PDA

View Full Version : Dr Pepper Ten

DPDude
01-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Has anyone seen the new Dr Pepper Ten? I found this at a WalMart on January 16th and learned later that it's part of a test being done in only six markets nationwide. The only mention I could find of this product was an article posted in the Dallas Morning News that describes it as a drink being marketed to young men.

For those who are just now hearing about this it is a ten calorie version of Dr Pepper and is sweetened by no less than three sweeteners: HFCS, aspartame and acesulfame potassium. It also has a higher caffeine content with 51mg's per 12oz serving. The product is so new that it actually has a 2011 copyright date on it.

So far I've only seen this in WalMart stores here in San Antonio and is available only in 12-packs of 12oz cans and 2 liter bottles. Austin, TX is also supposed to be a test market and the only other city in Texas that is getting it. I haven't heard anything about the other four test markets around the country but I'd assume that they would all be in areas with strong Dr Pepper sales.

Android
01-21-2011, 04:37 AM
I've tried it - it's completely un-special to me. It tastes OK but not really any better than Diet Pepper. If I want real Pepper, I'll buy it. Diet Pepper is already a good product. A bridge between them to me is unnecessary.

I got mine in Fort Collins, CO on Monday.

Dewman1979
01-21-2011, 05:12 AM
No reason to want this. DDP Cherry is outstanding.

fusion
01-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Two of the other test markets are Pueblo and Denver CO.

Glad that someone finally posted a picture of it.

I'm curious to see how it fares in the test markets.

DrJohn
01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I picked some up on the 16th at a Walmart Market - had it in 2-liters, and 20oz bottles. Grocery store had it in 2-liters and 12-packs of cans.

We also have Pibb Zero here, and that tastes less like diet than even diet Dr. Pepper...however, Dr. Pepper 10 beats them all.
I've sampled it with some people that don't care for *any* Dr. Pepper flavor, and they liked it.

SodaFan16
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I've never heard of it before, I need to go to Walmart soon and hope to find it there.

cokeman19
01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Is it possible to make 1/2 dr pepper and 1/2 diet dr pepper and bottle/can it?

This would probably be hard to do but...........I think a lot of people would like it. i always pour 1/2 coke and half diet coke at a fountain or order it that way in a restaurant.

Couln't this solve a lot of calorie issues and keep from having 3 or more sweeteners in one soda?

What would the label look like???????????????

CitrusCola
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
If this stuff makes it nationwide, I'd certainly like to try it. At least we have the Diet Dr Pepper Cherry here; it's really good.

I wish the folks at CCBCC would put Pibb Zero on the shelves around here. They sell Pibb Xtra, but not Zero.

Themaster73
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Is it possible to make 1/2 dr pepper and 1/2 diet dr pepper and bottle/can it?

This would probably be hard to do but...........I think a lot of people would like it. i always pour 1/2 coke and half diet coke at a fountain or order it that way in a restaurant.

Couln't this solve a lot of calorie issues and keep from having 3 or more sweeteners in one soda?

What would the label look like???????????????

Coke and Diet Coke aren't the same formula, Coke Zero would be what you are looking to mix with Coke.

fusion
01-24-2011, 01:03 AM
I wish the folks at CCBCC would put Pibb Zero on the shelves around here. They sell Pibb Xtra, but not Zero.

Have you tried the "new" Pibb Xtra? They changed the formula slightly, it reminds me more of the old Mr. Pibb. You can tell if it's new if you see the copyright of 2010 on the packaging, plus "artifically flavored spicy cherry" on the bottle/can/label.

CitrusCola
01-24-2011, 07:31 AM
fusion,

No, I've not had any Pibb Xtra in quite a while. I'll have to buy one of the 2L bottles the next time I see Coke products on sale.

Pibb seems to be an afterthought around here. While Dr Pepper (distributed by Pepsi in this area) has tons of shelf space in most stores, Pibb is usually limited to one stack of fridgepacks and one line of 2L bottles.

I really like the Pibb Zero because you could really taste the cinnamon flavor in it. Have they altered the formula for PZ too?

Dewman1979
01-25-2011, 03:39 AM
Have you tried the "new" Pibb Xtra? They changed the formula slightly, it reminds me more of the old Mr. Pibb. You can tell if it's new if you see the copyright of 2010 on the packaging, plus "artifically flavored spicy cherry" on the bottle/can/label.

http://distillery.s3.amazonaws.com/media/2011/01/07/3c20dfd78ddf4d8c987857ede11f4359_7.jpg

I see...

jbird
02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Dr Pepper to test low-calorie drink in KC - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/31/2623496/dr-pepper-to-test-low-calorie.html)

By JOYCE SMITH

The Kansas City Star

Kansas City, Dr Pepper wants your opinion.

