PDA

View Full Version : 7Up Retro

Tannerman
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Word on the street (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/03/14/coming-soon-7up-retro/) is that DPSG will be announcing this drink during Celebrity Apprentice in May.

SodaFan16
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Nice, the more new soda, the better.

drpep
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
I saw 12 packs of 7-up with Apprentice wrap at a food show several weeks ago. I should have taken a closer look but I could have cared less about The Apprentice so I passed by the booth.

CitrusCola
03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
If they want something retro, they ought to bring back Upper 10.

janstett
03-17-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm very curious to taste this. When I tasted sugar 7-up in a bottle recently, it tasted like beer.

fusion
05-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Packaging is up on 7UP.com ? Home (http://www.7up.com) and I think it looks excellent, especially the old dot logo on the left.

I'm going to head out tomorrow and try and locate it.

SodaFan16
05-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Cans look good.

newCOKEcanuck
05-19-2011, 04:58 AM
7-UP Retro is not a true and a pure original when they put CDEDTA(liquid chemical stabilizer) this now food aditive used for so called freshness is bs! It is not needed as yes sugar sodas do not last long on the shelves but i think three to four months from production day without CDEDTA is fine enough for quality. That CDEDTA ingretient is undigestible for the human body to deal with. I found this out first hand as i cannot have and will not buy any products with that additive in them as i my digestive system shuts down from it. It was created and used by the drug industries and is used in all blood products across the world to keep blood products fresh and unclotted.

CitrusCola
05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Calcium disodium EDTA is used to help keep metal ions in solution and to slow down their chemical reactions. It is a common additive in foods and is also used in chelation therapy.

Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edta)

Dewman1979
05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Saw it at walmart. No interest.

iowacity
05-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow. The packaging is terrible. Should have gone with an authentic-looking period-styled can. Awful.

jackinbox
05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree. The old green light-bulb can from the 70s would have been better. Still, I'm happy to have 7-Up again without HFCS.

FilmKrew
05-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree that the packaging looks ridiculous, but it's being promoted as something limited made by reality show contestants and not 7up people so it's OK with me if it's for a short run. If the drink stays permanently, I think it will go to more traditional 7up old-school designs - like you guys mentioned.

fusion
05-21-2011, 11:24 PM
That CDEDTA ingretient is undigestible for the human body to deal with. I found this out first hand as i cannot have and will not buy any products with that additive in them as i my digestive system shuts down from it. It was created and used by the drug industries and is used in all blood products across the world to keep blood products fresh and unclotted.

Sorry, but I have to call bull**** on this. If it's undigestible, how can it affect your digestive system? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

You have to remember that back in the day, sodas were bottled in the morning and delivered in the afternoon, and consumed within a few days. Now, most foods and drinks have a long shelf life, due to transportation, storage, ordering, delivery, and so on.

I'm drinking a 7Up Retro as I type (over ice, since I just bought the 12 pack). I like the mouth feel, but the taste is a bit muted. Then again, I haven't had a regular 7Up in ages, so I really have nothing to compare it to.

It was canned on May 5th in College Point NY. So I assume Retro should be fairly easy to find in the Mid-Atlantic, NY/NJ.

I'm curious as to where the glass bottles will be sold at.

drpep
05-22-2011, 01:09 AM
I found the bottles of West Jefferson bottled 7Up,with real sugar, to be bland.

PepsiBlue
05-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Its so simple what can they should use for this.

http://usasoda.com/images/7up41.JPG

newCOKEcanuck
05-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I just wanted to comment as i know a lot about this chemical CDEDTA, back in the day "Fusion" soda companies never used any preservatives or food stabilizers in their products because three or four months on the shelf was quite good to them when using real ingretients. These days manufactuers want there products to last a lot longer to almost a year or more and that is why they use chemicals and stabilizers. Like it states on the product CDEDTA(freshness). This is why i am commenting on why 7-up Retro is not original as they are using this food stabilizer chemical CDEDTA in their product. Original 7-up never used to use any chemicals as it used to be basically just sugar, lemons, limes and carbonated water. A lot of these chemicals especially in diet sodas cause digestive issues. I used to be a huge diet soda drinker for most of my life and i experienced many digestive issues like IBS is one of them. I decided to quit all diet sodas completely and after a couple months i started to feel much better but still had some issues as i switched to regular sodas and i used splenda. I found out i could could not tolerate splenda and this chemical CDEDTA which can be found in any sodas regular or diet, and some boxed shelved and frozen foods now too. I am just stating what i have experienced and others have experienced these issues. If you look around there are a lot of fat people that drink diet sodas, and they are not loosing any additional weight but they keep buying the diet sodas in big amounts. They have digestive issues, acid reflux, ulcsers and more. Sure they eat other crap but i am just speaking about chemicals and food stabilizers used in sodas. I am not asking for a big combative fight either as i don't live that way so i am just stating my case.

CitrusCola
05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
The original 7 Up contained lithium citrate. Lithium is used as a treatment for some mental disorders. Perhaps some folks could use the original formula.

Why was lithium removed from 7-up? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090623132617AA3VOrN)

jacksmom
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I tried some and quite liked it. It had an actual flavor to it, as opposed to only tasting carbonation every time I drink a can of Sprite. :) It was very smooth and easy to drink.

ThePieHole
06-08-2011, 12:46 AM
I have to ask Fusion . . . where'd you find it exactly? I've checked every Acme, ShopRite, Safeway, and Giant I've come across in the last couple of weeks. Hess stations too, which were specifically mentioned in the 7-up website. No luck anywhere.

Man, incidentally, some of the Acme's I've went to have such lousy shelf placement for 7-up--end of the aisle, even saw today behind a stand up for one of those water additive products. If that's where Retro is going to be placed, it won't matter if the can is made of solid gold, no one is going to notice it.

ATownAndrew
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I've tried the new 7UP in a glass bottle (US made w/ real sugar) which is not called Retro but has a retro pre-70s logo. It tastes pretty good but I don't know how much of a difference there is between this and regular HFCS 7UP. I still haven't tried 7UP Retro in the can but I think both can designs look great (the celebs did a good job - or some marketing guy at DPSU did a good job of fooling us). I'm glad they decided to roll out both can designs and I may buy a 12 pack of each design when my soda inventory dwindles down a bit.