buy multipacks and break them up, which is entirely possible in the store you saw. Unfortunately, not much anyone can do about it. Those stores usually don't get offered deals, or put on discount programs, though.

In some cases, it does work out to the bottlers' advantage. For example, there's a Chinese restaurant on the other end of the shopping center from one of the stores I service. They exclusively buy from the grocery store, and nothing from the bottlers. They sell loose cans of Coke/Pepsi products, and 24oz Pepsi products and 16.9oz Coke products as single bottles. But for the amount of business they probably do, the cost for the bottler to send someone there to write the order, have the warehouse pick and load the order (we're on OFS now, which means no sideload trucks, but instead full trailers with prebuilt pallets and 3 sided carts for smaller stops), and then have a driver stop and make the delivery, plus all the paperwork, billing, etc, it's cheaper to just let them buy it at the grocery store. We're still making money on it.

The problems arise when these stores want you to credit out stuff they bought on their own, or swap it out for other stuff/flavors/etc. Or, they'll cross franchise boundaries, and get product that looks vastly different than what you have - contour 2L vs. straightwall, Dr Pepper from Coke vs. Pepsi, stuff like that. Or they'll do it to beat the deposit laws - going into NJ from NY to buy soda, for example.

fusion
05-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh, and they had the 24oz cans of Brisk here for a while as well. Lemon, Green Apple, and I think sweet? They went away a fairly long time ago. Most of the 7-11s here, along with some other mom & pop stores, plus Food Lion, sell the 99 1L Brisk flavors now. Arizona big cans still dominate the shelf space, but Pepsi is cutting into it. Coke here isn't doing anything in response, though in Maryland we carry Peace Tea.

cokeman19
05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I talked to some of the "older" Coke guys about the 20 oz. They said either Coke or Pepsi started it all with a promotion of 4oz free(16 oz plus 4 oz). Eventually the 20 oz became the norm and favorite for both companies. Think of all the extra weight that is put on the drivers going from 16 oz to 20oz.

All i could think of was here we go again 20 oz to 24 oz for both as the norm.

The reason it seemed odd to me was it wasn't a mom and pop operation. This was a major Mobil convenience store. That's why it really struck me as weird.

I heard once that coke was going to do away with 2L and make 1.5 L the norm. Apparently that's not happening. Has anybody ever seen the 1.5 L bottles? I think i heard they tried it out in NYC for a while.

fusion
05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
1.5L bottles still available in NY/NJ metro. Also sold in some areas are 50oz twin packs (1.5L = 50.7oz).

The switch from 16oz to 20oz was also when packaging went from glass to plastic. I remember driving to Coke Consolidated territory and finding 20oz plastic, while we still had 16oz glass in MD.

Coke did the same thing with Fruitopia when it went from glass to plastic, which also meant it went from hot-fill to cold-fill. Fruitopia just wasn't the same after that. I'd love to try some of the Canadian stuff one of these days.

fusion
05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Just because it said Mobil on the front doesn't mean a whole lot. In 2008, ExxonMobil only owned and operated 10% of their locations (over 12,000 of them). I'm sure the number has shrunk even more since then. There's not a ton of money in selling gas.

Mr Zabe
05-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Just because it said Mobil on the front doesn't mean a whole lot. In 2008, ExxonMobil only owned and operated 10% of their locations (over 12,000 of them). I'm sure the number has shrunk even more since then. There's not a ton of money in selling gas. Gas stations for the most part are basically C-stores that sell
gas. They make their profits selling food and drink as well as car washes.

I just about always grab a soda pop and some food when I get gas for my car.

SkyKingLQ
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Pepsi is not making the 24oz plastic bottles anymore. My wife and I really liked this size because it gave us more product and fit into cup holders nicely.

Why did they stop making them?

lordmadone
10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
That is not true..they are still going strong in VA but 16.9oz are becoming the better value and are going on sale far more often as a result. Many shady C-stores buy the 6pk half liters and sell them the same price individually as 16oz slim bottles. 24oz 6 pks are still bought in mass quantities by some c-stores to replace the need for 20oz bottles. Don't these c-stores realize that the effort/time wasted + cost to transport outweighs having an established company deliver them to you? Ah well, that is the name of the game with some of these folks. My apologies..went off on a tangent.

24oz 6 pks arent going anywhere in VA at least and me thinks most anywhere else. 16.9oz might take over much of their shelf space as a result of cost cutting however.

the saint
10-25-2011, 07:36 AM
That is not true..they are still going strong in VA but 16.9oz are becoming the better value and are going on sale far more often as a result. Many shady C-stores buy the 6pk half liters and sell them the same price individually as 16oz slim bottles. 24oz 6 pks are still bought in mass quantities by some c-stores to replace the need for 20oz bottles. Don't these c-stores realize that the effort/time wasted + cost to transport outweighs having an established company deliver them to you? Ah well, that is the name of the game with some of these folks. My apologies..went off on a tangent.

24oz 6 pks arent going anywhere in VA at least and me thinks most anywhere else. 16.9oz might take over much of their shelf space as a result of cost cutting however.

24 oz have been gone from OKC for a long time. we switched to 16.9 6 pack well over 2 years ago and they too appear to be on the chopping block in favor of 12oz 8pk.

and NO those people do not understand the time/effort/cost factor, they see that they are saving a dime by buying it elsewhere. It reminds me of G packaging. Supposedly there wasn't going to be anyone anywhere dist. G except for Pepsi, well we all know that is false now but, i have a hard time getting the people to understand that a 15pk case from pepsi for 15 bucks is the exact same cost per bottle as a 12 pack case from sams. the only difference is that our case has 3 more bottles hence the 3 more dollars per case, and when fuel, time, effort rolled into it they are actually spending more buying from sams or where ever than they would by letting pepsi deliver. they will argue and argue that the 12 pk is cheaper per bottle because it is only 12 dollars per case.