PDA

View Full Version : Hires Root Beer - Incase you didn't notice

thejax
01-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I been purchasing Hires Root Beer for some time and now its literally non-existent.

Its one of the oldest root beers in the USA and hails from Philadelphia, where I am from.

Several years ago Dr Pepper / 7up decided slow the production of Hires by enticing bottlers to bottle A&W with kickbacks. This is all to precede with a master plan to phase out Hires.

I have done months of research and I cannot find a bottler anywhere in the USA that still bottles it anymore. I called Dr Pepper / Snapple's corporate offices several times. They tell me its still being produced. I requested a list of where its being bottled and everytime I give them my info they have my local bottler call me with no information except they do not bottle it.

I have wrote a letters to Dr Pepper / 7up and to Cadbury / Shweppes requesting information on where this LICENSED to be bottles and where. I sent both letters certified. Both letters were signed for yet months later I still have no response.

My conclusion is Dr Pepper / Snapple are basically trying to get everyone to forget about so when they stop licensing to bottle it, no one is supposed to notice. Then they can focus on their A&W Brand, which is significantly different.

So my question is, at what point are we going to stop allowing these soda giants to do this to us. They bought Hires on purpose to phase it out. Now how do we bring this to light. Should or can we do anything about it?

Dr Pepper / Snapple will not allow me to have any access whatsoever to any corporate execs to ask them to make a motion to start producing more Hires. So what do we do???

fusion
01-01-2011, 10:35 AM
This is the BevBoard, not Conspiracy Theories.

Things come and go. People's tastes change. And so on...

Hires is still alive and well, just not around here. There was a distributor in Phoenixville (Superior Beverages) that carried it, but they went out of business a few years ago. They delivered to the greater Philadelphia area, northern Delaware, southern New Jersey.

Now, the closest distributor is in the Baltimore/DC area. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of presence because they don't do a lot of business, and most stores won't even bother with them.

If you're willing to travel a little, most Weis Markets locations should have Hires. Or, travel a little further... In North Carolina, there are a lot of independent Pepsi bottlers/distributors, and many of them carry A&W as their root beer, not Mug. So, the other bottlers carry Hires. It's produced by Independent Beverage in Charlotte NC.

thejax
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Can you verify this information?

And I am not trying to start a conspiracy. My assumption comes from information obtained by contacting the corporations, bottlers, and local stores in several markets.

I have done my extensive homework.

If what you say is true, is your information up to date? (Jan 2011)

I have already spoke to Superior recently (12/14/2010) and they haven't bottled it for some time.

There is a lot of "I think" and "Could Be's" on BevNet. I am very happy you offered your knowledge on the matter but I request you post verified information. I will contact Independent Beverage that you have mentioned on the next business day to VERIFY your post. I will post accordingly to the validity of your information.

If you are correct this would make me very happy. Thanks for your time.

CitrusCola
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Independent Beverage does indeed bottle hires, but it's not sold around here (NC Piedmont area) anymore. I've seen 2L bottles in the Myrtle Beach area in SC in the past couple of years.

If you read this article, you'll see that Hires Root Beer was one of the brands that the company wanted to revitalize, but Sundrop was chosen instead:

Dr Pepper Snapple to Expand Sun Drop Soda - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704447604576007841967430316.html)

DPSG owns the rights to lots of drinks, and they seem to want to settle for one in each flavor. (I recently started a thread about how they have phased out several chocolate drinks in favor of just Yoohoo.) They phased out Upper 10 in favor of 7 Up, Kick in favor of Sundrop, etc.

drpep
01-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Hey CitrusCola, I hope you verified your info before posting :)

CitrusCola
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I guess I should have cited references, huh? :D

Actually, my brother is a big fan of Hires and he always wants me to look for it whenever I go out of town.

thejax
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Independent Beverage does indeed bottle hires, but it's not sold around here (NC Piedmont area) anymore. I've seen 2L bottles in the Myrtle Beach area in SC in the past couple of years.

If you read this article, you'll see that Hires Root Beer was one of the brands that the company wanted to revitalize, but Sundrop was chosen instead:

Dr Pepper Snapple to Expand Sun Drop Soda - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704447604576007841967430316.html)

DPSG owns the rights to lots of drinks, and they seem to want to settle for one in each flavor. (I recently started a thread about how they have phased out several chocolate drinks in favor of just Yoohoo.) They phased out Upper 10 in favor of 7 Up, Kick in favor of Sundrop, etc.

