PDA

View Full Version : Citrus Blast

The King
02-26-2011, 04:40 AM
I don't know if this is a test market soda or what, but I can't find any info online about it anywhere so I thought I'd bring it here.

I was at Stater Bros. here in Southern California, and this week they were advertising selected Pepsi 12-packs on sale. Among the sodas available is a new one called Citrus Blast. I decided to pick up a 12-pack and try it out.

Basically it's Pepsi's version of Squirt. The 4th ingredient is concentrated grapefruit juice, and the flavor isn't really much different than that of Squirt. It doesn't quite have the bite of Squirt, but the taste is sharper than that of Mountain Dew White Out, which I thought was incredibly bland. I doubt I'll be buying it again, but it's not too bad.

Anyone else try it?

Dewman1979
02-26-2011, 05:13 AM
I don't know if this is a test market soda or what, but I can't find any info online about it anywhere so I thought I'd bring it here.

I was at Stater Bros. here in Southern California, and this week they were advertising selected Pepsi 12-packs on sale. Among the sodas available is a new one called Citrus Blast. I decided to pick up a 12-pack and try it out.

Basically it's Pepsi's version of Squirt. The 4th ingredient is concentrated grapefruit juice, and the flavor isn't really much different than that of Squirt. It doesn't quite have the bite of Squirt, but the taste is sharper than that of Mountain Dew White Out, which I thought was incredibly bland. I doubt I'll be buying it again, but it's not too bad.

Anyone else try it?

what an awful name.

PepsiCo plans new grapefruit citrus soft drink *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/pepsico-plans-new-grapefruit-853464.html)

Dewman1979
02-26-2011, 05:13 AM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg611/scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=hr6.gif&xsize=640&ysize=640

Dewman1979
02-26-2011, 05:18 AM
Not an original name either.

Citrus Blast | XS Energy Drink | BevNET.com Product Review + Ordering (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/xsenergy/Citrus_Blast)

SodaFan16
02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Will buy and try once I see them out in stores.

Tannerman
02-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I did a little research on this (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/02/26/coming-soon-citrus-blast-diet-citrus-blast/)... the story behind who owns the trademark alone is interesting. Also found full nutritional facts and ingredients (diet version uses aspartame and Ace-K, 10 calories).

drpep
02-27-2011, 04:08 PM
20oz bottles and 12 pack cans of Citrus Blast and Diet Citrus Blast were found today in Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania. I did not buy any.

SodaFan16
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know if they will hit Chicago stores soon?

Dewman1979
02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
will try it when I see it, not excited in the least bit. Thanks to the stupid name.

CitrusCola
02-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I saw it yesterday in a grocery store in Marion, VA. I didn't buy any.

ATownAndrew
02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
This is a horrible name for a soda - it sounds generic. I love grapefruit sodas though i will try it when I see it (at a reasonable price).

On another note, why doesn't Pepsi buy the Crush brand already so this Citrus Blast can be called Grapefruit Crush instead? Is the Crush brand too expensive? Or is DPSU not willing to sell it? Or is it considered an anti-trust issue like when Pepsi tried to buy 7UP in the 80's? I wouldn't think it would be an anti-trust issue because DPSU already has Sunkist and Welch's as fruit soda brands and they are many other fruit soda brands, Fanta, Squirt, Cactus Cooler, etc. Also it seems like Pepsi distributes Crush in most of the US, so why not own the brand?

pepsiguy383
03-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Got this stuff at the plant last week. Started rolling it out on the trucks on Monday. Tried a can, and if you like Squirt, you'll like this. However, I don't see it going anywhere. I'll give it a year if that. Wouldn't be such a bad product if it wasn't for the generic name AND label. For Pepsi being such a good marketing company, you would think they could think of something a little more catchy.

rollntider
03-04-2011, 11:45 AM
they should call it Seirra Mist Grapefruit

Dewman1979
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
they should had called it Citrus Demon. with a tag that reads: This is a hell of a good soda!

SodaFan16
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Found it in 2 liters and 20 oz bottles in Jewel today. Didn't buy but will in the future.

fusion
03-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Anyone seen it in Philadelphia yet? Since the Wilmington and Baltimore production lines shut down, most of the Pepsi sodas here in DE come from Philadelphia.

I can get Squirt, but it either involves buying the glass bottled stuff from Mexico, or driving 40 minutes or so to the west or south to get it from Canada Dry (west) or PBV (south). A local option would be nice.

ThePieHole
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Fusion, I found 20 ouncers (regular only, not diet) at the Valero in that shopping center that splits Limestone Road and McKennan's Church Road in Pike Creek. I've often found some odd products there, so I didn't think much of it for a couple of days--never would have guessed it was Pepsi made.

