PDA

View Full Version : Maybe next year, Coke Zero

fusion
03-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Beverage Digest released the top 10 brands for 2010, and unfortunately Coke Zero missed the cut, again, probably due to strong growth from Diet Dew and Diet Dr Pepper. Pepsi and Diet Pepsi suffered huge losses, and Diet Coke is now cemented as the #2 brand.

Red Bull posted strong growth numbers, as did Hansen. But Pepsi's distribution of Rockstar increased their business almost 20%! That's incredible. I didn't know the brand could be grown that much, it seems like it stalled with us.

Anyway, the official results:

http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2011.pdf

Mr Zabe
03-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Found this story on the main page of today's Chicago Tribune web page.

Diet Coke unseats Pepsi as No. 2 cola (http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2011/03/diet-coke-unseats-pepsi-as-no-2-cola.html)

SodaFan16
03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Why do so many people buy Diet Coke?

Coke Zero >> Diet Coke.

Tannerman
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Why do so many people buy Diet Coke?

Coke Zero >> Diet Coke.

Either way, it's a good problem to have if you are Coke.

Crocodileguy
03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm curious as to the role of Throwback. It's popular enough to become a permanent offering, and what else could its sales cannibalize?

drpep
03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Coke Zero and Diet Coke are not the same drink. Diet coke has been around for ages and loyal Diet Coke drinkers are not going to switch to Zero.

drpep
03-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Fanta At #10? They should break it down by flavor. Why not combined the diet and regular colas?

fusion
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Official word: Coke Zero is #11.

popologist
03-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Coke Zero would be doing even better if the Coca-Cola company wouldn't keep holding it back. I think that they wanted Diet Coke to pass Pepsi so badly (for bragging rights), that they've been reluctant to push Coke Zero at restaurants & fountains... so it wouldn't compete with Diet Coke.

Now that Diet Coke is #2, perhaps they'll set Coke Zero free... :)

popologist
03-19-2011, 01:41 AM
I just crunched the numbers (based on the Beverage Digest article), and if Coke Zero continues growing at it's current rate of 17.5%, it will enter the Top Ten in 2-3 years... probably ousting Fanta from the #10 spot.

My projections:

2011: 160.3 (million cases)
2012: 188.3
2013: 221.3

If CZ is added to McDonald's fountains (on a wide scale), then it might happen even faster.

It's also time to release a Caffeine Free version of Coke Zero. :)

popologist
03-19-2011, 01:52 AM
I'm curious as to the role of Throwback. It's popular enough to become a permanent offering, and what else could its sales cannibalize?

I also wonder what role the new (unpopular) logos had on Pepsi's (and Diet Pepsi's) declines. Both are falling faster than everything else. It seems trivial, but packaging matters. I read somewhere that Coke increased sales volume (in the millions) just by changing the shape of the bottle.

I wouldn't be surprised if PepsiCo brings back the classic logo... now that Diet Coke is #2.

oz999
03-19-2011, 04:30 PM
For me it's the taste and flatness of Pepsi these days, I stopped drinking it because of Throwback. My g/f stopped because it goes flat within minutes. Possibly theres the same problem with Diet as Throwback (as of the current edition) shares this problem to a lesser extent.

Seriously...you could leave a coke out for hours and it still has plenty of bite.
I'm fairly sure Pepsi has only been like this for a year and a half. Maybe 2 max.

