PDA

View Full Version : Did Coke II (New Coke) taste similar to Pepsi Throwback?

Themaster73
10-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Did Coke II (New Coke) taste similar to Pepsi Throwback?

The ingredients (other than HFCS and sugar) are similar except Pepsi has Caffeine higher on the list and less Natural Flavors

SamC
10-17-2010, 09:48 AM
No. "New Coke" tasted like Diet Coke, only made with sugar rather than whatever. Diet Coke is, and always has been, Diet "New Coke", and Coke Zero is really the diet version of the real Coca-Cola.

Themaster73
10-17-2010, 05:38 PM
No. "New Coke" tasted like Diet Coke, only made with sugar rather than whatever. Diet Coke is, and always has been, Diet "New Coke", and Coke Zero is really the diet version of the real Coca-Cola.

New Coke didn't have Citric Acid in it like Diet Coke has

XLS_04
10-18-2010, 03:58 AM
It never tasted like Pepsi throwback because it never contained sugar, it was always corn syrup. The closest thing that I can think of that tastes like Coke II is Faygo cola but the stores around here no longer carry it, thats my opinion anyway.

Themaster73
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
It never tasted like Pepsi throwback because it never contained sugar, it was always corn syrup. The closest thing that I can think of that tastes like Coke II is Faygo cola but the stores around here no longer carry it, thats my opinion anyway.

KP New Coke and the international versions (like Micronesia) did have sucrose instead of HFCS

XLS_04
10-19-2010, 04:13 AM
KP New Coke and the international versions (like Micronesia) did have sucrose instead of HFCS

I did not know the version in Micronesia had sucrose in it, thanks for clearing that up.

popologist
10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
In blind taste tests, new Coke tasted better than, both, Coke Classic & Pepsi. Unfortunately for the Coca-Cola Co (or maybe fortunately), most people don't drink their soda with a blindfold on... ;)

Dewman1979
10-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Nope...they drink it because of the brand. Pure ignorance.

mozartpc27
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Coke II did not taste like Pepsi Throwback.

Coke II had, among other things, a hint of coffee in its after taste. For all that it was supposed to taste like Pepsi, I never found it to be like Pepsi at all, which is why I liked it - I find regular Pepsi much too sweet. While Pepsi Throwback is better than regular Pepsi, it was still much sweeter than I remember Coke II being.

New Coke/Coke II was sweeter than Coca-Cola Classic, but not especially so. I sure wish they would bring it back; I've written the Coca-Cola company expressing that opinion, but I was (understandably) rebuffed I am probably the world's biggest fan of the stuff, and there just aren't that many of us out there.

Check out my new blog (which I've only just begun): "New Coke"/Coke II: The Blog (http://cokeii.blogspot.com)

Hacksaw
01-06-2011, 05:07 AM
They don't taste the same to me.

BottleBoss
01-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Coke 2/ New Coke didn't taste bad. People just got angry that coke had changed something that had been around for a long time. With that in mind most people simply decided they were not going to like it, so they didn't. Someone here said Pepsi throwback is made with corn syrup. Is that true?

SamC
01-06-2011, 08:38 AM
"New" Coke / Coke 2 was one of the most vile tasting products on the face of the earth. It represented the nader of the "too many MBAs" era at KO, and led to changes that restored the company to health.

The theory that the attachment to real Coke was somehow psychological and not simply based on the fundamental superiority of the product is one of those 20/20 hindsight things, disproven, among other things, by the tremendous success when KO finally lauched a diet version of the real Coke, Coke Zero.

Mr Zabe
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Coke 2/ New Coke didn't taste bad. People just got angry that coke had changed something that had been around for a long time. With that in mind most people simply decided they were not going to like it, so they didn't. Someone here said Pepsi throwback is made with corn syrup. Is that true? Ditto, Coke 2 made it to my B list. I, like everyone else was super pissed that Coca Cola had the nerve to mess with the grand daddy of all Colas.