That being said, I thought it was great. It's legitimately the "fruitiest" tasting soda I think I've ever had, or at least fruit juice tasting. I realize that's probably not much based on reality due to the scant amount of actual concentrate in the product, but nonetheless, I really enjoyed it. Will definitley keep my eye open for 12 packs. Especially since Northern Delaware doesn't have a Squirt carrier, although I do arguably think this was better.

Tannerman
03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_citrusblast1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/03/08/citrus-blast/)

Tracked down a bottle of Citrus Blast here in Chicago (though I haven't seen the diet version yet). It pretty much is a blatant knockoff of Squirt. In our BevReview review (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/03/08/citrus-blast/) (say that 10 times fast!) we compared it side-by-side with Squirt. The iconic Squirt flavor is sweet, citrusy, and has quite a bit of harsh bite that stings in the back of your throat. In contrast, while Citrus Blast also had the sweet, citrus flavor, it was considerably more smooth than Squirt. Overall, not bad, but not innovative either.

Don't get me started on the package design or naming. Did Pepsi even make an effort here?

DrPepperYummy
03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Rumor has it, this is an attempt to disrupt some of the sundrop exposure going on and get customers who are trying one new thing to try a second new thing and maybe keep trying and not getting set on sundrop... thats why it was so quickly rushed from the back burner of long ago to the front without much work to the name or logo... from the back of the company shelf to sales floor in a matter of a few months nationwide to react to a national rollout of sundrop... is this the future of the soda wars... I'll see your soda and raise you a...

P.S. Check the sundrop label... "citrus soda"... and then look at pepsi there... "citrus blast"... coincidence... I think not...

UncleBob
03-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I tried it. Wasn't impressed.

Dewman1979
03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Tried it, liked it...but don't drink grapefruit soda that often.

mjb1124
03-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I've tried both the regular and diet. Curiously, I found that the regular version tasted similar to Fresca/Citra, while the diet tasted more like Squirt.

Troy The Vault Drinker
03-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Tried it the other day. LOVED IT. I liked it better than Squirt. Will definately be picking up some 12 packs if they make them.

Mr Zabe
03-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I picked up both 20oz btls of Citrus Blast and Sun Drop.
I found them along with Sprite Green 12oz glass btl at my local
Walgreen's on Golf and Mt Prospect roads at Des Plains,IL.

I must say, Sun Drop is AWESOME!!!!! Instant bliss and joy. LOL
It's sweet, sort of a sweet tart orange flavor note that has a very pleasing
carbonation beginning to end mouth tingle. I gotta get some more of this, ASAP. LOL
Also, Sun Drop has a rather nice caffeine kick at approximately 105mgs per 20ox bltl.

I have yet to try CB.

The Truth
03-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Citrus Blast was a cross between Sun drop and SQurit. I finshed the bottle won't buy more.

Tannerman
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I must say, Sun Drop is AWESOME!!!!!

Yes, it is! :)

SodaFan16
03-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Sun Drop is indeed amazing. I hope it's permanent.

Mr Zabe
03-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I gave Citrus Blast a fair taste testing today. C.B. IMO barely makes it on my D list.
What was Pepsi thinking when they brought C.B. to market? It tastes like new formula 7-up with a mild hint of grapefruit. The citrus flavor note appears diluted with the citrus taste being after thought.

I do not feel that C.B. will last long as most any other citrus soda pop is better.

PINGAS Energy Drink
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I just found it today. Picked up a 2-liter of Diet. Although I like the Sun Drop they've started selling around here (I've only seen it down south before), I figured I'd go with Citrus Blast because it's caffeine free.

Crocodileguy
03-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Tried both Sun Drop and Citrus Blast today, and Sun Drop was waaaaaay too sweet and the aftertaste was too much like Pine-Sol for my liking. Pitched the bottle after three swigs. Gross.

Citrus Blast, however, is incredible. Great blend of bitter and sweet--unlike Squirt IMO it actually tastes somewhat like grapefruit, especially when the bitter notes kick in at the end. I just wish it were HFCS-free.

And the name? I think this would sell much better (and I'd like it a lot more) if it were a brand extension of Sierra Mist Natural.

SodaFan16
03-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Tried both Sun Drop and Citrus Blast today, and Sun Drop was waaaaaay too sweet and the aftertaste was too much like Pine-Sol for my liking. Pitched the bottle after three swigs. Gross.

Citrus Blast, however, is incredible. Great blend of bitter and sweet--unlike Squirt IMO it actually tastes somewhat like grapefruit, especially when the bitter notes kick in at the end. I just wish it were HFCS-free.

And the name? I think this would sell much better (and I'd like it a lot more) if it were a brand extension of Sierra Mist Natural.

Should be Sierra Mist Citrus Blast since they have Cranberry Splash.

Still haven't tried this yet.