PDA

View Full Version : Sonic expands to Maryland

fusion
09-03-2010, 08:41 AM
First location opened late last year in Easton, on US 50 - great for those travelling to/from Ocean City, MD.

Second location opened recently in Randallstown, just off the Baltimore beltway on MD 26.

Third location will open on September 20th in Elkton. Right near the MD/DE state line, but not easy to get to from the interstate. Also, it's a scaled down version, and right off of US 40. Predict it will be a total madhouse for a while.

fusion
09-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Correction: the Elkton location opened TODAY, the 10th. For anyone in the area, it's in front of the Big Elk Mall at the intersection of US 40 and MD 213, next to the McDonald's.

Mr Zabe
09-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Fusion, the one thing I remember from my Sonic's visit is that
right on the other side of the street there was a row of fast food restaurants,
White Castle,Wendy's , McD's, Burger King and Taco Bell. It appeared
that at 11:30am the other restaurants had a very light lunch rush.
By my parts, the big offices eat in shifts so at 11:30am, I usually see lots of
drive through lunch business.

I'm sure Sonic's being the new kid on the block gets it's share of the
lunch business but with the down economy I question how eager
the new Sonics customer will embrace having to deal with tipping?
Just about any and all fast food joints do not involve tipping.
To be frank, I would only use Sonic's drive through. I can't see giving
a nice tip for the outside walk window service. By the way I tip at least a dollar
even for a $2 drink. I always tip well as I know servers work hard
and get very little base pay.

I have to balance affording a fast food meal or tipping well.
With limited funds, I will probably not frequent Sonics as much.

bobpuller
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
To be clear, you are not expected to tip at Sonic. They do not pay the employees server wage, their pay is still crappy but no worse than McD's or any other chain.

Mr Zabe
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Sonics is new to the area that I live in.

the saint
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
To be clear, you are not expected to tip at Sonic. They do not pay the employees server wage, their pay is still crappy but no worse than McD's or any other chain.

From my understanding any corporate owned sonic pay servers minimum wage same as McDs wendys etc. Franchise sonics are where the server wages go to the base +tips like other restaurants. then again it could be the other way around and corporate stores don't pay min wage to the servers.