PDA

View Full Version : Taste difference between regular and caffeine free versions

jacksmom
06-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi all!

Just curious - my husband insists he can taste a difference between the regular (caffeinated) and caffeine free versions of most every drink. I, myself, cannot tell a difference, except in the way I feel after I have a caffeinated vs. non-caffeinated soda. Specifically, I think Caffeine Free Mountain Dew tastes just like its counterpart, along with Caffeine Free Coke and regular Coke. Thoughts anyone?

RootJack
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I have to agree with your husband. I've had my own family test me on this. For those with a sensitive sniffer, it is immediately noticeable. I very much prefer the taste of the caffeinated versions. It is either because it is what I am used to, or perhaps because the formulation is different to compensate.

Caffeine is very bitter to taste. The stronger it is, the more it needs to be compensated for. Either way, it definitely has an effect on flavor.

fusion
06-02-2010, 12:09 PM
To me, the difference is noticeable. The caffeine gives it a "bite." When Barq's used to advertise, they used the tagline "Barq's has bite."

jacksmom
06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
To me, the difference is noticeable. The caffeine gives it a "bite." When Barq's used to advertise, they used the tagline "Barq's has bite."

Ha ha - I wouldn't know about the Barq's, since the version we get here in Utah is caffeine free - although the advertising on the packaging still says Barq's has bite - too funny!

I will say that the only drink I can tell a noticeable difference is in SunDrop. I've had both versions and the caffeine free version is noticeably sweeter - it also has more calories, so it may be a different formulation altogether.

CitrusCola
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
There's a difference between the taste of Diet Sun Drop and Caffeine Free Diet Sun Drop. The caffeine-free diet version is much sweeter and has less bite.

As mentioned earlier, caffeine is very bitter, so extra sweetener is often added to mask the bitter taste. I wonder if the diet caffeine-free Sun Drop tastes sweeter because they use the same amount of sweetener in both versions?

drpep
06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I notice a difference between regular Pepsi and Caffeine Free Pepsi.

Mr Zabe
06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
I notice a difference between regular Pepsi and Caffeine Free Pepsi. Same for me.

popologist
06-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I used to be able to tell a difference between Diet Coke and CF Diet Coke (I thought the CF version tasted a little better).

rackitup
06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I notice a difference between regular Pepsi and Caffeine Free Pepsi.

Same for me.

the CF Pepsi tastes flatter, and sweeter.

Themaster73
06-04-2010, 02:18 AM
So KP CF Pepsi must be the best tasting Pepsi then ;)

BottleBoss
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Hello,
O.K. people. I am sitting here right now trying a regular Coke and a Caffeine free coke so that we can get some facts. The caffeine free coke does taste a little different. It actually tastes better. It is a little less bitter, has somewhat of a carmel like finish to it and has a slightly less harsh flavor. Of course the 'better' part is just my opinion. And the difference in flavor is so small that I don't think most people could tell unless they were looking for it.

Thanks,
BOTTLEBOSS

jacksmom
06-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Hello,
O.K. people. I am sitting here right now trying a regular Coke and a Caffeine free coke so that we can get some facts. The caffeine free coke does taste a little different. It actually tastes better. It is a little less bitter, has somewhat of a carmel like finish to it and has a slightly less harsh flavor. Of course the 'better' part is just my opinion. And the difference in flavor is so small that I don't think most people could tell unless they were looking for it.

Thanks,
BOTTLEBOSS

Wow - thanks! An honest side by side comparison! :) Truth be told, I rarely drink regular Coke, usually just Cherry Coke if I'm going for a caffeinated version, but I do have a lot of Caffeine Free Coke, which I think tastes pretty good also. It is right up there as one of the sweetest tasting soda for me, though, even more so than other sodas with more calories.

PSOmasterX77
06-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Yeah I can taste the difference. Caffeine hurts me badly, so I LIVE for CF Mountain Dew when I visit Canada. It's a little sweeter. (And let's not even get to the cane sugar original version you can pick up there if you look hard enough... <3 )

Dumas Walker
06-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Going back a bit, I was never able to tell the difference between Pepsi and Pepsi Free.

OTOH, I think CF Ski (which is being discontinued in favor of Diet CF Ski) is sweeter-tasting than regular Ski. I actually liked it a little better.

Also, I have a friend that swears she can tell the difference between Diet Coke and CF Diet Coke. Being diet, I think they both taste awful :D so I will take her word for it!