PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Drinks

CitrusCola
12-23-2010, 08:23 PM
One of my family members recently asked me, "what happened to Brownie Chocolate Drink?" I knew that it used to be really common around this area up until a few years ago. The last time I recall seeing it was in 2006 or 2007 when I bought some for my daughter.

After doing some checking, I found that Dr Pepper Snapple Group, which owns Yoohoo Chocolate Drink, has also acquired the rights to many once-popular chocolate drinks (including Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Soldier, and Cho-Cola) and phased them out in favor of Yoohoo. Does anyone know when and how DPSG was able to get all of these chocolate drinks (and a virtual monopoly on that flavor line)?

You can look at the drop-down menu on the Yoohoo contact page and see some of the discontinued brands:

Contact Us (http://www.econsumeraffairs.com/am_bev/contactus.htm?F1=drinkyoo-hoo&F2=Yoo-Hoo)

BottleBoss
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't know when, but I know how=
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

boodoo
12-24-2010, 01:02 PM
I seem to recall that before DPSG, the company that owned Yoo Hoo also owned Chocolate Soilder. They had 2 production facilities where both brands were produced, one in Hialeah FL and one in Opolusas, LA. I ran into a guy once who worked at the Opolusas plant, and he told me they were the same formula. It seems to me the Yoo Hoo was a bit sweeter though.

CitrusCola
12-27-2010, 10:53 PM
It just seems a bit odd to me that the FTC allowed a single company to get so many of the established chocolate drink brands. Usually in mergers and/or acquisitions, companies are allowed to keep just one of the products of a particular type -- especially if there are no other major competitors for that product in the marketplace. They are usually forced to sell the rights to all but one of the established brands to other companies.

Theynine
04-18-2011, 02:45 AM
One word on chocolate drinks, YUCK!Isnt YooHoo just a bottle of chocolate water? Dont get it.

thejax
04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
One, I don't get what this op don't get about Yoohoo. Yes chocolate water doesn't make sense but for some reason Yoohoo tastes great! Chocolate Water Ice on the other hand, does not work for me.

Two, you mention about this other chocolate drink that has been phased out in favor oh Yoohoo. Honestly I never heard of this chocolate drink and wish I would of tried it, even if one op says its similar to Yoohoo. May I continue to remind everyone about Hires Root Beer? Who owns it now? DPSG. Where did it go?

Hires? Oh Hires? Where are you?
Hi, I am A&W, I am also bottled by DPSG. I am the same!
No, no you are not. We want Hires back.
Thats nice, anyway, about A&W.

LOL!!

sublimecitrus
04-23-2011, 01:34 PM
I remember that a while ago, I heard a rumour from someone who was higher at the local Coca-Cola "bottling" plant that Coca-Cola was testing chocolate coke. I can't imagine how that would've tasted.

Cherry-Chocolate Diet Dr. Pepper was out for a bit too, and that stuff was nasty... and this is coming from someone who loves Dr. Pepper.

And I also remember that Yoohoo was available in Canada for a really short time in the early 2000s... I didn't mind it, but I don't think it was really popular up north.