PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Throwback in Canada!

ScottyLibido
01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Was merchandising at a store yesterday in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and the Pepsi guy was delivery a pallet of mixed 12's and there was Pepsi Throwback on there. Pretty exciting because I love the product but hate paying .10 deposit in MI.

Shootmaster_44
01-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I found it here at a gas station too. Apparently they have it at WalMart here too. I wish they would bring it out in 2 Litres though. I did the taste test (bought one bottle of Throwback and one bottle of plain Pepsi) and I love the Throwback. Doesn't have that weird aftertaste regular Pepsi seems to have.

I wonder if this means that Mountain Dew Throwback might make an appearance here in Canada?

newCOKEcanuck
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Got my Pepsi Throwback yesterday as my fav store Save-On Foods was the only store to stock the new 12 packs as i searched other stores like Safeway,Wal-Mart and Zellers. I was tired of going to my 7-Eleven every day this last week spending $2.09 per bottle(591ml) but had no choice as i was waiting for my stores to get in the 12 packs. Plus due to SuperBowl weekend Save-On has all Pepsi products 12 packs for 3 for $10 untill tonight at closing time with ur save-on card. Stock up!

Shootmaster_44
02-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Got my Pepsi Throwback yesterday as my fav store Save-On Foods was the only store to stock the new 12 packs as i searched other stores like Safeway,Wal-Mart and Zellers. I was tired of going to my 7-Eleven every day this last week spending $2.09 per bottle(591ml) but had no choice as i was waiting for my stores to get in the 12 packs. Plus due to SuperBowl weekend Save-On has all Pepsi products 12 packs for 3 for $10 untill tonight at closing time with ur save-on card. Stock up!

Would be nice but there aren't any Save-On Foods here. Closest one is two hours away, so won't be making it in time. Found the 12 packs at WalMart. Still wish they sold 2 litres of them, I'm getting tired of the bags and bags of 591 ml bottles and 355 ml cans.

Not only that but living in a third floor walkup apartment makes carrying tons of packs of pop a pain. Regardless, thanks for the tip. I should get a Save-on Card so I can take advantage of deals when I'm in Edmonton.

Dewman1979
02-08-2011, 04:56 AM
I am assuming caffeine in pop is now allowed in Canada?

Tannerman
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Here's a look at the bilingual packaging for Canada Pepsi Throwback (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/08/pepsi-throwback-available-in-canada/):

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_pepsithrowback_canada1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/08/pepsi-throwback-available-in-canada/)

Shootmaster_44
02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
I am assuming caffeine in pop is now allowed in Canada?

Only Pop Health Canada allows caffeine in is brown pop (so colas, root beer and Dr. Pepper style drinks). I have no idea why, but I gather it has something to do with protectionism for Coke and/or Pepsi.

Anything else with caffeine in the pop family has to be labeled an Energy Drink and conform to health labeling laws. What I mean is they have to put the dosage on it and how much to not exceed in 24 hours etc. For awhile US Mountain Dew was marketed in Canada as Dew Fuel and the only difference was it had caffeine and was labeled as a health drink.

newCOKEcanuck
02-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Dewman1979, Canada has had caffeine in thier sodas forever. MTN DEW products are classified differently so it has to be caffeine free here. We did have a special edition "MTN DEW Fuel" produced a few years back and that one had intense caffeine amounts as it was classified as an energy product, basically it was AMP before AMP was ever born. Shootmaster_44 you got your stuff right, we know our stuff after reading what "dewman1979" wrote, i did not scroll down and read anymore posts as i just started writing this reply before i even read yours, lol! Maybe we should meet for coffee shootmaster_44 when you come down to edmonton an talk soda shop, lol! I thought i was the only soda geek until i saw this site years back, i knew i could not be the only freak, lol!

UncleBob
02-09-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm probably very wrong, but I thought the law regarding caffeine in Canada had something to do with "fruit" "flavored" sodas - which is why your Dews, oranges, grapes, lemon-limes, etc., etc. wasn't allowed to have caffeine in them...

Dewman1979
02-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Only Pop Health Canada allows caffeine in is brown pop (so colas, root beer and Dr. Pepper style drinks). I have no idea why, but I gather it has something to do with protectionism for Coke and/or Pepsi.

Anything else with caffeine in the pop family has to be labeled an Energy Drink and conform to health labeling laws. What I mean is they have to put the dosage on it and how much to not exceed in 24 hours etc. For awhile US Mountain Dew was marketed in Canada as Dew Fuel and the only difference was it had caffeine and was labeled as a health drink.

Wow, all this over caffeine. And lol at MD being a "health drink".

hitokage
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm probably very wrong, but I thought the law regarding caffeine in Canada had something to do with "fruit" "flavored" sodas - which is why your Dews, oranges, grapes, lemon-limes, etc., etc. wasn't allowed to have caffeine in them...
I can't speak for Canada, but I think that's what Austalia's law on caffeine is about. So if that's not Canada's reason, maybe that's the country you're thinking about.

UncleBob
02-10-2011, 12:26 AM
I can't speak for Canada, but I think that's what Austalia's law on caffeine is about. So if that's not Canada's reason, maybe that's the country you're thinking about.

It's very possible. Obviously, it doesn't really effect me, so I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the subject. :D

I'm sure I heard that from somewhere, so it's likely I heard Australia and thought Canada. I am American, after all - my geography skills are automatically sub-par. :D

hitokage
02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm American too, so of course I could be wrong as well. I do seem to remember seeing something about Australia's caffeine law while reading some articles about caffeine a while ago.

ScottyLibido
02-11-2011, 11:36 AM
The Throwback is only limited time only. It will be back in the fall :(