I did not read the article. I did a thread search for Hires and I did not notice this thread. Thanks for the great info!

In regards to SunDrop, I would like to add that I spoke to a rep from DPSG in Ocala last week (between Christmas and New Years 2010) and the person I spoke to did tell me they will start carrying SunDrop in the next month or two.

:)

thejax
01-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I guess I should have cited references, huh? :D

Actually, my brother is a big fan of Hires and he always wants me to look for it whenever I go out of town.

Hey Cirtus, if I happen to track a 12 pack down, I will drop one off for you free of charge. :)

I want to say I am sorry if I came off the way I did. This is just text. My goal is to keep Hires moving and I am very passionate about the soda. If you and your brother like Hires as much as I do, I would be more than happy to share the wealth once I locate it. :)

fusion
01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Can you verify this information?

And I am not trying to start a conspiracy. My assumption comes from information obtained by contacting the corporations, bottlers, and local stores in several markets.

I have done my extensive homework.

If what you say is true, is your information up to date? (Jan 2011)

I have already spoke to Superior recently (12/14/2010) and they haven't bottled it for some time.

There is a lot of "I think" and "Could Be's" on BevNet. I am very happy you offered your knowledge on the matter but I request you post verified information. I will contact Independent Beverage that you have mentioned on the next business day to VERIFY your post. I will post accordingly to the validity of your information.

If you are correct this would make me very happy. Thanks for your time.

I can verify my information. I work in the beverage industry, and am in a variety of stores on a constant basis. I pretty much know who distributes what in the area I work in, plus some adjacent areas. Outside of that, I am fairly knowledgeable.

Obviously, you can walk to any corner store, and get a Coke, or a Pepsi, or a Mountain Dew. But the smaller brands are a real challenge sometimes. People will travel out of (or move out of) the area they live in, and expect to find them just as easily. I've had people ask me for things that are only sold in the south, or have been discontinued, or whatever.

When looking for the smaller brands, usually you have to get out there and do the legwork yourself. Making phone calls is generally a waste of time. Or, read up on someone's roadtrip report. I take very specific notes, the store location, odd things I found, and so on. I usually try to hit at least a few c-stores and a few grocery stores in an area to get a good feel for what is sold there. Not every store carries the exact same items. Of course, you will hit a lot of dead ends, get frustrated, waste gas, and so on, but it's so worth it when you hit that jackpot - a rare item that you can't help but spend $30 on to stock up.

The closest Weis Market location to me is in Havre De Grace, MD, and I know they carry Hires that is bottled by Independent. They also carry Vernors Ginger Ale. If I have time this week after work, I'll shoot down there and take you a picture, for proof. Independent's production code is NC, and the distributor is Beverage Network of Maryland. They have Vernors at the Redner's Warehouse Market in Elkton, MD, but not Hires. This is their website (they are a subsidiary of Global Beverage Solutions of FL).

{{{ GBVS.OB : Global Beverage Solutions, Inc. }}} (http://www.globalbeveragesolutions.com/)

It's a real shame about Superior. I really liked their lineup - they brought up Cheerwine, Sundrop, Diet Rite flavors, West Jefferson longnecks, Crush (pre-Pepsi), Hires, and other small brands. But in these days of companies paying big dollar to buy shelf space, small guys like Superior have a hard time competing. I also was friends with one of the salesman, Sammy, and we used to talk beverages a lot. They used to carry Hires longnecks, I remember them at the Super Fresh in Chichester (now a Pathmark, from what I hear). I think they came from Polar Beverages? Can't remember for sure.

As for the Pepsi bottlers in NC, here is one of the larger ones - Minges. As you can see, they carry Pepsi, Mist & Dew, and everything else is a DPS product.

Welcome to Minges Bottling Group Inc. (http://www.mbgpepsi.com/)

I've always wanted to run a specialty beverage distributor, like realsoda.com. But I realize that is a really tough market to crack into. So the second option would be a retail store, like Galco's, Marcel's (rip), Homer Soda Company, and so on. Unfortunately, that would also require a lot of startup money. And then there was the issue of the deposit law here in Delaware, which was thankfully recently repealed. Maybe if I hit the lottery, lol.

