PDA

View Full Version : Letter From Coca-Cola

jackinbox
12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
About 2 months ago, I mailed a letter to Coca-Cola explaining to them that I have been a Coke fan my entire life, but I no longer will purchase products with HFCS. I mentioned that I had purchased numerous cases of Pepsi Throwback and that I would like to see Coke offer a comparable product. Yes, I am aware of Mexican Coke, but it's far too costly to consume consistently.

I received their response in today's mail:

Thank you for contacting us here at The Coca-Cola Company.

It may interest you to know that the majority of Coca-Cola bottlers use HFCS. This decision is typically based on availability and cost. The only sparkling product made with sugar/sucrose would be Coca-Cola from Mexico and it is only available in certain regions.

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a sweetener derived from corn. The mixture we use in our soft drinks is very similar to liquid sucrose and is comprised of approximately half glucose (45%) and fructose (55%).

Regarding change from HFCS to sucrose, there may have been some speculation in the media about this ingredient change. However, The Coca-Cola Company has no plans to switch to sucrose. We thank you for your interest.

If you have additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
Pamela Teamer-Yisrael
Manager
Product Quality Services
The Coca-Cola Company

So, it would seem that Coke is not looking to compete with Pepsi Throwback. That's fine. Pepsi will get my money instead of Coke.

fusion
12-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Throwback is a blip on the soda radar. I am sure you're aware that the current production equipment at most plants can't even produce product with sugar, that's why it's shipped from such long distances in many instances. Here, we get stuff from Piscataway NJ and Wytheville VA. I've even seen Sierra Mist Natural from Detroit. It would require a huge capital investment to add the capability to the production plants.

Do you realize that Throwback is produced with sugar from genetically modified sugar beets? Not slamming it, but the halo you're putting around it may be a bit tilted.

Not to mention you're one state away from sucrose Coke. The Cleveland Coke bottling plant makes their colas with sucrose.

Perhaps there will be a day when the sugar quotas are lifted, and the tariffs are lowered, and cheaper sugar from central and south America flows into this country. But not if the lobbyists have anything to do with it. And it's a shame, since in Brazil, cars run on sugar ethanol.

lordmadone
12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Throwback has been doing VERY well mind you and so much so that it will be a PERMANENT extension starting next year. It has helped without cannabilizing current Pepsi-cola sales. This is a perfect example of Pepsi giving people what they want and not just dragging our feet. Coke lacks the variety that Pepsi has which has kept us very relevant in the market and we have the ability to see what people like as opposed to our competitor.

I am curious about this claimed "modified beet" remark and to my knowledge it is made with regular granular sugar AND beet sugar. Even still to what extent.. and unless you yourself are an organic only person..then you expose yourself to genetically modified stuff all the time. Vegetables..meats..etc etc.

bigrich
12-23-2010, 02:18 AM
If Pepsi would put Citric Acid in Pepsi Throwback, I would never drink another Coke. Throwback just does not taste right without it. I stock up on KP Pepsi every year and it is much tastier then throwback.

Themaster73
12-23-2010, 02:43 AM
If Pepsi would put Citric Acid in Pepsi Throwback, I would never drink another Coke. Throwback just does not taste right without it. I stock up on KP Pepsi every year and it is much tastier then throwback.

Problem, many Coke drinkers (and other non Pepsi drinkers) like Pepsi Throwback, putting in Citric Acid may hurt Throwback sales.

I would like to see Pepsi have both sugar formulas out, same with Mountain Dew (bringing back the original to co exist with the current).

jackinbox
12-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Throwback is a blip on the soda radar. I am sure you're aware that the current production equipment at most plants can't even produce product with sugar, that's why it's shipped from such long distances in many instances. Here, we get stuff from Piscataway NJ and Wytheville VA. I've even seen Sierra Mist Natural from Detroit. It would require a huge capital investment to add the capability to the production plants.If Pepsi can do it, then there's no reason Coke can't. It may be a blip on the radar, but I can tell you that the stuff sells out quickly just about everywhere. It's hard to sell something when it's difficult to find. Even during the peak of throwback, some stores would get a handful of 12-packs and then wouldn't have any more for a week.

Do you realize that Throwback is produced with sugar from genetically modified sugar beets? Not slamming it, but the halo you're putting around it may be a bit tilted.I'm not saying it's perfect, but it tastes a hell of a lot better and I've yet to see a study about sugar beets like this:

Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain (http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/)

Not to mention you're one state away from sucrose Coke. The Cleveland Coke bottling plant makes their colas with sucrose.I know, but that's a 5 hour drive. If it were Dayton or Cincy, that would be doable.

Perhaps there will be a day when the sugar quotas are lifted, and the tariffs are lowered, and cheaper sugar from central and south America flows into this country. But not if the lobbyists have anything to do with it. And it's a shame, since in Brazil, cars run on sugar ethanol.If they can be profitable in Cleveland and Allentown with sugar, why is it not economically feasible in the rest of the country?

Themaster73
12-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Coke should bring back Coke II and use sucrose in that instead.

Throwback is a different formula from KP Pepsi so if Coke were to do a sugar version they might as well use it to relaunch Coke II as an alternative.

Coke II's formula on paper looks like regular Coke (same ingredients), so it is also different from Diet Coke (which has Citric Acid)

CitrusCola
12-23-2010, 07:23 PM
jackinbox, you could also look for places that sell RC Cola and/or Red Rock Cola bottled in West Jefferson, NC. Both of those colas are made with "real sugar."

CitrusCola
12-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Here's why soft drink companies use corn syrup instead of sugar:

CARPE DIEM: Sugar Tariffs Cost Americans $2.5 Billion in 2009 (http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/01/sugar-tariffs-cost-americans-25-billion.html)