PDA

View Full Version : mello yello zero

cokeman19
12-07-2010, 01:15 AM
i tried it the other day. a couple of promo bottles were around and i got one. it really was not good. it was very diet tasting and had a pretty bad aftertaste. i drink diet coke most of the time so it's not the diet vs sugar thing for me. i hope other people like it better. not sure of the launch date maybe somebody else knows. i thought the bottle graphics were very good.

Dewman1979
12-07-2010, 05:12 AM
i tried it the other day. a couple of promo bottles were around and i got one. it really was not good. it was very diet tasting and had a pretty bad aftertaste. i drink diet coke most of the time so it's not the diet vs sugar thing for me. i hope other people like it better. not sure of the launch date maybe somebody else knows. i thought the bottle graphics were very good.

Bummer. That is what makes Diet Dew so good. No more aftertaste. Why can't they make MY like they do CZ?

SodaFan16
12-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I really want to try this out.

mjb1124
12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
If I hadn't just recently decided to quit diet soda, I'd be really excited about this. Good to know that the reviews so far indicate I won't be missing much. Then again, a lot of people complained about MD Ultra Violet's aftertaste, and I liked that one.

Any pics?

nothingmorethanlife
12-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Currently the release date for "Mello Yello Zero" is April 2, 2011. I know you want a picture, but branding will change before the product hits the general public, so it won't help you that much. Nonetheless, though I can't upload a picture, I can tell you...

The "Mello Yello Zero" bottle prototype currently looks like its regular-calorie counterpart (Google Image Result for http://popsop.com/wp-content/uploads/mello_yello_retro_01.jpg (http://bit.ly/hdzGx9)) but instead of a yellow background with green limes, it is a light gray background with pastel yellow limes - definitely a "mellow" label. Bottle color remains the same.

~Some guy who works at Coca-Cola

joshal1980
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I can not wait until this is released in the Wisconsin area. We have seen great sales of Mello Yello since they reintroduced it this year. I hope Mello Yello Zero does not have the same fate as Vault Zero. I really liked Vault Zero until the time we could only get it in 12 pks. I want to see a great marketing program to try to go after Diet Dew.

cokeman19
12-23-2010, 09:37 AM
i could be wrong about the taste. First of all i drink regular mello yello once in a while and i love it. maybe i'm comparing the diet to the regular. sometimes a first taste really shows the diet flavor too much. i think a couple more tries and it would have grown on me. my daughter loved the taste. i agree that it should be advertised a lot along w/ regular mello.

CitrusCola
12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
With Mello Yello Zero hitting the markets and with Sun-Drop going national, I wonder if there will be a noticeable impact on sales of Mtn. Dew.

SodaFan16
12-23-2010, 03:25 PM
With Mello Yello Zero hitting the markets and with Sun-Drop going national, I wonder if there will be a noticeable impact on sales of Mtn. Dew.

Hopefully they won't. :)

Dewman1979
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM

No chance. Kids buy MT Dew on brand alone.

Mr Zabe
12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree. MD is a stand alone brand that has a cult like following.
Lemon lime sodapops of any brand or marketing would not
eat into MD's market share.

Dewman1979
12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree. MD is a stand alone brand that has a cult like following.
Lemon lime sodapops of any brand or marketing would not
eat into MD's market share.

you mean "Citrus flavored Soda". Lemon Lime=clear pop like Sprite/7-up/Sierra Mist

And BTW. As soon as both MY and Sun Drop get into cans I will buy all the and put them in my fridge.

fusion
12-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Sundrop and Mello Yello are obviously not going to cut into the core Dew drinkers, they are the most loyal soda drinkers out there. But those who like a little variety may be willing to try Sundrop or MY. Plus, this could force Pepsi to lower their prices (at least temporarily) to compete with any introductory pricing from either of the newcomers, a win-win situation for everyone.

Transplanted Southerners who grew up on Sundrop or Mello Yello will be delighted when they can easily find them at their local stores, rather than have to haul cases back from their hometowns.

It will be interesting to see if Sundrop catches on in other parts of the country, and how much of a push the bottlers put behind it. I'm sure DPSBG will be pushing it, since they're company owned, but the indies may be a bit more reluctant to put a lot of money behind the brand. Plus, at least around here, Honickman Canada Dry has virtually no vending machines, and very few standalone coolers in large stores. Their IC (immediate consumption) strength seems to be mostly in stores like 7-11.

They also need to make sure the brand is included on every display, with plenty of exposure, and couponing to attract new buyers. I'd like to see the brand stick around, and eventually see cherry lemon. I have a feeling they may only launch Sundrop at first, maybe that and diet...

