PDA

View Full Version : Mello Yello website up and running

cokeman19
07-25-2010, 12:00 PM
MelloYello (http://melloyello.com/)

PepsiBlue
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Nice, of course they have to play the mello yello song!
I hope a Mello Yello Zero comes out.

Tannerman
07-29-2010, 01:59 PM
While Coke hasn't hopped on the "throwback" bandwagon, this is a nice execution of nostalgic marketing

skylark68
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
The website shows that Texas isn't among the states where Mello Yello is being distributed, but just 2 weeks ago on I-10 East just outside of Houston I saw a billboard for it. None of the stores around my area are carrying it. I'm wondering why Coke would choose to tease Houstonians like that?

popologist
07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
So is Mello Yello back... for wide release? And does this mean that Vault is on its way out? Could we soon see Mello Yello at fast food restaurants? Is there a Zero formulation in the works? What do we know?

fusion
07-29-2010, 07:22 PM
The website shows that Texas isn't among the states where Mello Yello is being distributed, but just 2 weeks ago on I-10 East just outside of Houston I saw a billboard for it. None of the stores around my area are carrying it. I'm wondering why Coke would choose to tease Houstonians like that?

That map is incorrect. The states in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast that are left out do have it, at least in CCE areas, and at least in 20oz. I believe it's also in the Pacific Northwest?

cokeman19
07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
MY is picking up a bit. It is doing ok even though it's not advertised in the massachusetts market.

fusion
07-29-2010, 11:55 PM
It's doing really well for us in Maryland, especially 20oz. And we aren't really running any specials in large stores, though there are different promos in small stores. Though we did carry it before Vault...

I just wish they'd bring the cherry back. Melon seems like a niche flavor, so I doubt that's even on the radar. And I think Afterglow (peach) was a poor seller, so doubtful that it will return.

Is Diet Mello Yello still out there anywhere?

CitrusCola
07-30-2010, 06:42 AM
There was a rumor a few months ago that a Mello Yello Zero would be introduced late this year or early next year. The fact that nobody's said anything about it recently makes me doubt if that rumor is true.

fusion
07-30-2010, 05:06 PM
You have to realize that there are literally hundreds of things being worked on/considered/researched at any given time, few of which see the light of day. There is a very strict process that items must go through before they even hit the market. The whole process may take up to a year or more. Things may get so far, and then pushed back for more research/data collection/etc, or may get scrapped all together at a certain point in the process, due to outside factors. Then you have to consider the design and production of the packaging, the setup in the UPC database, getting chains to authorize it, getting time on a production line to produce it, and building up enough inventory to launch the product successfully. That is why you may see some products that have been produced weeks before the launch, to ensure enough is in the system to meet the demand of the sales centers.

Not to mention that information like that is confidential, and it's not worth risking anyone's job just to tell a bunch of strangers that a beverage may or may not be coming out. I personally usually wait until a media outlet of some type mentions it, before I will say anything. The exception was recently when someone posted incorrect information, and I felt that I had to correct it.

There are many, many people involved in the process, from the initial research to the proposal, to the discussion, forecasting, outside contractors to produce and ship the packaging, production facilities, trucking companies (or company trucks) to get the product to the warehouses, salespeople to sell the product, warehouse people to load the product, drivers to deliver the product, and possibly even a merchandiser to stock the product. Not to mention key account reps, who are the go between between the bottler/distributor and the chain stores, to get the product authorized in the system. Marketing may also be involved, creating point of sale, advertising, radio/tv spots, etc. Then there may be the creation and distribution of coupons. Not to mention some sort of graphic designer to design the look of the bottle/can/box/etc.

Just my 2.

Mr Zabe
07-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Most very well said.
All the kids asking for advice about the
beverage industry should read your post. :)

Dewman1979
07-31-2010, 03:38 AM
That map is incorrect. The states in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast that are left out do have it, at least in CCE areas, and at least in 20oz. I believe it's also in the Pacific Northwest?

Yes, in 20oz.

Jim.
07-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Just found it a couple of weeks ago, with it's high sugar/caffeine content it definitely seems poised to replace Vault as Vault would seem like a redundant item. I must say that as much as I enjoyed it's likeness to Surge I liked Mello Yello better much lighther taste. Not as harsh.

cokeman19
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I just saw a huge mello yello billboard the other day in ma.

The tag line was They call it: then the can graphic fits in to complete it. Very eye catching and very bright considering the mello yello color scheme.

Maybe this is just the beginning of a decent ad campaign. i hope so.

CitrusCola
08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Coke is working to add Mello Yello to the Freestyle offerings:

Rise of the machines: Coke bets on Freestyle growth | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/rise-of-the-machines-581358.html)

fusion
08-13-2010, 08:22 AM
12 packs coming from Richmond VA now have a buy 3 12 packs, get a free t-shirt mail-in offer on them.

When Coke acquires the North American operations of CCE later this year, they will be giving up Cactus Cooler, Squirt, Schweppes, and Canada Dry (except in the Northeast, and probably Canada). At the same time, Seagram's will expand to cover the ginger ale/mixer voids, and we should see some more Mello Yello out there, to fill the citrus voids and to expand the brand into new markets. Definitely in 2011, we should see more MY.

drpep
08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
In 2011 which label will be the regular one? When in Charlotte I did not see the new yellow one.

fusion
08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
The "retro" looking one is the new/permanent one. Perhaps CCBCC has a lot of the old stuff to go through, first.

lordmadone
08-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Excellent post on the first page Fusion...someone please save that for future uses..lol.

I agreed with everything except saying something about a new product until a media outlet says something about it. I like to hype up products..a bit. Lets people know about them well in advance. I can say with a certainty that my insight has been VERY accurate and contained very little errors in it. Of course times have been pushed back on some things..and only one product I said about hasn't come out yet(cherry max) but thats how things go. Ah well :).

David J.
08-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I went to a Shoppers in Hylba Valley, VA when MY was first being relaunched and I saw the non-retro style packaging there, mind you it was only one 12-pack but caught my interest regardless.