I wish the poster Cheer-Wined was still around here, he lives in NC, and could offer a lot of good information.

I will keep my eye out for any Hires in PA or DE, but I'm not holding our much hope (other than the Weis stuff). I know that Abarta Coke in Bethlehem PA used to co-pack 6 packs, but I don't think they do so anymore. I do know they produce 12 packs of DPS produces for Davis Beverage in nearby Allentown, but not Hires.

drpep
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
thejax, try this phone number, 570-547-0777. It is the Montgomery, PA branch of Davis Beverage. I found it on google so I can not verify it is correct. I am guessing they are the source of the Hires Root Beer I've found in Tioga and Lycoming counties from 2006-early 2010. I have not looked for Hires nor been in any of the stores that I've purchased Hires at since early 2010 so I'm not sure if it is still around.
You can also do an internet search for the phone number of Scot's Lo Cost near Williamsport, PA; might be Muncy. They are one of the places that had 12 packs as of fall 2009. I'm not sure if the are still a Scot's or recently converted to Weis.
Maybe, if the weather is decent I may venture into PA Sunday and have a look around but if I do see Hires it will be single serve but at least that would be proof Hires is still in northern PA.

drpep
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh yea, to back up what Fusion said, phone calls to stores are usually waste of time. The employee either has no clue what you want or is to busy/lazy to check the beverage aisle. Also he mentioned reading trip reports posted on this site but I've found that trip finds I reported one year are gone the next so there is no guarantee that a Hires spotting in 2007 is still valid in 2011.

CitrusCola
01-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Hires used to be available in some spots in and around Concord, NC. I believe it was distributed by Sundrop of Concord:

Sundrop (http://www.drinksundrop.com/home.html)

You could send them an email and ask about it.

I could find it in some spots in that area up until 2006 or 2007, but I've not seen it again since then. The only place I've found it in the last year or so was in a Kroger in N. Myrtle Beach.

fusion: I wish there were distributors and/or outlet stores for the smaller soda brands. The deck is stacked against any new competition for the major brands.

Pepper Doc
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I believe I spoke with you the other day. I did see it at Fareway grocery store. You could try calling their corporate office in Boone, Iowa. Sorry I do not have the number.

Dewman1979
01-02-2011, 03:50 AM
I can get hires around here.

drpep
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM
I ventured out today to Wellsboro, PA where I had seen Hires in 2 liter bottles at Weis in 2008 and found nothing. Went on down to Blossburg, I don't believe they ever had Hires in town, and found nothing. Did not make it to Elkland where I had purchased a 20oz a year ago. Skipped Troy since the Red Hen sold out to Dandy Mini Mart and the odd sodas disappeared. Williamsport was another 45 miles so I skipped that.

thejax
01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Thank you for all your efforts The quest continues!

The first person to find it should get a card or piece of paper and put the date on it for the pic.

I will be making some calls tomorrow morning on leads from this post. It has to still be out there.

iowacity
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Fareway here in Iowa City has Hires. They also have Tahitian Treat.

CitrusCola
01-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I was in the Concord, NC area yesterday and I checked several places for Hires, but it was nowhere to be found. I asked one store owner who used to sell Hires about it, and he just said, "we can't get it anymore."

drpep
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
So your phone calls resulted in good news? Bad news?

fusion
01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, I am going to have to retract part of what I said - I finally made it to Weis today, and Hires is long gone (Vernors is still there, though). I even checked the vendor authorization book, and it wasn't listed under the vendor I mentioned. No idea if this applies to all stores, or just the ones serviced by that particular vendor.

BryanG
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
The place I always used to find it was at a little flea market called Camden Corner in Fruitland, MD. (south of Salisbury) But I guess it's been about a year since I stopped in. I might be down there Saturday. I know that the Canada Dry distributor is selling A&W, though, and I don't know where else they'd be getting it from.

