PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club MexiCoke spotting in Allentown, PA

janstett
06-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I've seen spottings of grey-market MexiCoke at Sam's Club locations in California and the southwest. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I saw a palette of the sweet sweet stuff in 24-pack bottles at Sam's in Allentown.

Of course, Allentown is one of two Coke bottlers that uses Sucrose instead of HFCS and I prefer the Allentown variety over the Mexican stuff. But it was still good to see (hopefully it will proliferate to other Sam's Clubs this far north where sucrose is not being used in regular Coke) and I picked up a pack.

UncleBob
06-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I've found the Mexican Coke here in southern Illinois/Indiana at Sam's as well (Marion, IL and Evansville, IN). Apparently, the Evansville location also has Mexican Fanta Orange, but I've never actually seen it there.

fusion
06-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I've seen spottings of grey-market MexiCoke at Sam's Club locations in California and the southwest. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I saw a palette of the sweet sweet stuff in 24-pack bottles at Sam's in Allentown.

Of course, Allentown is one of two Coke bottlers that uses Sucrose instead of HFCS and I prefer the Allentown variety over the Mexican stuff. But it was still good to see (hopefully it will proliferate to other Sam's Clubs this far north where sucrose is not being used in regular Coke) and I picked up a pack.

It's not gray market. It's 100% legitimate, produced specifically for export to the US. It was first tested in CA and AZ, and has spread throughout the country. Rather than take Pepsi's stance of going after the companies who were importing, and people who were selling it, Coke decided to get into the game with their Mexican bottlers and offer Mexican produced Coke to the US public through their own distribution channels.

If you notice, the bottles have a 0-49000- UPC code. That is the US UPC prefix for Coke products (25000 for Minute Maid, 83900 for Nestea/Gold Peak, and so on). They wouldn't have that if it was gray market. Or it would be on a sticker, attached to the bottle.

Another thing to consider. Sucrose Coke produced in Bethlehem is made with liquid sucrose, most likely from beets. Cane sugar prices are artificially high in the US due to import quotas and tariffs, to protect US sugar farmers. This is why we are the only country to use HFCS. I'm willing to bet the Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar, since sugar is plentiful and cheap in Central/South America. Did you know that cars in Brazil run on sugar ethanol?

janstett
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM
If you notice, the bottles have a 0-49000- UPC code. That is the US UPC prefix for Coke products (25000 for Minute Maid, 83900 for Nestea/Gold Peak, and so on). They wouldn't have that if it was gray market. Or it would be on a sticker, attached to the bottle.

You are correct, sir. Although the stuff I've picked up at a local bodega is mixed -- some 49000, mostly 7500.

I'm glad to see Coke is doing something to bring us the Mexican stuff "officially".

Another thing to consider. Sucrose Coke produced in Bethlehem is made with liquid sucrose, most likely from beets. Cane sugar prices are artificially high in the US due to import quotas and tariffs, to protect US sugar farmers. This is why we are the only country to use HFCS. I'm willing to bet the Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar, since sugar is plentiful and cheap in Central/South America. Did you know that cars in Brazil run on sugar ethanol?

Yeah, I just assume (in the US) unless they specify cane sugar (such as Boylan and Dublin DP) that it's beet sugar or a mix. When they use cane they make a point of it.

Still not sure why I prefer the Allentown stuff. Maybe the purity of the water source or ratios of the ingredients. I've also had KFP Coke and at least this year, it was terrible which I would guess is the use of beet sugar absent any official explanation.

CCE Girlie
06-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Fusion---you know your Coke info!

fusion
06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Still not sure why I prefer the Allentown stuff. Maybe the purity of the water source or ratios of the ingredients. I've also had KFP Coke and at least this year, it was terrible which I would guess is the use of beet sugar absent any official explanation.

It's probably a variety of things, including what you're thinking.

I didn't think the KP stuff was bad this year, but I do say that when Alexandria VA was running a bottling line, their KP stuff was better than the Elmsford NY stuff. I miss the KP Sprite, too.

I just finished a Bethlehem Cherry Coke in a can. For some reason, I think it's better out of a 2 liter.

I am disappointed they decided to stop making Vanilla Coke, and their Coke with Lime was out of this world as well.

It will be interesting to compare the sucrose Dr Pepper from Coke with the Pepsi version from earlier this year. Should be out in about three weeks or so, depending on the area.

janstett
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
It will be interesting to compare the sucrose Dr Pepper from Coke with the Pepsi version from earlier this year. Should be out in about three weeks or so, depending on the area.

I saw the post about Coke getting distribution rights, where can I find more info on sucrose DP? (I'm really interested in comparing it to Dublin DP, that is good stuff).

I also miss the sucrose Vanilla Coke. That was some of the tastiest stuff I've ever had.

rv65
06-19-2010, 06:13 AM
It's probably a variety of things, including what you're thinking.

I didn't think the KP stuff was bad this year, but I do say that when Alexandria VA was running a bottling line, their KP stuff was better than the Elmsford NY stuff. I miss the KP Sprite, too.

I just finished a Bethlehem Cherry Coke in a can. For some reason, I think it's better out of a 2 liter.

I am disappointed they decided to stop making Vanilla Coke, and their Coke with Lime was out of this world as well.

My KP coke was made by plant "LL". What plant is that? I've seen DP bottles made from that plant, but our usual coke plant is SD.

fusion
06-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Either San Antonio or El Paso TX - those are the only plants near you (along with Downey CA, which is code DD) that can handle liquid sucrose. Don't know the code for either plant.

Here's a pretty good link to some more info on the 125th anniversary edition, including the collectible cans.

http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/files/Beverage_Industry-DrPepper_125th_CoverStory_Victorville_Plant_Openin g.pdf

rv65
06-22-2010, 04:21 AM
All of our KP coke was probably made in Texas as they all had LL and not DD. A Japanese restaurant nearby gets their DP from plant DD and it tastes so much better than plant SD even though it has HFCS. Only 20 oz bottles of HFCS DP are being made in plant LL and it has a different taste than plant SD. Though some bottles are made by plant SD but mainly LL for DP.

rv65
06-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Fanta in my area is produced by plant DD.

CCE Girlie
06-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Either San Antonio or El Paso TX - those are the only plants near you (along with Downey CA, which is code DD) that can handle liquid sucrose. Don't know the code for either plant.

Here's a pretty good link to some more info on the 125th anniversary edition, including the collectible cans.

http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/files/Beverage_Industry-DrPepper_125th_CoverStory_Victorville_Plant_Openin g.pdf

I now regret throwing out my plant code list.