PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer

skylark68
05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I was doing some random web searches of soft drinks that I've never had before. I came across Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. Is it pretty good? How does it compare to Boylan Birch Beer? That's the only other Birch Beer that i've tasted.

fusion
05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Not even close. Boylan's red birch beer is #1 for me.

PA Dutch is owned by Honickman Canada Dry, and they sell most of it, though PBV sells it in their MD/DE territories.

Birch Beer is primary a southeastern Pennsylvania drink, though it is popular throughout this region, and many brands are available. There are even a few clear birch beers (most are brown like root beer).

skylark68
05-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Interesting. So would it be worth trying? I can get Boylan's here pretty easily. Should I just stick with it? I don't want to order a 12 pack online if it isn't all that great.

Thanks fusion!

fusion
05-28-2011, 12:42 AM
It's not a bad drink at all, so I wouldn't dissuade you from buying it. I'm just saying it's nowhere near as good as Boylan's. But it certainly beats pretty much all of the other mass produced canned hfcs birch beer around here. Though I do have a soft spot in my heart for A-Treat.

ThePieHole
05-30-2011, 08:21 AM
They also make a sparkling variety, which is clear, that was on the fountain at many of the food concession locations at Hershey Park when I was there a week ago. I really rather enjoyed it, as did my family. They mention it on their facebook page: Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer - Info | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pennsylvania-Dutch-Birch-Beer/121907494532716?v=info)

although not on the website. There is an old photo here however:

anthony's root beer barrel | Pennsylvania Dutch Sparkling Birch Beer (http://rootbeerbarrel.com/1998/08/12/pennsylvania-dutch-sparkling-birch-beer/)

drpep
05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Catawissa Bottling makes a blue Birch Beer.

esw01407
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Catawissa Bottling makes a blue Birch Beer.

And White, Red, Brown, and Gold. Really good stuff.