The soft-drink company has picked our city and five others to test a new product called Dr Pepper Ten. The new drink will primarily target men who like the taste of regular soda but not the calories.

According to the company, Dr Pepper Ten was developed with a “one-of-a-kind, proprietary sweetener technology to deliver the taste experience of regular with just 10 bold calories.”

Dave Fleming, spokesman for the company in Plano, Texas, said that though many people liked the taste of diet soda, research showed some men thought they were giving something up when they drank a diet product.

Dr Pepper Ten is being rolled out locally at Super Target, Walmart and other groceries.

In March the company will bring in a mobile “man cave,” a temporary hangout with video games and other entertainments, as well as free samples of Dr Pepper Ten. It will stop at what the company called “testosterone zones” yet to be named. Readers, do you have some suggestions?

Dr Pepper Ten also will be tested in Des Moines, Iowa; Austin, Texas; Denver; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and San Antonio.

newCOKEcanuck
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Bring dr.pepper ten to canada!!!!!!
Bring pibb xtra spicy cherry to canada!!!!!!!!!

CitrusCola
02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I had a chance to try the tweaked version of Pibb Xtra today. I was not impressed. It tasted pretty bland.

Tannerman
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_drpepperten1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/23/dr-pepper-ten/)

A BevReview reader kindly sent me a bottle of Dr Pepper Ten, since I'm not living in one of the test markets. Read the full review (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/23/dr-pepper-ten/) for detailed thoughts, but in summary, it was disappointing. I actually felt that Diet Dr Pepper tasted better than Ten.

It's an oddly positioned drink with higher caffeine levels, and one would think that the 10 calories and HFCS would help it taste better, but they do not. Don't even get me started on the marketing proposition that "it's not for women" :)

Android
02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Sounds like your reaction was about the same as mine.

Mr Zabe
02-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Tannerman
Your full review of Dr Pepper Ten was brilliant!
Dr Pepper Ten's marketing to "men" is doom to fail.
As always, the tree picture rocks!

Dewman1979
02-24-2011, 03:08 AM
http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_drpepperten1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/23/dr-pepper-ten/)

A BevReview reader kindly sent me a bottle of Dr Pepper Ten, since I'm not living in one of the test markets. Read the full review (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/23/dr-pepper-ten/) for detailed thoughts, but in summary, it was disappointing. I actually felt that Diet Dr Pepper tasted better than Ten.

It's an oddly positioned drink with higher caffeine levels, and one would think that the 10 calories and HFCS would help it taste better, but they do not. Don't even get me started on the marketing proposition that "it's not for women" :)

Again, don't see the point. DDP cherry is already amazing.

And right on about Pepsi Max. Very good...very lost. Still waiting for mf Max cherry.

SodaFan16
02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
They're actually going to make Pepsi Max Cherry?

ATownAndrew
02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't see this drink lasting too long. Its really a bad idea with a horrible name. Multiple diet versions of the same drink only works in the cola category. Dr. Pepper is too much of a niche drink (all though it has a HUGE niche) and already has a diet version/caffeine free diet version and diet versions of all the flavor extensions.

ATownAndrew
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
So now we can categorize those Dr sodas as Spicy Cherry sodas. This Pibb Xtra label makes it official.

fusion
04-16-2011, 12:51 AM
That term has actually been used for years, it's nothing new.

Anyone heard any concrete data on DP10 in test markets?

The Dr Pepper bottler meeting is next month, so we should know soon after that if the drink is a success (and goes nationwide), or is a dud (and goes away).

fizzbizz
04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Heard the test markets are going well and a Q4 launch is possible

DPDude
08-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Just to let anyone who is interested know that Dr Pepper Ten is still being produced and regularly stocked in here in San Antonio. The latest batches I've seen are stamped with an October expiration date. 2 liter, 12 packs and 20oz bottles can still be found at locations around town. From a local retailer I know that carries the 20oz bottles in his vending machine Dr Pepper Ten is a strong seller.

fusion
08-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Heard the test markets are going well and a Q4 launch is possible

Heard the same as well. And early Q4, rather than later. But I guess that depends on the market and the bottler.