TACBOT
01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Hires is still available in the Northwest (WA and OR) distributed by Columbia Beverages (see coldist.com). It is probably canned by Noel/Yakima Canning of Yakima, WA. While A&W is the preferred DPSG product by many stores, Hires is available in stores that carry a larger selection.:)

halloaaryn
01-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Hires is still available in the Northwest (WA and OR) distributed by Columbia Beverages (see coldist.com). It is probably canned by Noel/Yakima Canning of Yakima, WA. While A&W is the preferred DPSG product by many stores, Hires is available in stores that carry a larger selection.:)

Yep! Im in Seattle and its at most QFC and Fred Meyer stores.

halloaaryn
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Saw it Saturday night at WINCO FOODS in Kent, WA. Almost bought some but I loaded up on Pepsi Throwback instead :P>

hitokage
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I came across this thread just yesterday, and decided to register to say I've seen it. I saw some early this morning in 2-liter bottles at the Weis in Frederick, MD at 40 and Old Camp Rd. I've seen it twelve-packs before, but either they don't carry them at this location anymore, can't get them anymore, or I'm thinking of one of the other Weis stores I frequent in the area. The bottler information on the cap stated it was bottled by Independent Beverage Company of Charlotte, NC.

CitrusCola
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
thejax,

Did you ever find some Hires or get any additional information?

drpep
01-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I have no expectations of the original poster coming back.

Dewman1979
01-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Saw it Saturday night at WINCO FOODS in Kent, WA. Almost bought some but I loaded up on Pepsi Throwback instead :P>

That's where I see it, and I think Super walmart carries it as well.

Freddy's carries it, but their prices suck.

hitokage
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I was in Winchester, VA yesterday and both Walmarts there had it in 2-liter bottles - same bottler as the Weis stores I posted about previously.

Maybe it is a conspiracy, not from Dr Pepper/7Up, but from the dairy industry because they wanted the mustache thing to themselves.

Wally1912
01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Pepsi & Dr Pepper Snapple should partner to do with Hires what they previously did with Crush: replace an inferior Pepsi product, in this case Mug root beer, with a far better one, Hires.

mooseman
03-16-2011, 03:01 PM
wish i could find it up here around lansing/flint michigan :(

anakin65
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
wish i could find it up here around lansing/flint michigan :(

mooseman, it is available in 12 packs at Vg's in Burton!!!! $5.99....

thejax
04-16-2011, 04:12 AM
I am back.

I love how one of the ops didn't have faith in me to return.

Anyway I have been doing a lot of research on this and following this thread as information came in. After traveling to various locations and making phone calls, this is what I found.

1) Hires IS bottled by Independent Beverage out of NC. I was physically present in a Weis in Havre De Grace MD and found it (and bought 20 bottles). It is only available at Weis in the 2 Liter. There are sources on this forum that say it is also available up in the Winchester VA Area by Independent. I have no confirmed this but I will take this as fact until otherwise proven to be false. I have contacted Independent Beverage and spoke to a higher level manager. He basically told me flat out, they only bottle two liters. They will not bottle for any B2B sales that are LESS THAN A TRUCKLOAD. Meaning if you are a small store and maybe order more than a few cases (such as a Pallet or two) but less than a truckload, you can buy Hires through a retail outlet at wholesale. If you can't buy it wholesale from them because they will not offer to sell it to you wholesale, thats not our problem. They handle big business only with Hires.

2) The whole Iowa deal. Now to confirm with that gentleman, yes, i was the one you spoke to on the phone. He told me Hires was being produced in Iowa in cans and in contract to be delivered to be sold in Fareway Grocery Stores. I have not found this to be the case. The gentleman I spoke to seemed honest so I I do not doubt he felt he was telling me the truth. However, I made a trip up to Iowa as I had to ironically go up there on business this month. I stopped at nearly 10 Fareways off the I-29 (south of I-80), I-80, and in Cedar Rapids and Waterloo. Guess what? No Hires. I asked an employee in a few stores, not all. They scratched their heads and looked at me like they had no idea. I DID buy the Fastco Brand Root Beer for the hell of it at one of the stores and it was pretty good. So basically either Hires is still being produced by this bottler in Iowa and its only sold in the Fareways Stores I did not go in OR its no longer being bottled. When I contacted Fareway Corporate by phone, I asked them if they sold it in any of their stores and if so, who could i speak to in order to purchase it wholesale. The receptionist said she never heard of it. I made three calls. Each time directed to a different department. Each time sent to voice mail. Each time no returned call.