Mr Zabe
03-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Good old Pepsi has strong carbonation. Pepsi TB does not stay carbonated like regular Pepsi does. Ice cold Pepsi when stored correctly has "killer" mouth burn. Try cooling down
a 6pk of Pepsi 8oz cans; the first swig off an ice cold can burns like all heck.:) YUM

Pixel
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
For some reason, Coke has cut back on the massive sports marketing that Coke Zero had been doing for the past couple of years which probably has something to do with the slower growth.
The key is getting it into mainstream restaurants. They've got CZ started in McDonald's but it hasn't spread as quickly as I was initially hoping.

fusion
03-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Hmm? If anything, the sports marketing has increased significantly. Lots of sports related packaging, and it's been tied to major sporting events, currently the NCAA Final Four. The basketball 12 packs are pretty cool. And the 24 packs have a backboard you can cut out and stick on a small trash can and play paper hoops.

popologist
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Coke Zero's biggest obstacle is that it's competing with Diet Coke... especially now that Diet Coke is #2. The trick is growing CZ without cannibalizing DC's sales too much... which is why they target CZ so narrowly (primarily at men). In NYC, I've noticed that CZ's shelf-space has been growing, and it's now almost equal to Diet Coke... and sells out much quicker. Supermarkets are rarely out of DC, but often very low on Coke Zero.

I think the reason that Coke is finally putting CZ in restaurants & fountains is because they are feeling the heat from Pepsi Max in supermarkets (where Coke & Pepsi pretty much split the market). Since Coke controls 70% of fountains, CZ will likely pull away from PM if CZ gets a wide release at fountains/restaurants.

drpep
03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Could be wrong but I don't recall seeing Coke's NASCAR drivers holding Coke Zero bottles this year as they did last year.

Mr Zabe
03-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Good point. I have only seen them holding regular Coca Cola, usually 24oz bottles.
I make it a point to watch the pre and post race segments just to see what beverage
they are holding. LOL

mjb1124
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I think the reason that Coke is finally putting CZ in restaurants & fountains is because they are feeling the heat from Pepsi Max in supermarkets (where Coke & Pepsi pretty much split the market). Since Coke controls 70% of fountains, CZ will likely pull away from PM if CZ gets a wide release at fountains/restaurants.

This makes me think... could Pepsi's extensive pushing of Max be eating into Diet Pepsi's sales? I seem to see a lot more advertising for Max than Diet these days. And if Max is indeed close to Zero in supermarket sales, then the advertisement must be working, and some of its sales might be coming from former Diet Pepsi drinkers. Is it possible that unlike Coke, Pepsi is willing to let its "alternative" zero-calorie cola gradually overtake its old-school "diet" counterpart? I am starting to see some fountain presence for Max now.

popologist
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
This makes me think... could Pepsi's extensive pushing of Max be eating into Diet Pepsi's sales? I seem to see a lot more advertising for Max than Diet these days. And if Max is indeed close to Zero in supermarket sales, then the advertisement must be working, and some of its sales might be coming from former Diet Pepsi drinkers. Is it possible that unlike Coke, Pepsi is willing to let its "alternative" zero-calorie cola gradually overtake its old-school "diet" counterpart? I am starting to see some fountain presence for Max now.

Being #2, Pepsi definitely has more to gain and less to lose from taking chances. Pepsi Max, which was released before Coke Zero in Europe, is very popular in the UK. So, you may be right. Maybe Pepsi doesn't care where the growth is coming from, so long as there is growth. The reality is that Coke Zero was actually Coke's response to Pepsi One & Pepsi Max. I think Coke often lets Pepsi do the experimenting first... and then if they see a market there... Coke enters with its own product.

oz999
04-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Good old Pepsi has strong carbonation. Pepsi TB does not stay carbonated like regular Pepsi does. Ice cold Pepsi when stored correctly has "killer" mouth burn. Try cooling down
a 6pk of Pepsi 8oz cans; the first swig off an ice cold can burns like all heck.:) YUM

In chicago...not here though, not for a long time.

Theynine
04-18-2011, 01:26 AM
I find I alternate between Coke Zero and Diet Coke. But the only time I do Diet Pepsi is when Im forced to do the fountain at a restaurant. My uncle, ( who worked for Pepsi for many years) tried to turn me over to the dark side every time I visited, but I just never got the hang of it. Coke Zero is one of the better low cal soda's out there, but appears there are plenty of fans of 'full figured' orange pop out there.