Dewman1979
08-19-2011, 04:32 AM
I still don't get the point of this. Dt DP cherry tells me this isn't needed.

fusion
08-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Supposedly the mouthfeel is more like that of regular Dr Pepper, since the lower amount of sugar covers up the artificial sweetener taste.

It is an odd proposition, since DPS has been pushing that Diet DP tastes like regular DP. In theory they do, since they use the same concentrate...

fizzbizz
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Dr. Pepper 10 is targeted at the male consumer who doesn't want to drink diets or doesn't like the taste. It is a bigger category than most people think. They will need to get this message across as it might be confusing. I have a buddy who works in one of the test markets and said the test went great. He said there was a bunch of excitemnt over the national launch. At least from the pepsi guys.

bigworld
08-26-2011, 08:37 PM
at Giant. It has a pleasant, sugary taste (even though it's made with HFCS) and is just a wee bit more bland than regular Dr Pepper. I like what they are trying to do here, and will buy it again.

The can design is horrible and gray, looks like a battery or something.

They had 12 packs of cans but no other format that I saw. Just came in off the Pepsi truck and wasn't even in Giant's POS system yet.

lordmadone
08-28-2011, 02:44 PM
All of what was said was true about why this product has a market..and the fact is the Male market is obviously what it is targeting. The Diet Doc is skewed more toward a female market and while it might taste like Doc..it doesnt have as similar of a consistency as Doc..now Dr10 supposedly does and will push for the 24-39 male market.

Dewman1979
08-29-2011, 12:07 AM
at Giant. It has a pleasant, sugary taste (even though it's made with HFCS) and is just a wee bit more bland than regular Dr Pepper. I like what they are trying to do here, and will buy it again.

The can design is horrible and gray, looks like a battery or something.

They had 12 packs of cans but no other format that I saw. Just came in off the Pepsi truck and wasn't even in Giant's POS system yet.

I will try it if it comes in the cherry flavor...otherwise I will pass and keep drinking diet dp cherry

Dewman1979
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
They now sell it here in 12 packs.

esw01407
09-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Found it at a Weis Markets in NEPA. Its ok, better then most diet's, but still lacking.

drpep
09-07-2011, 12:36 AM
NEPA? Yes I know but I doubt anyone outside of Scranton/Binghamton region knows NEPA.

SavageHenry
09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Drp10 is being pushed hard here. Pic of 20oz. Some coolers are being changed and dedicated to solely these.

http://i52.tinypic.com/16lelgk.jpg

FilmKrew
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
So I guess it's slowly making it's way across the U.S. or is it still in select areas? Has anyone seen these in the Bay Area (California)?

---------
rft 3 presents | Pop and Soda cans – all you need (http://rft3.wordpress.com/)

Dewman1979
09-08-2011, 05:02 AM
NEPA? Yes I know but I doubt anyone outside of Scranton/Binghamton region knows NEPA.

North east penn?

sublimecitrus
09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I would guess that the chance of DP10 coming up to Canada in the next while is probably less than zero.

I'm hoping that they release diet DP Cherry up here, but I can't see that happening...

Oh well. Next time I head down to North Dakota I'll have to stock up on anything cherry and perhaps some DP10 if they roll it out that far north.

ATownAndrew
09-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Don't really care for this one to come out. Will it be DP's C2 moment?

drpep
09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Found in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. 12 pack cans, 20oz and 2 liter. Tried one at room temp, tasted like Diet Dr Pepper. Will be trying a properly chilled one later.

drpep
09-10-2011, 10:23 PM
So-so. Doesn't fully taste like regular Dr Pepper and just a hint of Diet Dr Pepper. Won't be buying anymore after the current 12 pack is gone.

Dewman1979
09-13-2011, 03:54 AM
I like it...but don't love it....like I do dr. pepper cherry.

CitrusCola
09-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree. It's okay, but not as good as Diet Cherry Dr Pepper.

Dewman1979
09-14-2011, 05:00 AM
exactly. Dt DP Cherry is the best they have done. It made me drink DP.

DrPepperIsGood
09-16-2011, 02:46 PM
DrPepper10 goes national in October it seems?

jackinbox
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Found some tonight here in Indianapolis and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a huge improvement over Diet Dr. Pepper. I even like it better than the Cherry. I hope it stays around. For 10 calories, I don't think you could buy a better soda.

Irishpepsi04
09-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Found Dr Pepper TEN in 2 liter, 12-pack and 20-oz at TOPS Friendly Markets in the Buffalo area, especially Lockport, NY and at one other store, Wilson Farms and not found anywhere else yet.

