PDA

View Full Version : How long after "best by" date before soda goes flat?

jacksmom
11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm just curious about how long after the "best by" date on the bottom of the can before the soda loses its carbonation. I ask because I stocked up (seriously) on the three different flavors of Dewmocracy and it seems as if they are already going a little bit flat. I think the date on the bottom of the can said "best by Oct. 5" - it could just be me, though, since I like a lot of carbonation and I know Mtn. Dew generally has very little. :)

Mr Zabe
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
My arm chair thought is that if you store the cans in a cool place, like the basement floor or in the refrigerator, they will last a good deal longer. Actually in you case, have you thought of getting a gently used refrigerator to store your soda pops. Just like what some guys have in their man cave for beer.:)

Wally1912
11-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I've kept cans and glass bottles of sugar-sweetened soda in my cellar for almost 2 years and they have been fine.
Plastic bottles go flat after several months. I have found you might be able to keep those ok for close to a year, but you need to keep the bottles in a cold refrigerator all the time.
I don't drink diet sodas, but I have heard the chemicals in the sweeteners break down after a few months so they could possibly be pretty disgusting if you try to keep those in storage for longer periods of time.

Susan
11-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Funny you should ask. I still have about ten cans of Red Fusion and they expired in 2004. I had one with my dinner and it tasted as good as the day I bought them. I kid you not.

XLS_04
11-06-2010, 01:32 AM
they say

9 months for regular soda in cans
3 months for diet sodas in cans because of chemicals

1 year regular in glass

3 months both regular and diet in plastic bottles.

I have had regular soda 2 years old and its still tasted good though in both cans and glass bottles.

UncleBob
11-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Funny you should ask. I still have about ten cans of Red Fusion and they expired in 2004. I had one with my dinner and it tasted as good as the day I bought them. I kid you not.

Please mail me one of these... I do miss Red Fusion... :(

jacksmom
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks - I'm storing the cans in my basement right now. Hopefully that will help them stay cool through the winter, although I think the summer heat may have already gotten to them. :(