PDA

View Full Version : New diet soda study

cokeman19
02-09-2011, 07:58 PM
News spreads like wildfire these day with twitter and facebook. Does this story have any legs to make a dent in sales?

Daily diet soda tied to higher heart attack risk - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/)

Dewman1979
02-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Diet Soda Linked to Heart Attack, Stroke Risk - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269&page=1)

cokeman19
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
What a BS study. How did that get major news attention. I hope this story gets buried soon. One headline like this probably negates millions of advertising dollars. Nothing like having a headline read diet soda causes heart attacks with a diet coke in the picture next to it. Sometimes the internet pisses me off. How many people will "TWEET" don't drink diet coke when the study itself is Bullshi%.

Thanks for the abc link

DrPepperYummy
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Its unbelieveable people are calling this a study to prove anything... I think people are just picking an item and if you use it, and the group they find who uses it has a higher occurance of anything they now claim its a direct result of the random item they picked... with no actual scientific data...

they should have said people consuming 8 diet drinks a day, which happen to contain sodium, and then eating a pizza, and fried chicken, and all these other unhealthy choices in mass consumption is what really leads to the problems... not a diet soda alone...

moderation is key to anything...

I did a study on chickens crossing the road, so far none have made it across, I don't understand why they keep getting hit by cars... but I guess I will have to conclude, cars hate chickens, and want to attack them... we should outlaw cars cause they will kill all chickens...

I slap my head at the media or groups who want attention making things up without telling the whole true story... guns kill, lets stop making guns... how about paper, I hate papercuts and paper is the leading cause of those, lets ban paper... stop using paper in your copy machines!

P.S. you know what this reminds me off... we must ban high calorie sodas in schools, cause they have too much sugar... lets replace them with these sports and juice drinks instead... which contain just as much or more calories!!!! people just don't get it sometimes... this is so frustrating... they should check those sports and juice drinks for the sodium content, they are just as bad...

Themaster73
02-11-2011, 05:42 AM
This will help Mountain Dew stay at #3 for sure if it isn't there now. Diet Coke could drop to #4 in the rankings (or #5).

Sierra Mist Natural could make the top 10 for 2011, especially if Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Mountain Dew falls.

HFCS has already taken a huge hit, maybe Aspartame is next?

Aspartame will eventually be kicked out of Diet Sierra Mist (when it goes Natural) and replaced with PureVia

fusion
02-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I had someone ask me about this the other day. I took the time to explain to him about newspaper headlines (selling newspapers), research studies, replication, everything in moderation, and so on. It helps that I have an educational background in behavioral science, but I think this is something that Coke, Pepsi, the American Beverage Association, or someone is going to have to come out officially and make a statement.

Unfortunately, I think my message may have been a bit undervalued, since he stated something to the effect of me being against the article because I work for a soda company. Which is not true.

People really need to read more than headlines. The headline to this article is VERY misleading.

PureVia and Truvia aren't quite there yet when it comes to successfully sweetening beverages, imho. The licorice/anise taste is still too prominent.

Mr Zabe
02-13-2011, 01:19 AM
"The study, which followed more than 2,500 New Yorkers for nine or more years, found that people who drank diet soda every day had a 61 percent higher risk of vascular events, including stroke and heart attack, than those who completely eschewed the diet drinks, according to researchers who presented their results today at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles."

This sort of "study" is a joke for it's lack of scientific method.
Lack of controlling variables, replication, population cohorts from other geographic locations and
so on, all add up to "pay per view science".

Scientific method - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method)

Dewman1979
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
"The study, which followed more than 2,500 New Yorkers for nine or more years, found that people who drank diet soda every day had a 61 percent higher risk of vascular events, including stroke and heart attack, than those who completely eschewed the diet drinks, according to researchers who presented their results today at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles."

This sort of "study" is a joke for it's lack of scientific method.
Lack of controlling variables, replication, population cohorts from other geographic locations and
so on, all add up to "pay per view science".

Scientific method - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method)

The only thing that needs to be taken out of this is the fact that they cannot duplicate this study on a bet. Which destroys it's credibility.