3) Washington State. I contacted the bottler you mentioned several times. Always spoke to the receptionist. Always asked her if they produced Hires and she said she never heard of it. Always directed to speak to the sales manager. Always sent to voice mail. Always never got a return call back. I called a few stores that were mentioned in the forum. The employees were either too busy or unknowledgable to neither confirm or deny its being sold. So since several ops mentioned in the forum its sold there and I cannot find otherwise, lets say yes. I believe the ops said its sold in cans. I would like more info on this. Maybe some pictures if possible of it being sold in the store.

4) I also once again, contacted DPSG. No one knows who I should talk to. I basically asked them, "I would like to sell Hires in my store. Who are the currently licensed bottlers in the USA that do this?" After several calls I finally got a girl who was brutally honest with, "Sir, I have no idea nor do I have the means to access that kind of information". So I basically ask them every time. "What if I AM a bottler that produces other things. Say I am an independent but I am already licensed to bottle several sodas like Big Red and Sun Drop or whatever. Just making a example. I am not a bottler but lets just say I am for the sake of this conversation. I want to license Hires so I can produce it. What department in DPSG or Cadbury Schweppes do I speak to in order to get more information and start the paperwork? If I am a bottler and already am licensed to produce Hires and I need support, what department do i talk to? These are the departments I am loooking for who can probably give me the information I need". Every rep i speak to, no matter what department I try and find, no one has any clue. I tried contacting the Chief Operating Officer's Office. Their secretary also had no clue. I have came to the conclusion of either its not possible for a big company like this to have no idea what department licenses brands and they are just idiots OR they are so disorganized they REALLY don't know. With thinking the level of importance in knowing who is licensed to bottle what would be paramount, DPSG seems to not have a handle on it at all.

All and all I very much appreciate ALL your support on trying to find Hires and see what has happened. I hope this thread continues to be updated with information on where it is available and when it gets discontinued in other markets.

I think my questions are simple to DPSG. I want to sell Hires. How do I go about this. The local DPSG says 'We don't bottle it. Look out of market or contact DPSG. We can't help you. No kidding?

thejax
05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
I would like to know if anyone is willing to continue to contribute to this thread?

I am having a really hard time finding availability now in the Northwest (WA and OR). I would like to know if it is still being produced. In the past months calling stores in multiple markets in those areas and the bottlers directly has came up as no longer sold. Someone throw me bone here.

CitrusCola
05-14-2011, 12:29 PM
A friend of mine told me that Choice Beverages used to bottle Hires, but he didn't know if they still did. Have you checked with them?

Contact Us (http://www.sundropstuff.com/sun_drop_green_008.htm)

Dewman1979
05-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I would like to know if anyone is willing to continue to contribute to this thread?

I am having a really hard time finding availability now in the Northwest (WA and OR). I would like to know if it is still being produced. In the past months calling stores in multiple markets in those areas and the bottlers directly has came up as no longer sold. Someone throw me bone here.

Winco. Both kent and Federal way stores carry. As does the Super walmarts.

thejax
05-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Winco. Both kent and Federal way stores carry. As does the Super walmarts.

Great to hear. Any particular towns these stores are in I could contact to confirm? Thanks.

Dewman1979
05-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Great to hear. Any particular towns these stores are in I could contact to confirm? Thanks.

Kent and Federal way...

skylark68
05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Wish I could help. Kroger in the Houston area used to carry it a few years ago, but stopped around 2008 or so. They had 12 packs and 2 liters. No other grocer to my knowledge had it in the area. It is a superior root beer. The only one that I liked better is our local brewery (St. Arnold's) makes a wonderful root beer. They say they produce it at a loss just to be able to give kids something when they accompany their parents for brewery tours.

bigrich
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I bought 2-12 packs today At Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH. It was $6.99 a 12 pack. It is marked OT which is Ottumwa , IA (CADBURY SCHWEPPES BOTTLING GROUP). I hope this helps as it is still produced in Ottumwa.

fusion
05-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I occasionally service the Weis you mentioned, and I noticed not too long ago that the 2Ls moved into the Weis brand section, away from the section with PA Dutch/Vernors where it used to be.

It's a real shame that you've gotten the runaround from these companies.