FilmKrew
09-30-2011, 12:04 AM
^ Thanks for the heads up about the Buffalo area. I'll keep it mind next time I head across the border.

mcmannors
10-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Noticed today the 12 packs of Dr Pepper Ten in Warrington, Pa. (the Philly Coke bottler), Hellertown, Pa. (the Lehigh Valley Coke bottler), and in Flemington, N.J. (the NYC Coke bottler, as far as I know...any corrections are welcome)... Does anybody know if they will be coming out with 2 litre bottles or 20 oz. bottles eventually?

mcmannors
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Found Dr Pepper TEN in 2 liter, 12-pack and 20-oz at TOPS Friendly Markets in the Buffalo area, especially Lockport, NY and at one other store, Wilson Farms and not found anywhere else yet.

Get ready...most or all of the Wilson Farms stores will be converting to 7-Elevens soon...a few already have...

drpep
10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I've been waiting. Could find no information except the April press release. Didn't think it was going to happen until some pictures were posted on the Yahoo group.

mcmannors
10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I've been waiting. Could find no information except the April press release. Didn't think it was going to happen until some pictures were posted on the Yahoo group.

I recently posted a photo a buddy of mine took last week in Lancaster, NY. Also, former Wilson Farms in Tonawanda and one in Niagra Falls have converted already, according to the store locator at the 7-Eleven website...

drpep
10-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Spent some time in Concord, NC and Roanoke, VA. After several days I realized I needed to look for Dr Pepper Cherry football/scholarship cans. In stores that had 12 pack cans of Dr Pepper 10 there were no 12 packs of Dr Pepper Cherry. In stores that had DP Cherry there was no 10. I know Cherry is not discontinued but it looks like that's the flavor being pulled to make room for 10.

Mana211
10-16-2011, 09:52 AM
I was a big fan of C2 and I'm a diehard Coke Zero drinker. Before C2 went away I still drank DR Pepper on a daily basis (with C2 also a daily drink). When C2 went away I found Coke Zero was good enough that I stopped drinking Diet Dr Pepper and regular Dr Pepper (corn syrup). I've always said DR Pepper can have my business back when they go Ace K like zero or go for a cane sugar equivalent of C2.

Unfortunately 10 calories of corn syrup isn't enough to offset aspartame. 10 calories of cane sugar would work better but why oh why didn't they make it 23 calories in a 12oz can?

23 would be more than twice the sugar to allow a significant reduction in artificial sweeteners and it would match the marketing slogan about 23 flavors.

Oh, and one final complaint. I don't need more caffeine, I want less. Go for 23 mg caffeine per 12oz can as well.

If Ten gets cane sugar or drops the caffeine level below that of Coke Zero I'll take it seriously. If not I'll only buy it when it's significantly cheaper than Coke Zero which is never since they are price locked together in my region.

BluejacketT
10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I bought some at a Drug Warehouse & I thought it was good.

ATownAndrew
10-22-2011, 06:25 AM
I tried a 20oz bottle of DP Ten for the first time today and it wasn't half bad. Definitely better than Diet DP, although not as good as regular. I wouldn't get it on a regular basis, but once in awhile for sure. Looks like DP has its version of Coke Zero/Pepsi Max.

sublimecitrus
10-28-2011, 11:37 PM
I e-mailed Dr Pepper/Snapple Canada regarding the future availability of Dr Pepper up north, and I was told that there is currently no plan to make it available in Canada.

They then gave me the "We will forward your e-mail to marketing... blah, blah" line.

DrPepperIsGood
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
I e-mailed Dr Pepper/Snapple Canada regarding the future availability of Dr Pepper up north, and I was told that there is currently no plan to make it available in Canada.

They then gave me the "We will forward your e-mail to marketing... blah, blah" line.

Well not much more they can do for Canada really, DrPepper10 is a caffeinated diet basically... they would have to by law in Canada remove the caffeine since it doesn't occur naturally in the ingredients used... so you'd be left with Diet Caffeine Free DrPepper...

The whole purpose for DrPepper10 was a caffeinated light calorie drink for men afraid to drink something with the word Diet on it I guess?? If there was a higher per capita consumption of drpepper there it might be worth the cost to them...

hard for them to produce things just for Canada with such a lower population than the states (and consumption)... 30 million people versus 300 million... the states will dictate the north american market for the most part...