PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Next

Tannerman
12-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone... I had a reader drop me an e-mail today that said the following: "I've just completed a screening for a market research company which next week is going to send me 3 cans of something called "Pepsi Next". Do you know anything about this drink?"

He provided the image that was used in the research study:

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_pepsinext1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2010/12/30/pepsi-next/)

Of note is the text found in the PowerPoint slide (http://www.bevreview.com/2010/12/30/pepsi-next/):
Introducing Pepsi Next. The first soda to successfully bring together deliciously refreshing cola taste with less of the ingredients that you are trying to avoid.

That's because after years of trial, Pepsi experts have finally discovered the perfect blend of ingredients that allow you to have delicious taste with half the sugar and calories.

Is this Pepsi Edge/Coke C2 all over again?

Android
12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Interesting. With 60 calories I'd say it's probably another Edge type drink. I liked Edge, actually. So if this comes out I'll probably at least try it.
-Andy

Pepsiman
12-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I guess it's being called Pepsi Next because this will be the next failed product from Pepsi.

fusion
12-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I could be wrong, but I call bull**** on this one.

SodaFan16
12-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I would love to see this in stores.

Themaster73
12-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Could be another Sprite Green...

mofizz
12-31-2010, 04:01 PM
This might be Pepsi's first experiment with sweetner enhancers. Less sugar, but enhanced with some sort of chemical/extract that makes it taste like full calorie. Thought I saw somthing about this awhile back.

I wouldn't call BS quite yet.

Dewman1979
12-31-2010, 07:30 PM
I would love a halved calorie Mountain dew.

cokeman19
12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Based on that image the only real information the customer has is that it's a Pepsi product and the government label says sixty calories. I would think it would say "Made with stevia" or something like that on the product.

BTW: Is it me or does Pepsi One look stupid with the old logo????

Android
12-31-2010, 09:41 PM
I was also thinking that - if it was Stevia it would have said something about it in that other writeup as well.

Pepsi One looks out of step with the rest, but I'm still glad to have the old logo out there in some fashion. It's also the only Pepsi product I buy currently. (but not because of the logo) As time goes by, the fact that they still haven't updated those graphics makes me think it's more and more likely to be on the chopping block, unfortunately.

-Andy

newCOKEcanuck
12-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I loved Pepsi Edge and they nailed the taste not to mention sales were so good in canada that i think they kicked it off the shelves just months after release because of the price of splenda sweetner, if you look a lot of soda's in 2006 and 2007 went to splenda and by 2008 they dropped splenda. Not as much profits were made and i think regular tasting pepsi sales, were being canabilized by their own competing product. I am against all diet sodas but if they are using cane sugars or real sugars and not any HFCS in combination with stevia i might try it but i am leary on another sweetner as i cannot diagest splenda properly. I hope it is something real and revolutionary based on sugar and not chemicals. I liked the sweetness of pepsi edge and it kind of reminded me of new coke from the 80's, if pepsi next has a taste near or like that i will be in heaven. I do drink limited amounts of regular canadian pepsi due to it containing at least 50% regular sugar or more and the rest you know what. I imagine they will be using the Superbowl to kick this off? Anyone know more?

Android
01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I cannot digest splenda properly.

Uh, I thought that was the point of Splenda - it is something the body could NOT digest and thus, has no calories.

Themaster73
01-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Pepsi Wild Cherry 3 liter still has the old logo. Pepsi Throwback has an even older logo.

Themaster73
01-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Sweetener enhancer is most likely, under "Artificial Flavors" or "Natural Flavors" taste buds will be chemically altered to that the soda will seem just as sweet with half the sugar or HFCS (or both since regular Pepsi is now a mix of HFCS and sugar)

BevNET.com: PepsiCo Has Entered A Four-Year Agreement with Senomyx to Develop Low-Calorie Sweetners (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2010/8-17-2010-Senomyx-PepsiCo-Sweetners)

'Secretive' Chemicals Being Hidden in Food Under 'Artificial Flavors' Label (http://www.naturalnews.com/022982.html)

Senomyx has contracted with Kraft, Nestle, Coca Cola, Campbell Soup to put a chemical in foods that masks bitter flavors by turning off bitter flavor receptors on the tongue and enhancing salty and sweet flavors. This would allow the companies to tout claims such as "less sugar" or "lower sodium" by reducing the actual sugar and/or salt by approximately half, but the foods will retain the same level of sweetness or saltiness when they touch the tongue by fooling your brain.

No stevia required so this will be different from Edge in a way, your taste buds will be altered to make the soda seem sweeter. More chemicals....

Android
01-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Pepsi Throwback has an even older logo.

...of course, but isn't that the point? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

Sweetener enhancer - yeah probably a good bet. With diet drinks it's long been customary to blend sweeteners as many have found to be synergistic - a proper blend of two make for an apparant sweetness stronger than either one individually. Sounds like they've come up with something that works acceptably well with sucrose or HFCS. Be interesting to see what they end up labelling it as.

Themaster73
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
...of course, but isn't that the point? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

Sweetener enhancer - yeah probably a good bet. With diet drinks it's long been customary to blend sweeteners as many have found to be synergistic - a proper blend of two make for an apparant sweetness stronger than either one individually. Sounds like they've come up with something that works acceptably well with sucrose or HFCS. Be interesting to see what they end up labelling it as.

This will be labeled "Artificial Flavors" and it won't have to be labeled by itself. Pure stevia is good, Truvia and Purevia can cause health problems in some people. Same with Sucralose (Splenda) and aspartame. This is anything but Natural.
Mixing sugar with pure stevia (not like Sprite Green which uses Truvia) is the way to go.

cokeman19
01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
If they are messing with your tongue and brain don't you think most people will say wtf? Maybe I'm wrong but I use hfcs, aspartame, ace-k and don't think twice about it. On the other hand they don't confuse my tongue and brain into thinking it's sweeter than it is. Don't you think people will object to this as really safe and will lawsuits be a norm????

CitrusCola
01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
This will be labeled "Artificial Flavors" and it won't have to be labeled by itself. Pure stevia is good, Truvia and Purevia can cause health problems in some people. Same with Sucralose (Splenda) and aspartame. This is anything but Natural.
Mixing sugar with pure stevia (not like Sprite Green which uses Truvia) is the way to go.

Both Truvia and Purevia are extracts from the stevia plant. They are essentially the same thing. They can be labeled as "all natural" because they are extracted from the stevia plant instead of being produced in a chemical reaction pot.

The use of these "all natural" claims is just a marketing gimmick.

Maybe the Pepsi people have found a co-sweetner that will mask the nasty bitter aftertaste that goes with stevia extract.

Mr Zabe
01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Organic or not, if it's tested over a period of time and deemed safe, big deal.
Look at the Coke or Pepsi ingredients.

taestell
01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Sweetener enhancer is most likely, under "Artificial Flavors" or "Natural Flavors" taste buds will be chemically altered to that the soda will seem just as sweet with half the sugar or HFCS (or both since regular Pepsi is now a mix of HFCS and sugar)

BevNET.com: PepsiCo Has Entered A Four-Year Agreement with Senomyx to Develop Low-Calorie Sweetners (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2010/8-17-2010-Senomyx-PepsiCo-Sweetners)

No stevia required so this will be different from Edge in a way, your taste buds will be altered to make the soda seem sweeter. More chemicals....

Watch out. That sound like exactly how MSG works ("turns up" your taste buds).