I can't blame Independent for not doing LTL production. Disappointed that they stopped making it in cans, though.

A lot of dead ends on google. Sodafinder was the only site that had it..but $23 a 12 pack? I know he makes long road trips, but no idea where he got it at.

You might try RC Evansville (Indiana). They are one of the larger independent DPS distributors. It's not listed on their site, but maybe worth a shot?

RC Beverage Company of Evansville, Indiana - Royal Crown Cola Bottler (http://www.rcbeverage.com/)

thejax
05-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I bought 2-12 packs today At Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH. It was $6.99 a 12 pack. It is marked OT which is Ottumwa , IA (CADBURY SCHWEPPES BOTTLING GROUP). I hope this helps as it is still produced in Ottumwa.

bigrich, you are correct! Yet I have bad news about your find. I called them on 05/28/2011 and spoke to the grocery department. They said they has Four 12 packs left. I requested more info on their distributor and they said they get it from KeHe in Chicago.

Now, I didn't mention KeHe before on this post because I didn't think I needed to but here info. KeHe is a B2B distributor in Chicago. They do sell Hires. The problem is the bottler they receive inventory from discontinued Hires, I believe in August of 2010. Last time I spoke to a sales rep in the fall of 2010, they had plenty in stock. I believe 300 12-packs. However, the sales rep said once they are out, they are out. So basically, and this is just assuming, Jungle Jims will continue to order Hires from KeHe until Kehe's inventory on Hires is depleted. So..... if you are in Ohio then go get Hires now. They are almost out as of today and i am not sure if KeHe has any left. So there ya go.

THANK YOU SO MUCH DPSG CHICAGO FOR DISCONTINUING HIRES BY THE WAY!!

>:(

fusion
05-28-2011, 10:01 PM
KeHe has a warehouse in the greater Philadelphia area that supplies Acme stores - Supervalu wanted a single natural foods supplier, so they went with Kehe. Acme was previously supplied by Haddon House. No idea at all if they even carry Hires, but it might be worth a shot. ABARTA Coke in Bethlehem used to copack 6pk Hires (which Weis used to carry), but I'm assuming they stopped a long time ago. They do copack most of Davis Beverages' canned products (Davis only has a bottle line), though.

This is just a thought, and probably a very long shot, but maybe Orca would be interested in running some Hires? They run a nice selection of retro sodas (you can get them at Cracker Barrel, actually), and maybe they could be convinced to give Hires a try? I know I'd buy it if they produced it.

Orca Beverage Inc. A bottler and Distributor of Specialty Products (http://www.orcabeverage.com/orderinfo.html)

CitrusCola
09-19-2011, 05:54 AM
FWIW, I saw Hires Root Beer in a Lowe's Foods store in Morehead City over the weekend. They only had 2L bottles from Independent Beverages, but it was the first time I'd seen Hires being sold anywhere in quite a while.

bigrich
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Bought some last week at Jungle Jims again. It appears to be fresh and still being produced in Ottumwa, IA.

Skeet
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I been purchasing Hires Root Beer for some time and now its literally non-existent.

Its one of the oldest root beers in the USA and hails from Philadelphia, where I am from.

Several years ago Dr Pepper / 7up decided slow the production of Hires by enticing bottlers to bottle A&W with kickbacks. This is all to precede with a master plan to phase out Hires.

I have done months of research and I cannot find a bottler anywhere in the USA that still bottles it anymore. I called Dr Pepper / Snapple's corporate offices several times. They tell me its still being produced. I requested a list of where its being bottled and everytime I give them my info they have my local bottler call me with no information except they do not bottle it.

I have wrote a letters to Dr Pepper / 7up and to Cadbury / Shweppes requesting information on where this LICENSED to be bottles and where. I sent both letters certified. Both letters were signed for yet months later I still have no response.

My conclusion is Dr Pepper / Snapple are basically trying to get everyone to forget about so when they stop licensing to bottle it, no one is supposed to notice. Then they can focus on their A&W Brand, which is significantly different.

So my question is, at what point are we going to stop allowing these soda giants to do this to us. They bought Hires on purpose to phase it out. Now how do we bring this to light. Should or can we do anything about it?

Dr Pepper / Snapple will not allow me to have any access whatsoever to any corporate execs to ask them to make a motion to start producing more Hires. So what do we do???