Mello Yello still on track for an early/mid February nationwide rollout. Unfortunately, MYZ has been pushed back to early April.

On a similarly but unrelated note, ginger ale fans should start seeing Seagram's in about two weeks, if it's not in their area already. 1/8 is the big handover date, where CCR gives up Schweppes, Squirt, Cactus Cooler, and Canada Dry (except in the NE for CD, and Seagram's gets rolled out companywide (except for the NE, where Polar has it).

Themaster73
12-25-2010, 02:31 AM
My Coke Rewards coupons are still promoting Vault. Mello Yello still not really benefitting from being in MCR yet.

Can Mello Yello even make a blip with Mountain Dew Throwback sticking around for a while? That has its own set of loyal drinkers (Dew and anti HFCS two huge markets).

Coke already has Seagrams in NY. too bad during Passover it is at a disadvantage to both Canada Dry and Schweppes (which should really place their KP drinks in 2L bottles instead of the expensive 1L bottles).

joshal1980
12-25-2010, 04:18 PM
In Wisconsin, CCR is getting Seagrams after the first of the year. Pepsi is getting Schweppes and Dr. Pepper/Snapple are getting Canada Dry. Pepsi and Dr. Pepper/Snapple are just switching brands.

cokeman19
12-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Which ginger ale is the most popular?

fusion
12-27-2010, 01:17 AM
My best guess would be Canada Dry.

Mr Zabe
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I agree. Canada Dry sells pretty well at least from my limited observation.

cokeman19
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
i think the bottom half of the bottle will be black to relate to coke zero a bit.

i saw a picture of the bottle but the picture was so small it's hard to tell. i think it's coming out in may.

jl1718
04-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I had heard that it was pushed back further in the summer. Some area's really wanted to roll it out in schools before school was out. The last time frame I heard was well past that, was told there was some reformulating going on, not sure how accurate that is, just what I had heard.

Haven't heard anything new about a fanta grape zero that was suppose to roll out in a similar time frame as well.

CitrusCola
04-04-2011, 07:10 AM
I also heard that the formula for MYZ had to be "tweaked" before it could be released. I did notice that it's now listed on the My Coke Rewards site.

Dewman1979
04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
looking forward to it. Coke "zero" brands are outstanding.

Dewman1979
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
wow at the black labeling...

Mello Yello ZERO | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/MelloYelloZero)
http://www.lehighvalleycoke.com/images/melloyellozero-20oz.jpg

cokeman19
04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
nice picture. that's what i saw in much smaller form. cut that label in half and it's a coke zero.

Mr Zabe
04-04-2011, 11:39 PM
I like the concept of the Zero branding logo, I'm just not digging the contrast of the fresh looking lemon/lime fruit against the black zero logo. IMO, that label does not have much visual appeal. It's too "in my face" harsh,even it was designed for the male demographic.

cokeman19
04-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I got a test bottle a while ago and the label was a lot different. It does look like they are going with the coke zero theme. I didn't think MYzero was targeting a male audience.

Dewman1979
04-14-2011, 04:04 AM
I still have not seen this anywhere.

fusion
04-16-2011, 12:46 AM
You can stop looking, at least for now. It's only out in the eastern half of the country, and I haven't heard anything about a western rollout.

mcmannors
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM
You can stop looking, at least for now. It's only out in the eastern half of the country, and I haven't heard anything about a western rollout.

I still haven't seen it in New Jersey as of yet...

SodaFan16
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
It's not in Chicago.

Dewman1979
04-17-2011, 10:23 PM

boo, hiss.

joshal1980
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
It should be in Chicago, because we have it here in Wisconsin and Chicago is in the Central Business Unit. We had it out the first week it was available here.

SodaFan16
04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
It should be in Chicago, because we have it here in Wisconsin and Chicago is in the Central Business Unit. We had it out the first week it was available here.

Haven't seen it at all in the major stores here.

parn
04-20-2011, 11:55 PM
It's in Richmond, VA at sheetz

fusion
04-28-2011, 11:25 PM
boo, hiss.

update: looks like mid-June at the earliest for your area.

mjb1124
04-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I still haven't seen it in New Jersey as of yet...

I haven't seen MY Zero in NJ yet either, but I did see coupons for MY that included a picture of Zero. Go figure.

Dewman1979
04-30-2011, 05:54 AM
update: looks like mid-June at the earliest for your area.

Will look for it then. In the meantime I will rock out to Dt Dew, Dt Dew Supernova, and Dt SD.

I love variety.