Jax,
Yesterday I bought 2- 12 packs at Winco Foods in Kent, WA. Haven't tasted Hires in many years!! I drank gallons of it as a teenager. My all-time favorite root beer! Wish it was avaiable in glass bottles! Brings back childhood memories. No one at the store(mgrs were in a meeting) could tell me who bottles it.

CitrusCola
05-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Skeet,

Did you check the bottom of the cans to see what the canning plant code was?

Skeet
05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Skeet,

Did you check the bottom of the cans to see what the canning plant code was?

CitrusCola,
I saw a post from Tacbot.. Jan. 2011 that said it was probably canned by Noel Foods, Yakima,WA. Canning plant code has a YC....so I looked up Yakima Canning...which is...Noel Foods. Talked to the plant mgr. who said they make about 2-3 batches a year. They still have a demand in parts of the state..but he said that most of the buyers were probably Hires drinkers ...back in the 50's or 60's. So..he's afraid that one day..the demand won't be there.

CitrusCola
05-03-2012, 07:29 PM
That's about what the folks at Independent Beverages in Charlotte, NC told my brother (he's a huge Hires fan). They said that they only make 2L bottles of Hires because there's not much demand for it anymore.

thejax
05-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Not much demand for it anymore? Ha typical. I wonder why! They are making everyone forget about the brand.

Hi Everyone! I keep checking this from time to time but haven't commented in awhile. I have Hires IN CANS and 2 Liters in my posession at the moment. Was Not Easy.

Honestly, I am afraid DSPG monitoring this trying to make it go away even more so if you want to know where I got it, send me a message on here. All I have to say was, it wasn't cheap and it wasn't easy.

Thank you all for your dedication to this thread. Its really awesome I have all this support. Hires Root beer is amazing and thats the bottom line. I never heard Stone Cold say that but he isn't from Philadelphia. LOL

Skeet
05-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Not much demand for it anymore? Ha typical. I wonder why! They are making everyone forget about the brand.

Hi Everyone! I keep checking this from time to time but haven't commented in awhile. I have Hires IN CANS and 2 Liters in my posession at the moment. Was Not Easy.

Honestly, I am afraid DSPG monitoring this trying to make it go away even more so if you want to know where I got it, send me a message on here. All I have to say was, it wasn't cheap and it wasn't easy.

Thank you all for your dedication to this thread. Its really awesome I have all this support. Hires Root beer is amazing and thats the bottom line. I never heard Stone Cold say that but he isn't from Philadelphia. LOL

Jax,
I must be buying it cheaper than you. I bought a 12 pack for $3.98 at Winco Foods. I mentioned in my pm to you that I'm going up to Kent, WA this Friday...I'll see if they still have it and see what current price is. I'm sipping on a can of ice cold Hires as I type this. It puts a smile on my face!!

ithastabeshasta
05-25-2012, 09:52 PM
My wife came home with 2 - 12 packs today from a local grocery store here in Des Moines Iowa she paid $2.99 each (+ deposit here in IA)

Skeet
05-26-2012, 01:31 AM
i just returned from my trip up north. I bought 6-12 packs of Hires. The first four were on sale for $2.48 each and the other two were reg. price @ $3..38 each. This batch was just canned 2 weeks ago.

ithastabeshasta.....luv your user name. Every time I've driven by Mt. Shasta in Northern California...or I've bought a shasta soda...I always say out loud..."ithastabeshasta". Wife thinks I'm strange!!

drpep
07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
According to their website, www.7upbottling.com, the 7-up bottler in Reno, NV offers Hires in Bag in Box for fountain service.

CitrusCola
07-16-2012, 06:33 AM
While at Myrtle Beach recently, I spotted 2L bottles of Hires at a Kroger store. I bought a bottle to let my kids try it. All three of them didn't care for it. They said that it wasn't as good as A&W or even the generic root beer from Walmart.

I tasted it myself, and agreed with them.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
I was talking to a fellow beer distributor in Michigan and apparently they carry Hires Root Beer in 2/12pk cans. http://mbwwa.org/Distributors/Detail.aspx?DID=36&Company=Johnson%20Distributing%20Co.,%20Inc.

it doesn't copy well. go to the main site and search for Johnson Distributing.